Copa America

bolt

I thought Canada put in a pretty good showing.  Let's not forget, we were playing the #1 team in the world.  And, for the most part, Canada held its own.

Argentina deserved the win.  And but for the heroics of Crepeau the score could have been larger.  But, then, Canada had some pretty good chances too and the Argentina tender made some decent saves.

I came away from the game with positive feelings about the team.  Looking forward to their games against Peru (#31) and Chile (#40).

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

I thought Canada put in a pretty good showing.  Let's not forget, we were playing the #1 team in the world.  And, for the most part, Canada held its own.

Argentina deserved the win.  And but for the heroics of Crepeau the score could have been larger.  But, then, Canada had some pretty good chances too and the Argentina tender made some decent saves.

I came away from the game with positive feelings about the team.  Looking forward to their games against Peru (#31) and Chile (#40).

If they had any finish around the net, they could have given the Argentines a real scare. Crepeau was excellent and the better team won, but had Canada capitalized on a couple of their chances, they could have stolen a point.

I thought they got jobbed on a foul at the edge of the penalty area as well....

• Like 1

Sad to say that the online trolls have already started in....

Canadian defender Moise Bombito was targeted with racist messages after last night's match against Argentina. The attacks were apparently because of a hard tackle on Messi.....:classic_dry:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer/canada-says-it-s-deeply-disturbed-after-bombito-gets-targeted-on-social-media-with-racist-messages/ar-BB1oEmOs?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=80c0ce5ccf5440b7a5fde199856cdf59&ei=36

Canadian soccer player Moise Bombito had racist messages directed at him on social media after he made a tackle on Lionel Messi during a 2-0 Copa America loss to Argentina on Thursday.

The Canadian National Team issued a statement on social media late Thursday night about the messages without mentioning Bombito by name.

“Canada Soccer is aware of and deeply disturbed by racist comments made online and directed at one of our men’s national team players following tonight’s game,” the statement said. “We are in communication with CONCACAF and CONMEBOL about this matter.”

Bombito, a 24-year-old from Montreal who plays for the Colorado Rapids in MLS, made an Instagram story post that didn’t reference anything specifically but said, “My beautiful Canada. No room for that bs.”

Bombito caught Messi while attempting a tackle in the 82nd minute after his pass was intercepted by Lautaro Martinez. Messi, clearly in pain, went down in the penalty box after Canada goalkeeper Maxime Crepeau saved an ensuing shot from Martinez.

Replays showed a sliding Bombito getting a foot to the ball and then making contact with Messi’s right ankle. There was no foul called.

Messi walked off the field gingerly after receiving treatment but returned to action and set up Argentina’s second goal in the 88th minute.

Edited by RupertKBD

Canada wins it 1 - Nil.

Just going by the stat line and match highlights as I was refreshing, it looks like the sending off was the turning point. Canada got the win, but will need to be better against Chile.

4 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Canada wins it 1 - Nil.

Just going by the stat line and match highlights as I was refreshing, it looks like the sending off was the turning point. Canada got the win, but will need to be better against Chile.

It was.  

It was a very strange game.   Many fouls (including a head butt by one of the Peruvian players in the first half that, according to the announcers, should have been a red card but VAR let it pass).  Very hot - one of the linesmen collapsed from, apparently, heat stroke.

Peru dominated the first half but once again Crepeau had a great game.  The game changed when the Peruvian player was sent off in the second half and Canada began to press.  Terrific goal by David - not just the shot but the setup as well.   Shaffelburg subbed in in the second half and was prominent.

First win for coach Marsch and it came at a good time.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Both Mexico and the USA lost today.  They will likely need to get a result in their next matches.

Of the 2, US will be in tough.  They face Uruguay in their final group match.

Always nice to see the Americans lose, but as dumb as Weah's actions were, it's extremely disappointing that once again, a footballer is being subjected to racist attacks for something that happened on the pitch....:classic_dry:

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Always nice to see the Americans lose, but as dumb as Weah's actions were, it's extremely disappointing that once again, a footballer is being subjected to racist attacks for something that happened on the pitch....:classic_dry:

Is that what happened. I was watching in a car dealership, with no sound. Weah drilled the guy pretty good, but if a racial slur was the reason, good for him. Get that shit out of all sports. The Americans thought they'd scored early, but the US player was definitely off side.

20 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Is that what happened. I was watching in a car dealership, with no sound. Weah drilled the guy pretty good, but if a racial slur was the reason, good for him. Get that shit out of all sports. The Americans thought they'd scored early, but the US player was definitely off side.

No, it came after the game. American "fans" pissed off that Weah's actions cost them the game, so they jumped on social media afterward and started throwing the N word around.

Same kind of thing happened to Bombito after a hard challenge on Messi during Canada's opener. The difference with that one is that it was racist Messi fan boys, rather than Canadian supporters.

Edited by RupertKBD

5 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

No, it came after the game. American "fans" pissed off that Weah's actions cost them the game, so the jumped on social media afterward and started throwing the N word around.

Same kind of thing happened to Bombito after a hard challenge on Messi during Canada's opener. The difference with that one is that it was racist Messi fan boys, rather than Canadian supporters.

when can we stop ignoring the little incel losers on social media? who cares at all what people like this have to say? 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

when can we stop ignoring the little incel losers on social media? who cares at all what people like this have to say?

I wish I knew the answer to that, Jimmy.

I've said for quite a while that the response to internet piling on, or shaming should be to tell these dickwads to eff off.....