[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Mark Friedman (1 year x $775k)

3 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Even if Zads doesn’t sign, it will have had fuck-all to do with signing a 8, 9, 10 depth D. Zero, nada. 

you're still misinterpreting my premise. at no point have I suggested a causative relationship, just a correlation. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

What would that have to do with this signing? You keep ignoring that part.

oh my god, this is like smashing my head against the wall. 

at no point have I suggested the canucks won't sign zadorov BECAUSE they signed friedman. I've suggested that the fact they've signed friedman now, before zadorov and others, suggests that they've moved on down their list of priorities to things they feel like they can accomplish. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

What would that have to do with this signing? You keep ignoring that part.

It would have EVERYTHING to do with it!  If you choose to “interpret” it that way. Haha

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, tas said:

oh my god, this is like smashing my head against the wall. 

at no point have I suggested the canucks won't sign zadorov BECAUSE they signed friedman. I've suggested that the fact they've signed friedman now, before zadorov and others, suggests that they've moved on down their list of priorities to things they feel like they can accomplish. 

Or maybe they can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Is definitely a serviceable top 4 group, but I'd say that if we ran Soucy-Myers as a 2nd pair, the 3rd pair should be equally capable to split the minutes more evenly. 

Dillon-Hakanpaa would be a reasonable pair that would probably cost $6M to $6.5M combined.

Zadorov-Juulsen would be another.

Zadorov-Hakanpaa would be most expensive, but probably most effective.

What do you think Hakanpaa is going to get? The analytics salary projections that everyone seems to be following has him making 1.5 million. I think he gets closer to 2 million

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

Or maybe they can walk and chew bubblegum at the same time.

sure, interpret it however you want. I'm not trying to tell anyone to see things my way. christ almighty. 

Just now, J-23 said:

What do you think Hakanpaa is going to get? The analytics salary projections that everyone seems to be following has him making 1.5 million. I think he gets closer to 2 million

I have him pegged around $2M.  Dillon around $4M.  Could be a good pairing that doesn't cost an arm and a leg... $6M total.

34 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Personally, if Zadorov doesn't re-sign, I'd spend the money and a bit more to lock in another true top 4 RHD instead of finding another LHD replacement. 

Yup. 

Hughes, Hronek

Soucy, Tanev

____, Myers/Hakanpaa/Lyubushkin etc

Would be just fine if Z is keen on chasing $$'s

As for Friedman, yippee, solid depth signing.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Yup. 

Hughes, Hronek

Soucy, Tanev

____, Myers/Hakanpaa/Lyubushkin etc

Would be just fine if Z is keen on chasing $$'s

I think Tanev will get more than people think.  Not worth it IMO.  Plus that pairing of Soucy-Tanev feels like it might break lol.

6 minutes ago, tas said:

you're still misinterpreting my premise. at no point have I suggested a causative relationship, just a correlation. 

I would say that this statement from you is clearly suggesting a causative relationship rather than suggesting a correlation:

I'm interpreting this as them resigning themselves to the fact that zadorov is gone. I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be holding my breath. 

if that’s not causative then you were very unclear regarding the language you used. 

• Like 1

Just now, steviewonder20 said:

I would say that this statement from you is clearly suggesting a causative relationship rather than suggesting a correlation:

I'm interpreting this as them resigning themselves to the fact that zadorov is gone. I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be holding my breath. 

if that’s not causative then you were very unclear regarding the language you used. 

drawing a conclusion isn't the same as establishing causation. learn how logic and reason works. 

my suggestion isn't that signing friedman means they can't sign zadorov, my suggestion is that the fact they HAVE signed friedman suggests to me they've moved down their list of priorities. allvin has said twice, including as recently as yesterday, that he's operating with a free agent pecking order. 

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think Tanev will get more than people think.  Not worth it IMO.  Plus that pairing of Soucy-Tanev feels like it might break lol.

Plus, people assume that Tanev wants to come back here. I think it's more likely that he wants to go to Toronto.

1 minute ago, tas said:

drawing a conclusion isn't the same as establishing causation. learn how logic and reason works. 

my suggestion isn't that signing friedman means they can't sign zadorov, my suggestion is that the fact they HAVE signed friedman suggests to me they've moved down their list of priorities. allvin has said twice, including as recently as yesterday, that he's operating with a free agent pecking order. 

