[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Mark Friedman (1 year x $775k)

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Correlation does not mean causation if that's what you're talking about, which fully goes by what I'm saying.

you keep telling me that zadorov not signing won't have anything to do with the fredman signing which means you're struggling with the concept.

1 minute ago, tas said:

if you're too lazy to read the conversation don't try to get involved in it. 

And if you're too lazy to provide a simple explanation and just respond with cryptic statements, don't expect others to fully understand your point of view.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Tanev is too old

remember when people said the same thing 4 years ago?

all he's done is made 2 more organizations fall deeply in love with him since. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Tanev is too old

Perfect stop gap for Willander really. Moderate price, won't cost 5+ years of locked in term, still VERY effective at what he does.

3 minutes ago, tas said:

ok. 

Well, if you want to look at it word for word and letter by letter. If there's a strict pecking order, then no one gets signed now that is higher than Friedman on the depth chart. 

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

And if you're too lazy to provide a simple explanation and just respond with cryptic statements, don't expect others to fully understand your point of view.

I'm not going to say the same things over and over and over again to spoonfeed each individual person who can't or has chosen not to follow along. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think he'd be just as, possibly more, happy to sign in Van with a chance to reunite with Hughes, come back to his original (competitive) team, in a good city etc. Who said anything about "extra cheap". I think if we're in the ballpark +/- a few hundred K and term, he'd happily have us on his short list.

Guess we'll see... I think he'll be a $5M+ cap hit no matter where he signs. 

Just now, tas said:

you keep telling me that zadorov not signing won't have anything to do with the fredman signing which means you're struggling with the concept.

If you complete a small task before a large task, does that mean you'll never complete that large task or does it just mean you have a small task out of the way?

I'm not struggling with the concept at all. My career is based around decision making such as this.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, tas said:

not at all. those priorities can't be addressed right now. the priority list starts fresh july 1. 

That makes sense. 

I’m still not buying that one thing affects the other however.  That’s wildly pessimistic no?  You legitimately believe that the GM working under Jim Rutherford has essentially thrown in the towel with this much time (and the draft) before July 1?

2 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Well, if you want to look at it word for word and letter by letter. If there's a strict pecking order, then no one gets signed now that is higher than Friedman on the depth chart. 

don't be shocked if that's how it plays out. 

i think myers likely has a verbal deal to take whatever scraps are left if they can make something reasonable  work, and they might convince a blueger to come around, but it might be a little scary going into july 1st. 

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

If you complete a small task before a large task, does that mean you'll never complete that large task or does it just mean you have a small task out of the way?

I'm not struggling with the concept at all. My career is based around decision making such as this.

if you come out and specifically say you're addressing your tasks in order of big task to small task, it's fairly reasonable to conclude that if you skip a big task in favour of a small one, you may not be accomplishing that big task. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

That makes sense. 

I’m still not buying that one thing affects the other however.  That’s wildly pessimistic no?  You legitimately believe that the GM working under Jim Rutherford has essentially thrown in the towel with this much time (and the draft) before July 1?

I don't think it's about throwing in the towel, I think it's about being focused and firm and realistic. 

Nice little fight we have going.  But I agree that this league minimum deal that can be buried in the AHL or be the 23rd player on the roster doesn't have any bearing on whether we can sign a multi million dollar contract for a player or players that will be higher up in the pecking order.  That being a free agent or Myers or Z.  I think even though RHD and LHD that Myers and Z would effect each other.  

8 minutes ago, tas said:

don't be shocked if that's how it plays out. 

i think myers likely has a verbal deal to take whatever scraps are left if they can make something reasonable  work, and they might convince a blueger to come around, but it might be a little scary going into july 1st. 

So out of pecking order, if Myers signs now, correct? Correlation, not causation, right?

Even full time 4th line forwards are "bigger tasks" than a 7th defenceman riding the pine.

• ThereItIs 2

7 minutes ago, tas said:

if you come out and specifically say you're addressing your tasks in order of big task to small task, it's fairly reasonable to conclude that if you skip a big task in favour of a small one, you may not be accomplishing that big task. 

Okay, so you're talking about something said by management and taking that in the most literal sense, yes?

If you think about it, what management said's pretty cryptic. Does it mean a literal order in terms of monetary value? Does it mean an order of importance to the team? Does it mean an order in terms of difficulty to sign? Does it just mean an order of the bigger contracts while other contracts can get signed in the meantime? It can be interpreted in so many different ways.

My guess is it would have just been something to say in terms of the bigger players like Hronek, etc. I don't see how Friedman being signed changes that list as I don't see him as part of that list to begin with. He strikes me as just a side deal to be done since it's just a basic 1 year contract anyway that doesn't affect that list at all.

That's why it's mutually exclusive.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

So out of pecking order, if Myers signs now, correct? Correlation, not causation, right?

if they've had a verbal arrangement worked out, as I suspect, that's not out of order. 

myers is a special case. he has no interest in going elsewhere, and almost certainly won't be wooed by more money or opportunity. the canucks aren't competing with other teams to sign myers, they're only competing against the salary cap. 

3 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't think it's about throwing in the towel, I think it's about being focused and firm and realistic. 

Sorry.  I’m not following again.  PA has moved to the bottom of his priority list this early because he’s focused firm and realistic? I’m not following.

I have to think this is the only hockey forum in the world that could generate 8 pages of rabid discussion and debate on a player that's probably not even going to crack the roster except as an emergency fill-in. Love it!

Okay, so you're talking about something said by management and taking that in the most literal sense, yes?

If you think about it, what management said's pretty cryptic. Does it mean a literal order in terms of monetary value? Does it mean an order of importance to the team? Does it mean an order in terms of difficulty to sign? Does it just mean an order of the bigger contracts while other contracts can get signed in the meantime? It can be interpreted in so many different ways.

My guess is it would have just been something to say in terms of the bigger players like Hronek, etc. I don't see how Friedman being signed changes that list as I don't see him as part of that list to begin with. He strikes me as just a side deal to be done since it's just a basic 1 year contract anyway that doesn't affect that list at all.

and you're welcome to view it that way. all the power to you. 

there's no need to try to convert me. 

Just now, tas said:

and you're welcome to view it that way. all the power to you. 

there's no need to try to convert me. 

I will always try and fight pessimism where I can

3 minutes ago, tas said:

if they've had a verbal arrangement worked out, as I suspect, that's not out of order. 

myers is a special case. he has no interest in going elsewhere, and almost certainly won't be wooed by more money or opportunity. the canucks aren't competing with other teams to sign myers, they're only competing against the salary cap. 

Haha, so now you are just making things up, or twisting things, to fit your pecking order narrative? Awesome.

What if Friedman had no intention of going anywhere else? Or you only read the minds that suit you?

Don't sweat it. You're not nearly as bad as that Conscience guy.

2 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Sorry.  I’m not following again.  PA has moved to the bottom of his priority list this early because he’s focused firm and realistic? I’m not following.

focused on the the big picture, firm and realistic in what the team should, can, and is willing to pay. 

it's easy to get soft and give in to players' demands. this team is cutthroat and relentless in their devotion to doing what's best for the team short term and long term, no matter how much it hurts or how unpopular it is. 

I will always try and fight pessimism where I can

it's not pessimism, it's simply a logical deduction that will make it so if he does sign I'll be pleasantly surprised.