[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Mark Friedman (1 year x $775k)

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's always a possibility players chase money. Just because "some team" might pay him a hair over $5m, doesn't mean that's what his actual market value is, or that the Canucks would need to pay him that.

Absolutely.  And especially with UFAs, they can pick where they want to play.  Sounds like Dallas would very much like to bring him back into the mix, and the feeling is mutual, so the Canucks might not even get a crack at signing him anyways.  I don't see Tanev coming to Vancouver and signing for extra cheap just because of the history here.  He has just as much reason to sign with Dallas, or even Toronto.

2 hours ago, tas said:

sure. it's just the opposite of how allvin has twice now stated he was approaching things. 

we'll see when zadorov signs on the dotted line. 

He didn't even really state it. The media person asking the question did. And, Allvin just kind of molded his answer to the question. But have fun getting hung up on semantics.

Just now, Bob Long said:

I don't think this signify's anything other than this probably took a grand total of 5 minutes for them to compete. PA could have been on the can for this one. 

Exactly this. Any thinking beyond that is just silly.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

I guess I’m just not following your logic.  Even if you’re right in that they’ve moved on, how is this a sign of it?  How would this be an indication of where they are in the priority list?  

friedman is very near the bottom of it. he's among the smallest fish they have to fry. 

I sincerely hope you're all right, as I said in the original post, but based on the fact they've moved on to small fry, and based on allvin's tone yesterday which made it clear fans were going to be disappointed, I've chosen to read between the lines. 

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, tas said:

friedman is very near the bottom of it. he's among the smallest fish they have to fry. 

I sincerely hope you're all right, as I said in the original post, but based on the fact they've moved on to small fry, and based on allvin's tone yesterday which made it clear fans were going to be disappointed, I've chosen to read between the lines. 

Even if Zadorov signs it won't be because of this.

They're MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE. lol

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

No idea what you're even talking about with that to be honest.

I simply do not see how one contract affects the other in this case, whether you're talking cap hit or order or signing.

go read the last 6 pages and you might get an idea. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don't think this signify's anything other than this probably took a grand total of 5 minutes for them to compete. PA could have been on the can for this one. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Allvin wasn't even involved in that conversation. Instead someone else in management did the paperwork and had Friedman sign. Allvin showed up to shake hands.

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, tas said:

go read the last 6 pages and you might get an idea. 

That's not worth my time if you're not willing to explain. I fail to see how reading that's even going to change what I think. There's no logic I can see that would make sense other than overthinking.

3 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

He didn't even really state it. The media person asking the question did. And, Allvin just kind of molded his answer to the question. But have fun getting hung up on semantics.

he said it previously, which was what j

ian macIntyre was alluding to. allvin reaffirmed it. 

11 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm going on about my belief that they've likely moved on to other priorities. they, in my opinion, at this point, aren't waiting on pins and needles for zadorov to come around. in my opinion, they've made their best offer, he hasn't signed, they've moved along. 

if he gets signed here, which i want, I believe it will only be on the basis that he comes back to the table and accepts what they've offered. they aren't still pushing. 

Sure. Tend to agree. WTF does that have to do with Friedman that you've been going on about it for 7 pages...?

Just now, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Allvin wasn't even involved in that conversation. Instead someone else in management did the paperwork and had Friedman sign.

yep this feels like AGM work all the way. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Even if Zadorov signs it won't be because of this.

They're MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE. lol

still not grasping that whole correlation vs causation thing hey?

Just now, tas said:

still not grasping that whole correlation vs causation thing hey?

Correlation does not mean causation if that's what you're talking about, which fully goes by what I'm saying.

1 minute ago, tas said:

I guess I see where you’re coming from.  I suppose most don’t see Friedman as even being a part of the list.  

Do you think that means no action on July 1?  

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

That's not worth my time if you're not willing to explain. I fail to see how reading that's even going to change what I think. There's no logic I can see that would make sense other than overthinking.

if you're too lazy to read the conversation don't try to get involved in it. 

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Absolutely.  And especially with UFAs, they can pick where they want to play.  Sounds like Dallas would very much like to bring him back into the mix, and the feeling is mutual, so the Canucks might not even get a crack at signing him anyways.  I don't see Tanev coming to Vancouver and signing for extra cheap just because of the history here.  He has just as much reason to sign with Dallas, or even Toronto.

Tanev is too old

• Like 1

Just now, Baratheon said:

I guess I see where you’re coming from.  I suppose most don’t see Friedman as even being a part of the list.  

Do you think that means no action on July 1?  

not at all. those priorities can't be addressed right now. the priority list starts fresh july 1. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think he'd be just as, possibly more, happy to sign in Van with a chance to reunite with Hughes, come back to his original (competitive) team, in a good city etc. Who said anything about "extra cheap". I think if we're in the ballpark +/- a few hundred K and term, he'd happily have us on his short list.