[Speculation] Oilers' Defenseman Desharnais Unlikely To Take Pay Cut & Should Become Free Agent

Oilers' Defenseman Unlikely To Take Pay Cut & Should Become Free Agent

Rob Couch 

Thursday, June 20, 2024 

The Edmonton Oilers have some work to do this offseason after whatever the result is in the Stanley Cup Final. Defense has been the most inconsistent area and there is absolutely going to be changes.

In the playoffs, Vincent Desharnais has been taken out of the lineup after being a regular throughout the season. Philip Broberg, who will have a full time role in the lineup moving forward, has taken his place. Desharnais is a free agent this summer and while it may have initially been an okay idea to re-sign him, he would likely serve as the 6th/7th defenseman and needs to take a pay cut.

For a depth NHL player like he is, it is a lot to ask to take a pay cut when the pay is already close to league minimum and he can find more money elsewhere with a larger role. Frank Seravalli reported that Desharnais likely won't take a team-friendly deal to remain in Edmonton and could hit the open market.

I believe that Desharnais is a third pairing d-man and he is a strong penalty killer and physical, but even with the cap going up, the Oilers will be close to the ceiling and are still going to be a Stanley Cup contender for the foreseeable future. There are more important pieces than Desharnais that have to be signed, so don't expect a contract to be signed ahead of free agency. If anything, he will see what's out there and may sign back with the Oilers afterwards.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/oilers-defenseman-unlikely-to-take-pay.html

• Thanks 1

Truly, and I mean this in the nicest way possible, does not belong in the NHL. If anyones willing to offer him league minimum for more than a year, thats a gift from the heavens and he should sign that contract before the earth reverses polarity and hes forced back to the AHL where he belongs

In all honesty, he's a late bloomer who was a 7th round pick and played in the ECHL No matter what happens, he is the very definition of earning his spot in the NHL.

31 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I’ve been contacting his agent to see about luring him over to my ball hockey team. Unlimited Costco food court hot dogs is the signing bonus. Next on list is Phil the Thrill 

You may have to sweeten that deal to include a No Bowel Movement Clause.

• Haha 2

Hate for Edmonton aside, is he really that bad?  Not saying I'd want him, but I could see a $1M AAV deal being pretty enticing for teams looking for RHD depth.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Hate for Edmonton aside, is he really that bad?  Not saying I'd want him, but I could see a $1M AAV deal being pretty enticing for teams looking for RHD depth.

He’s an enforcer Dman type. Still a few spots he could end up, especially if it’s a club who could use a 7/8D capable of protecting some younger players.