[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Mark Friedman (1 year x $775k)

7 minutes ago, tas said:

if you come out and specifically say you're addressing your tasks in order of big task to small task, it's fairly reasonable to conclude that if you skip a big task in favour of a small one, you may not be accomplishing that big task. 

All it means is that you try and get the bigger contracts done first so that you know how much cap you have left for more depth players and try to organize  alternative UFA/trade targets in the mean time. 

Do I think they've made a fairly firm line on a deal for Zad? Yes I do. They'll probably touch base with him/his agent again before the draft (possible rights movement) and before July 1. Does that mean Z is definitely moving on? Nope. We could trade his rights ahead of the draft, he could see only a few hundred K more than we're offering then and July 1 and still sign here July1 for the team/fit/city etc. 

Still struggle to see how this has ANYTHING to do with signing Freidman.

6 minutes ago, tas said:

if they've had a verbal arrangement worked out, as I suspect, that's not out of order. 

myers is a special case. he has no interest in going elsewhere, and almost certainly won't be wooed by more money or opportunity. the canucks aren't competing with other teams to sign myers, they're only competing against the salary cap. 

I will ask Myers if I see him at the rinks in Kelowna. My son will be training all summer where he at least used to, and by the same coaching group.

Just now, aGENT said:

All it means is that you try and get the bigger contracts done first so that you know how much cap you have left for more depth players and try to organize  alternative UFA/trade targets in the mean time. 

Do I think they've made a fairly firm line on a deal for Zad? Yes I do. They'll probably touch base with him/his agent again before the draft (possible rights movement) and before July 1. Does that mean Z is definitely moving on? Nope. We could trade his rights ahead of the draft, he could see only a few hundred K more than we're offering then and July 1 and still sign here July1 for the team/fit/city etc. 

Still struggle to see how this has ANYTHING to do with signing Freidman.

sure, you can tell me what (you think) it means. thumbs up. enjoy your own interpretation, you're entitled. 

4 minutes ago, tas said:

focused on the the big picture, firm and realistic in what the team should, can, and is willing to pay. 

it's easy to get soft and give in to players' demands. this team is cutthroat and relentless in their devotion to doing what's best for the team short term and long term, no matter how much it hurts or how unpopular it is. 

But again, it's a basic contract that really doesn't affect anything. If we resigned someone like Cole to a larger deal that's not league minimum then I could see your view having merit, but a league minimum contract is literally minimum impact when dealing with other contracts. I think that fact alone kind of negates your stance a lot more than you realise.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Haha, so now you are just making things up, or twisting things, to fit your pecking order narrative? Awesome.

What if Friedman had no intention of going anywhere else? Or you only read the minds that suit you?

Don't sweat it. You're not nearly as bad as that Conscience guy.

no minds needing to be read, myers has made it clear as day if you're paying attention. 

I'm not saying he'll accept league minimum, but I'd be willing to state with confidence that if the choice was $2x2 in van or $4x4 elsewhere, unless the latter offer was somewhere like maybe calgary that's close to home, I bet he'd be inclined to take the canucks offer. 

5 hours ago, tas said:

I'm not thrilled about filling in the bottom before the middle.

I'm interpreting this as them resigning themselves to the fact that zadorov is gone. I hope I'm wrong, but I won't be holding my breath. 

What The Wtf GIF by Justin

What does Friedman have anything to do with anything other than a contract?   Not much different then an AHL signing .

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

focused on the the big picture, firm and realistic in what the team should, can, and is willing to pay. 

it's easy to get soft and give in to players' demands. this team is cutthroat and relentless in their devotion to doing what's best for the team short term and long term, no matter how much it hurts or how unpopular it is. 

And based on the Friedman signing, you believe that they have determined that the only two choices are to give in to player demands or move on to small matters until July 1?

That doesn’t sound right so maybe I’m still not following.

4 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

I will ask Myers if I see him at the rinks in Kelowna. My son will be training all summer where he at least used to, and by the same coaching group.

get after it, I'm sure he's champing at the bit to be his own media leak. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

no minds needing to be read, myers has made it clear as day if you're paying attention. 

I'm not saying he'll accept league minimum, but I'd be willing to state with confidence that if the choice was $2x2 in van or $4x4 elsewhere, unless the latter offer was somewhere like maybe calgary that's close to home, I bet he'd be inclined to take the canucks offer. 

Show me the source? 

I don't sift through every piece of hockey news and I obviously can't prove something doesn't exist (because I can't show it).

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce

Just now, Baratheon said:

And based on the Friedman signing, you believe that they have determined that the only two choices are to give in to player demands or move on to small matters until July 1?

based on the friedman signing, I'm inferring that they've tabled their best offers to the higher priorities and they have not been accepted, and they have no intention to budge. 

2 minutes ago, tas said:

State with confidence?

So no actual source. Lol. Your moving towards that Conscience guy.

1 minute ago, Baratheon said:

Yeah, I don't get it either. Zad could sign here tomorrow or after July1, or go elsewhere after July 1 (or before if we move his rights) and none of those potential outcomes have F-all to do with signing Freidman today.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Show my the source? 

I don't soft through every piece of hockey news and I obviously can't prove something doesn't exist (because I can't show it).

it's all in the reasoning he came to vancouver in the first place and in the interviews where's he's described his desires to stay. 

I'm not going to do your googling for you because I really could not care less if you believe me. 

2 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

State with confidence?

So no actual source. Lol. Your moving towards that Conscience guy.

yes, reading between the lines of what human beings say and do. earth shattering. 

Just now, tas said:

it's all in the reasoning he came to vancouver in the first place and in the interviews where's he's described his desires to stay. 

I'm not going to do your googling for you because I really could not care less if you believe me. 

You're getting into the Trump-delusional realm now. You're not googling it, because there's nothing to google.

1 minute ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

So again no sources you are saying, and you are fabricating stuff to fit your narrative.

Have fun being a tool arguing with everyone. Troll on!

people argued with me, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.

people seem to have this incessant need to force their opinions on others. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

You're getting into the Trump-delusional realm now. You're not googling it, because there's nothing to google.

okie doke. 

Just now, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Specific facts (main points like salary numbers) is not reading between the lines. It's making shit up. Delusional or a troll. 

those are called ballpark hypotheticals. is this your first human interaction?

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, tas said:

based on the friedman signing, I'm inferring that they've tabled their best offers to the higher priorities and they have not been accepted, and they have no intention to budge. 

That’s a little bit different though.  That’s inferring that the ball is in the players court currently.  Not that PA has moved on.  

• Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, tas said:

He might love long walks on the seawall, but zero chance he's leaving 12 million dollars on the table. 

7 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

That’s a little bit different though.  That’s inferring that the ball is in the players court currently.  Not that PA has moved on.  

it's both in my opinion. because the ball that's in the players court is the same one that has already been rejected, which is why there isn't a deal signed, right?

of course these players could still sign. but I don't believe that allvin believes they will. 

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

just checked cap friendly, there have been 6 low level deals like this over the last 24 hours in the league. 

50 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

just checked cap friendly, there have been 6 low level deals like this over the last 24 hours in the league. 

You mean all NHL teams moved off their priorities to sign low level players? Mon dieu. 😉

• Haha 1