[Signing] Canucks Re-Sign Cole McWard and Linus Karlsson

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

Based on the Friedman thread, I guess we're not signing anymore NHL contracts. We just need an ECHL contract to happen and then we can assume no more AHL contracts.

Pecking orders suck! :classic_rolleyes:

For those (not you) who think these two-way depth signings impact our ability to pay Zads or get Guentzel: 

If a player on a two-way contract played 50 or more NHL games the previous season, his full salary will count against the cap. If the player played 1 to 49 games, it is a reduced number based on a formula. And if the player did not play an NHL game the year before, there is no offseason cap hit.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Karlsson Man Good

McWard Man Good

I hope both players bring the 'man' side of their game next year.

Get stronger. Watch tape. Physically stronger, mentally stronger.

4 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

I probably will need one. 

Zad is one Dman aside from Bieksa that I’ve gotten fully behind. 

I need this. 

Huggy and Hronek aside. 

Zad in the playoffs was superb.

He's going to be hard to replace. 

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, high flying Vee said:

Seemed to have some chemistry with Petey if I remember correctly 

I think it was more with Hoagie.  That pair, with Aman, was one of the AHL's best lines a couple of years ago for the dozen games or so they were together. .  Earned the moniker "Swedish House Mafia" from Podkolzin. 

Tocchet could do a lot worse than reuniting them as a 4th line.

LK is a natural for the 2nd unit PP too.  For 2 seasons he was first over the boards for Abby's powerplay.

(And let's not forget, amidst the hype of the newest shiny toy, Lekkerimaki,  he never came close to breaking Karlsson's Swedish premier league rookie goal scoring record  ... held immediately prior by one Elias Pettersson

Linus Karlsson isn't just a plug

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Reading between the lines with our cap situation and Allvin’s comments and I think Juulsen may be our 6th D with a the farm furnishing the 7/8 spots.

It depends on if we can afford Myers in that 3rd pairing slot or have to be cheaper with it.

I suspect Karlsson is in the lineup for similar reasons.  We need to upgrade our bottom six but I don’t know that we will be able to accomplish it this year.

Just slotted in names that represent the level of player we might be able to get different slots and still fit under the cap.  Just not enough money to go around for next year to not have a flawed team.  It will be hard to be as good as this last season. The cheap ELC help isn’t coming for a year or two.

Guentzel-Petterson-Arvidsson

Podkolzin-Miller-Boeser 

Martinook-Suter-Garland

Duhaime-Carrick-Karlsson

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Tanev

Dillon-Juulsen

McWard

11 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

Didn't know that LK was up for a new contract this season. This will be his make it or break it/go back to Sweden season coming up. 

Mgmt and coaches are high on LK so I doubt they view this as a make or break year. He got a taste of the playoffs this season but mixed playing time in the NHL/AHL this season wouldn't surprise me...potentially full time NHLer in 2025/2026

7 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

This is entertaining to watch.  

Allvin spends on Hronek.  

Then he saves money with three value signings.  McWard, Karlsson and Friedman.  Making sure he can fill spot 23 22 and 21 with league minimum type contracts and bringing his average signing cost down.  

Now he looks at spending again.  Negotiating with Z again.  

His process is so deliberate.  

So looks like we are here.  

______. Petey Hogs

Suter  miller boeser

Pods.  ______ Garland

PDG.  Aman.  _______

Karlsson 

Hughes Hronek

Soucy.   _______

_______. Juulsen

Friedman McWard

Demko

_______

With Mik on the trading block and his agent involved now.  

Z being talked to.  Myers maybe with a framework in place.  I assume a Guentzel pitch prepared.  And I guess Silovs as the next cheap signing.  Bluegar in the background but maybe be uograded to Monahan or someone else  Maybe the 4th line spot is bains or raty or maybe he signs another UFA like Duhaime and slots Pods back to the 4th line. 

Still a lot of options.  Still will be competition at camp. So nothing is in stone. But the guy has a plan and is working through the options.  So nice after we couldn't see the plan and couldn't conceive what they were doing for so many years.   

Agreed. Such a breath of fresh air

10 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

This is entertaining to watch.  

Allvin spends on Hronek.  

Then he saves money with three value signings.  McWard, Karlsson and Friedman.  Making sure he can fill spot 23 22 and 21 with league minimum type contracts and bringing his average signing cost down.  

Now he looks at spending again.  Negotiating with Z again.  

His process is so deliberate.  

So looks like we are here.  

______. Petey Hogs

Suter  miller boeser

Pods.  ______ Garland

PDG.  Aman.  _______

Karlsson 

Hughes Hronek

Soucy.   _______

_______. Juulsen

Friedman McWard

Demko

_______

With Mik on the trading block and his agent involved now.  

Z being talked to.  Myers maybe with a framework in place.  I assume a Guentzel pitch prepared.  And I guess Silovs as the next cheap signing.  Bluegar in the background but maybe be uograded to Monahan or someone else  Maybe the 4th line spot is bains or raty or maybe he signs another UFA like Duhaime and slots Pods back to the 4th line. 

Still a lot of options.  Still will be competition at camp. So nothing is in stone. But the guy has a plan and is working through the options.  So nice after we couldn't see the plan and couldn't conceive what they were doing for so many years.   

Looks reasonable to me. As @kettlevalley indicates, it is nice to have competent management after years of Benning. I still cannot understand why Aquilini stuck with him for so long when he seemed so obviously incompetent. 

As for how the line-up is shaping up, I think the Canucks would rather have Friedman at 4RD instead of 4LD. If Zad is not re-signed I expect the Canucks to make a run at Dillon in free agency. He is getting older (33) but he is a better player than Zad and probably would be cheaper. The advantage of Zad is that he would be a longer-term solution. Either way, they may need someone else at 4LD if Friedman is 4RD. There are several potential options, including Brisebois and Wolanin.  

And I think you could pencil in Silovs as the backup to Demko, although it is possible the Canucks might sign a veteran backup and have Silovs in Abby. 

The Canucks would like to trade Mik but I would not count on that. There is a decent chance he is a lot better next year as he continues to heal and if he can recapture some confidence. 

I think one of the Abby guys will make the bottom 6. Maybe Bains, maybe Sasson, maybe Raty, maybe Karlsson. And one of those guys will be 13th man. 

It is widely believed that the Canucks will make a run at Guentzel but the odds of signing him are still not high. While the Canucks have sometime followed through on "leaked" moves, they have also pulled off some surprises. I am kind of expecting that here.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

• Jess unpinned and unfeatured this topic