Copa America

bolt

24 minutes ago, Steev said:

There was some stats on what players from European major leagues dive more and who receive more bookings. And Serie A players dive the most, foul and receive the most bookings.

I’ve also been watching European soccer since I was a child. The diving is less depending on the European league. Out of the major European leagues, the EPL, Eredivisie, and Bundesliga players commit less fouls

https://footystats.org/foul-map/

But regarding Copa, here we go:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5624771/2024/07/09/copa-america-tactical-fouls/

Canada:  4.75 fouls per card

Uruguay:  36 fouls per card

:classic_blink:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bounce000 said:

Didn’t a Canadian player get legit head butted in the first game, and because he didn’t flop, it didn’t get called?

There's no guarantee that Johnston would have gotten the call even if he did flop.  But a flop couldn't have hurt.  It should have been a card.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Maybe Uruguay gets red cards vs Canada on Sat. 

Uruguay gonna be short handed for sure.

No way Nunez isn’t handed a huge suspension for that. He clearly punched a fan…

Let's see if we can do better than the Yanks did.

We've faced Uruguay twice. 

Once in 1986 in the build up to that World Cup.  We lost 3 - 1.

The last time was in 2022 in the build up to the World Cup.  Lost that one 2 - 0.

Would love to see this turn around. 

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He could get some slack if the incidents were on the field or in the tunnel. 

Leaving the field of play into the stands, he will have no excuses. 

This isn't hockey and he ain't Milbury.

1 hour ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Leaving the field of play into the stands, he will have no excuses. 

I'm waiting to hear his excuse/explanation.

Perhaps some Colombian fans were giving Uruguay team family members a hard time?

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

39 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I'm waiting to hear his excuse/explanation.

Perhaps some Colombian fans were giving Uruguay team family members a hard time?

I don't know all the details, but according to an ESPN announcer that was at the game, some Uruguay fans and Colombia fans got into it after the game....Unfortunately, the section where this occurred was where all the Uruguay families were seated.

Nunes had two kids in the stands, so I can't really blame him for losing it.....

That being said, I still think some of those guys will receive suspensions.

Take it FWIW, but after the US men's team fired coach Greg Berhalter, Jesse Marsch says he's not interested in the gig:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/canada-coach-jesse-marsch-says-he-has-no-interest-in-vacant-u-s-position/

In a short statement sent to The Canadian Press, Canada Soccer said Marsch "is not considering nor interested in the position at U.S. Soccer. He is completely focused on Canada."

Marsch's name has been included in the reported list of possible U.S. coaching replacements, along with a Who's Who of world football including Jurgen Klopp, Thierry Henry, Patrick Vieira, Marcelo Bielsa, Hugo Perez, Pellegrino Matarazzo, David Wagner, Steve Cherundolo, Jim Curtain, Massimiliano Allegri and Mauricio Pochettino.

Marsch, in an interview with the podcast "Call It What You Want" soon after being hired by Canada Soccer, expressed frustration at his prior job dealings with U.S. Soccer.

"Obviously growing up in the U.S. and contributing and playing for the national team, playing for the youth national teams, coaching at the World Cup with the U.S. national team, my respect for U.S. Soccer is big," he told the podcast.

"But I went through a process with them, right? And I'm not going to go into it but I wasn't treated very well in the process and so whatever, man. That's in the past now and I'm fully focused. The minute it was done, I was like, 'OK, I'm moving forward and I'm going to figure out what's right for me,' and again, it motivated me again to find the right people."

You're ours now, Jesse. Just like the Englishman who had the gig before you.....

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Take it FWIW, but after the US men's team fired coach Greg Berhalter, Jesse Marsch says he's not interested in the gig:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/article/canada-coach-jesse-marsch-says-he-has-no-interest-in-vacant-u-s-position/

You're ours now, Jesse. Just like the Englishman who had the gig before you.....

Yup. He was belting out O Canada pretty well at the start of the game.