Still deaf and disinterested or naw?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think he'll be right around $4.5-$5.5. If we're not spending that on Z, I'm fine with it going to Tanev on a short 2-3 year deal. Pesce would be even better but likely costs $500k +/- more than Tanev and like 2-3X the term.

Just now, aGENT said:

I think he'll be right around $4.5-$5.5. If we're not spending that on Z, I'm fine with it going to Tanev on a short 2-3 year deal. Pesce would be even better but likely costs $500k +/- more than Tanev and like 2-3X the term.

I think Tanev clears $5M with some team.  I'd go after Demelo if we're hitting that $5.5M mark.  Matt Roy might come in around $5.5M to $6M too.

3 minutes ago, tas said:

Sure, and if you've gone down your pecking order and one of them is playing hard to get, you don't just stop there and not sign anyone else further down the list. Particlarly a depth D at league min that makes literally zero difference to your cap situation. Seriously WTF are you going on about? 😂

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, HKSR said:

I think Tanev clears $5M with some team.  I'd go after Demelo if we're hitting that $5.5M mark.  Matt Roy might come in around $5.5M to $6M too.

There's always a possibility players chase money. Just because "some team" might pay him a hair over $5m, doesn't mean that's what his actual market value is, or that the Canucks would need to pay him that.

14 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Still deaf and disinterested or naw?

in the arguments of people trying to convince me I'm wrong? absolutely. notice how I haven't addressed any of the bland, repetitive, surface level arguments that have been posted ad nauseum, which I'd already considered and dismissed before making the post in the first place?

do you really think that after being part of this community for 20 years that i simply wouldn't have considered something as elementary as "durrrrr a league minimum contract doesn't mean zadorov can't fit"?

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure, and if you've gone down your pecking order and one of them is playing hard to get, you don't just stop there and not sign anyone else further down the list. Particlarly a depth D at league min that makes literally zero difference to your cap situation. Seriously WTF are you going on about? 😂

I'm going on about my belief that they've likely moved on to other priorities. they, in my opinion, at this point, aren't waiting on pins and needles for zadorov to come around. in my opinion, they've made their best offer, he hasn't signed, they've moved along. 

if he gets signed here, which i want, I believe it will only be on the basis that he comes back to the table and accepts what they've offered. they aren't still pushing. 

3 minutes ago, tas said:

Tas, have a nice day. I should have stopped when you admitted that you had a closed mind and weren’t listening. If it appears that everyone else here is misinterpreting what you claim to intend, maybe look at the wording of your own statements.

In terms of our GM’s priorities, he has the need to multi-task, so while Zads or his agent might be considering the latest offer or be working on a possible counter proposal, PA doesn’t just sit around playing with himself; easy and affordable depth signings get done without any change to the priorities they established. He’d be a shitty GM rather than runner-up for GM of the year, if he sat there working on priority #1 and then did absolutely nothing else till that was resolved. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

in the arguments of people trying to convince me I'm wrong? absolutely. notice how I haven't addressed any of the bland, repetitive, surface level arguments that have been posted ad nauseum, which I'd already considered and dismissed before making the post in the first place?

do you really think that after being part of this community for 20 years that i simply wouldn't have considered something as elementary as "durrrrr an entry level contract doesn't mean zadorov can't fit"?

You made a leap of logic based on comments. There's still almost two weeks until free agency. I highly doubt that they stopped negotiating with our UFAs.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, tas said:

I'm not thrilled about filling in the bottom before the middle.

I'm interpreting this as them resigning themselves to the fact that zadorov is gone. I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be holding my breath. 

It's a base level contract. Literally him in a roster spot is the best case scenario in terms of cap space to sign a player like Zadorov. You literally cannot have a lower cap hit for a roster spot, so I have no idea how you came to the conclusion that Zadorov's gone just because of this.

Edited by The Lock

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

It's a base level contract. Literally him in a roster spot is the best case scenario in terms of cap space to sign a player like Zadorov...

not big on looking before you leap, eh?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

do you really think that after being part of this community for 20 years that i simply wouldn't have considered something as elementary as "durrrrr an entry level contract doesn't mean zadorov can't fit"?

I guess I’m just not following your logic.  Even if you’re right in that they’ve moved on, how is this a sign of it?  How would this be an indication of where they are in the priority list?  

Just now, tas said:

not big on looking before you leap, eh?

No idea what you're even talking about with that to be honest.

I simply do not see how one contract affects the other in this case, whether you're talking cap hit or order or signing.