[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Mark Friedman (1 year x $775k)

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Meh. As others have stated, the two have little to do with each. Depth D is needed either way. 

sure. you are all entitled to interpret things however you like. i reserve the right to do the same. 

the one thing I can say for certain is that people's attempts to convince me I'm wrong are falling on deaf, disinterested ears. 

Edited by tas

1 minute ago, Rypien-Punch said:

Priority on signing RD shows how shallow our depth pool in that position is for this team

Bingo...until Hronek signed, we only had Noah Juulsen under contract on the right side. 

25 minutes ago, tas said:

sure. you are all entitled to interpret things however you like. i reserve the right to do the same. 

the one thing I can say for certain is that people's attempts to convince me I'm wrong are falling on deaf, disinterested ears. 

Your interest level has no bearing on how right/wrong you are.  

A league minimum contract has absolutely no effect on any other signings regardless of how you interpret it.  There are plenty of sources that can break down why in an easy to understand way.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, tas said:

2 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Your interest level has no bearing on how right/wrong you are.  

A league minimum contract has absolutely no effect on any other signings regardless of how you interpret it.  There are plenty of sources that can break down why in an easy to understand way.

not getting it, huh?

5 minutes ago, tas said:

not getting it, huh?

Getting what? I’m not trying to convince you of anything.  
Simply pointing out that what you said is irrelevant to what is true.  

Though perhaps you aren’t being entirely honest? If it was truly “falling on deaf disinterested ears” I doubt you would have so many posts in the thread.

4 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Getting what? I’m not trying to convince you of anything.  
Simply pointing out that what you said is irrelevant to what is true.  

Though perhaps you aren’t being entirely honest? If it was truly “falling on deaf disinterested ears” I doubt you would have so many posts in the thread.

you telling me I'm wrong is trying to convince me, and you asserting you're right is hubris. 

unless you're patrick allvin in the flesh you genuinely don't have a goddamn clue, so kindly stop trying to force your opinion on me -- saying the same regurgitated thing as everyone else before you in the thread isn't moving the needle for me. 

not everything on the internet has to be an argument. people are allowed to have different interpretations than you. 

Edited by tas

32 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Bingo...until Hronek signed, we only had Noah Juulsen under contract on the right side. 

Depth on the RHD side is always an issue.  It's the most difficult position to fill IMO.

As of now, we have:

Hronek

Juulsen

Friedman

Mcward

Johansson

Woo

Felton

We're seriously missing another guy capable of 18 to 19min per night.  Myers is the obvious choice given how much of a discount he would likely give us. 

Personally, if Zadorov doesn't re-sign, I'd spend the money and a bit more to lock in another true top 4 RHD instead of finding another LHD replacement.  It's an unusual UFA year where there are a lot of RHD available.  Now is the time to lock another one in if possible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

you telling me I'm wrong is trying to convince me, and you asserting you're right is hubris. 

unless you're patrick allvin in the flesh you genuinely don't have a goddamn clue, so kindly stop trying to force your opinion on me -- saying the same regurgitated thing as everyone else before you in the thread isn't moving the needle for me. 

not everything on the internet has to be an argument. people are allowed to have different interpretations than you. 

How dare you listen to what Alvin said, and take him at his word, regarding how he was going to do the signings.

------------------

I'm thinking Alvin kind of messed up with his english/wording--- but have no issues with you pointing at what he said.

If he did in fact mean he was doing this in order of importance, one could think that perhaps the rest of the unfilled spots are going to be taken care of in free agency.--which would be scary as F.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

This comment from you is very telling.  There is no interpretation to be made.

Talk about hubris lol.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Baratheon said:

This comment from you is very telling.  There is no interpretation to be made.

Talk about hubris lol.

how isn't there an interpretation? of course there is. i described how I'M choosing to INTERPRET the meaning of the signing.

I do not care if you agree. nothing could matter less to me. 

55 minutes ago, tas said:

Yip, all entitled to our opinions. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, tas said:

how isn't there an interpretation? of course there is. i described how I'M choosing to INTERPRET the meaning of the signing.

I do not care if you agree. nothing could matter less to me. 

Lol I suppose you’re right.  You can interpret math however you like and we don’t have to agree.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

as I've said, I suppose we shall see. 

We shall see what?  The 7 spot was going to filled with the same salary or more. How does this signing affect negotiations with other UFAs? If other UFAs choose to go for a higher salary elsewhere it will have absolutely nothing to do with signing Friedman.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

15 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Depth on the RHD side is always an issue.  It's the most difficult position to fill IMO.

As of now, we have:

Hronek

Juulsen

Friedman

Mcward

Johansson

Woo

Felton

We're seriously missing another guy capable of 18 to 19min per night.  Myers is the obvious choice given how much of a discount he would likely give us. 

Personally, if Zadorov doesn't re-sign, I'd spend the money and a bit more to lock in another true top 4 RHD instead of finding another LHD replacement.  It's an unusual UFA year where there are a lot of RHD available.  Now is the time to lock another one in if possible.

This year's UFA crop is a bit of a unicorn when it comes to available RHD,

It would make sense to try and sign someone even on a short term deal...If we have the space. 

Edited by Blitz-Pix

4 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

We shall see what?  The 7 spot was going to filled with the same salary or more. How does this signing affect negotiations with other UFAs? If other UFAs choose to go for a higher salary elsewhere it will have absolutely nothing to do with signing Friedman.

IMG_0553.gif.a74be7f9c71fe1b7ddd92bc108974c4b.gif

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

As of now, we have:

Hronek

Juulsen

Friedman

Mcward

Johansson

Woo

Felton

Not a lot of experience in that group. Zadorov would be a necessity if I'm PA.

7 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Lol I suppose you’re right.  You can interpret math however you like and we don’t have to agree.

math doesn't enter this equation, as I've mentioned several times. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

we shall see if canucks management continues moving on to other priorities than zadorov. 

1 hour ago, tas said:

sure. it's just the opposite of how allvin has twice now stated he was approaching things. 

we'll see when zadorov signs on the dotted line. 

Even if Zads doesn’t sign, it will have had fuck-all to do with signing a 8, 9, 10 depth D. Zero, nada. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

It looks like we will be running a similar defence to last year. 

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy -

- 

Friedman - Juulsen

I think we fill those remaining spots with Zadorov, Myers and Hakanpaa. 

1 minute ago, Johngould21 said:

Not a lot of experience in that group. Zadorov would be a necessity if I'm PA.

Zadorov is a LHD.

On the left side, we have:

Hughes

Soucy

Brisebois

Wolanin

Hirose

DPetey

Kurdryavtsev

Mynio

Cicek

We could use another experienced LHD, but it's not as urgent as a RHD to slot in behind Hronek.  We have Hughes and Soucy on the left side capable of top 4 minutes.  Zadorov is a luxury as it pushes Soucy down a slot.

1 minute ago, tas said:

we shall see if canucks management continues moving on to other priorities than zadorov. 

What would that have to do with this signing? You keep ignoring that part.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, J-23 said:

It looks like we will be running a similar defence to last year. 

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy -

- 

Friedman - Juulsen

I think we fill those remaining spots with Zadorov, Myers and Hakanpaa. 

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Is definitely a serviceable top 4 group, but I'd say that if we ran Soucy-Myers as a 2nd pair, the 3rd pair should be equally capable to split the minutes more evenly. 

Dillon-Hakanpaa would be a reasonable pair that would probably cost $6M to $6.5M combined.

Zadorov-Juulsen would be another.

Zadorov-Hakanpaa would be most expensive, but probably most effective.