[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Mark Friedman (1 year x $775k)

43 minutes ago, tas said:

my impression has nothing to do with the money given out and entirely to do with moving down the priority list. I recognize that friedman's contract has no bearing on their ability to afford zadorov. 

Therefore it does not affect the priority list. Filling out the bottom slots with low salary players is needed to offset the top salaries. I think the priority thing was more about fitting the higher salary guys in.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Honkin Hronek said:

We’re cooking!

NOW, we can plan the parade....

Actually, I do like this signing for depth, he was a serviceable fill in last year when we needed it. If he can'[t make the team out of camp, he doesn't cost us anything if he winds up in Abbotsford.

2 hours ago, tas said:

I'm not thrilled about filling in the bottom before the middle.

I'm interpreting this as them resigning themselves to the fact that zadorov is gone. I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be holding my breath. 

Umm, it’s just a depth signing and is no brainer. Has no impact on Zads or anyone else.

• Cheers 1

• Honkin Hronek changed the title to [Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Mark Friedman (1 year x $775k)
35 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Therefore it does not affect the priority list. Filling out the bottom slots with low salary players is needed to offset the top salaries. I think the priority thing was more about fitting the higher salary guys in.

as I've said, I suppose we shall see. 

2 hours ago, tas said:

I'm not thrilled about filling in the bottom before the middle.

I'm interpreting this as them resigning themselves to the fact that zadorov is gone. I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be holding my breath. 

Really? Just the opposite. Locking up a serviceable, depth, right side dman at league minimum lets the club know there is money hopefully left for the bigger ticket players. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

Really? Just the opposite. Locking up a serviceable, depth, right side dman at league minimum lets the club know there is money hopefully left for the bigger ticket players. 

sure. it's just the opposite of how allvin has twice now stated he was approaching things. 

we'll see when zadorov signs on the dotted line. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

sure. it's just the opposite of how allvin has twice now stated he was approaching things. 

This has zero bearing on Zadorov hell Castonguay probably did this start to finish with PA involvement being nothing more than Emilie telling him he's signed. You're making a mountain out of a molehill. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

This has zero bearing on Zadorov hell Castonguay probably did this start to finish with PA involvement being nothing more than Emilie telling him he's signed. You're making a mountain out of a molehill. 

I'm not making anything out of anything. I'm drawing a conclusion for my own expectations based on my own perceptions of how things have played out. I'm not trying to convince anybody. 

36 minutes ago, Rekker said:

A very logical take on the situation IMO.

Signing Friedman doesn't mean Zadorov can't be signed. If Zadorov was already signed we would still need to fill out our roster with players on affordable deals. 

Hell, alot of our best prospects in the AHL have a higher AAV than what Friedman just signed for. He MIGHT have been able to sign for a little more somewhere 

else in FA.  At least we know Friedman fits in well here and can play Tocchets system when called upon. He also plays the right side as opposed to Zads left side.

Seems like Friedman is value added depth and potentially a place holder for Willander next season. 

I thought it was a tidy piece of business by the Canucks.

Edited by Blitz-Pix

4 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

A very logical take on the situation IMO.

Signing Friedman doesn't mean Zadorov can't be signed. If Zadorov was already signed we would still need to fill out the roster players on affordable deals.

Hell, alot of our best prospects in the AHL have a higher AAV than what Friedman just signed for. He MIGHT have been able to sign for a little more somewhere 

else in FA.  At least we know Friedman fits in well here and can play Tocchets system when called upon. He also plays the right side as opposed to Zads left side.

Seems like Friedman is value added depth and potentially a place holder for Willander next season. 

I thought it was a tidy piece of business by the Canucks.

The fact the entire cap hit could be buried in the minors means this has NOTHING to do with Zadorov.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, tas said:

Meh. As others have stated, the two have little to do with each. Depth D is needed either way. 

• Cheers 1