Copa America

bolt

2 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

No expectations; we're beyond what I expected already.

I just hope the officials let the teams decide.

Go Canada Go!!

Seems they hired NHL refs.

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

At least didn't get blown out by world #1 

Still have a game left to play. Third place is worth fighting for. 

What do they do with the sweaty jerseys from the opponent?  Pretty gross tradition. 

Canada was playing with house money.  Even if they lose on Saturday, they will have finished 4th among a group of 16 pretty good/very good teams.  Good showing!

Now, if we can only get someone who can score consistently in these national games.

• Thanks 1

Anyone record the game?  Did the ref stick out his foot to block our pass. That took away a solid rush chance for us. Their first goal came directly after an obvious non-call.

Anyway good effort by our team against argentina and the refs.

• ThereItIs 1

Canada did well. I can’t stand all the theatrics in Latin American soccer, which is why I usually stick to European soccer. The American commentator in the Canada-Argentina match said other teams were saying Canada had been playing dirty throughout the tournament. That is so mind-boggling. If Canada plays “dirty,” what do you call what the other teams were doing? The Canada players seemed to want to act on the dirty tactics that were used against them. The Argentina players seem too “fragile” and often position their bodies in a way that causes players to foul them unintentionally. If you put your leg or body in the way of the opposing player and away from the ball, of course you’re going to get fouled. Besides the chirping, that seems to be what De Paul had done. The annoying thing is it’s hard to prove these things so I’m sure when you mention it to fans of the opposing team, they will deny it

Edited by Steev

22 minutes ago, Steev said:

Canada did well. I can’t stand all the theatrics in Latin American soccer, which is why I usually stick to European soccer. The American commentator in the Canada-Argentina match said other teams were saying Canada had been playing dirty throughout the tournament. That is so mind-boggling. If Canada plays “dirty,” what do you call what the other teams were doing? The Canada players seemed to want to act on the dirty tactics that were used against them. The Argentina players seem too “fragile” and often position their bodies in a way that causes players to foul them unintentionally. If you put your leg or body in the way of the opposing player and away from the ball, of course you’re going to get fouled. Besides the chirping, that seems to be what De Paul had done. The annoying thing is it’s hard to prove these things so I’m sure when you mention it to fans of the opposing team, they will deny it

I've watched European football for a long time.  Since the 1990's.  Diving is as prevalent there as anywhere else.  It's a joke really.  The worst is when the team that is leading does it purposely late in the game to try and run the clock out.  I've seen guys stretchered out and then come back 5 minutes later good as new.  Rodrigo De Paul plays in Europe so he knows exactly how to dive, when to dive, and how to pretend injury so that the other team gets a yellow card.  De Paul actually played in Italy for many years, where they practice diving on a regular basis in training...

3 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Not the most knowledgeable soccer guy but seems like we are 1 elite stiker away from threatening the top 20 teams

3 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Canada was playing with house money.  Even if they lose on Saturday, they will have finished 4th among a group of 16 pretty good/very good teams.  Good showing!

Now, if we can only get someone who can score consistently in these national games.

Jonathan David is supposed to be that guy.....2nd in Ligue 1 scoring (behind Kylian Mbappe) for the past 2 seasons.

For some reason, outside of that single strike against Peru, he's been hot garbage in this competition.....

Edited by RupertKBD

#BREAKING🚨:  Argentina mid-fielder Rodrigo De Paul spoke to the Canadian soccer media today, casually stirring more controversy from last night's 2-0 victory vs Canada with his brutally honest statement. 

"Yes, we dive, it's a part of our culture. We all do it, it's the nature of the game, It's fair play. Let's move on we have another game to win." 

Argentina advances to the Copa America final, which they'll play this Sunday.

Edited by Elias Pettersson

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

#BREAKING🚨:  Argentina mid-fielder Rodrigo De Paul spoke to the Canadian soccer media today, casually stirring more controversy from last night's 2-0 victory vs Canada with his brutally honest statement. 

"Yes, we dive, it's a part of our culture. We all do it, it's the nature of the game, It's fair play. Let's move on we have another game to win." 

Argentina advances to the Copa America final, which they'll play this Sunday.

And the thing is, since it is part of the culture, if you don't dive you're putting yourself at a competitive disadvantage.

2 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

And the thing is, since it is part of the culture, if you don't dive you're putting yourself at a competitive disadvantage.

Didn’t a Canadian player get legit head butted in the first game, and because he didn’t flop, it didn’t get called?

Colombia hang on, after playing over half the match down a man....

Now the question is, do they have any left eligible to play in the final, after all those yellow cards?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I've watched European football for a long time.  Since the 1990's.  Diving is as prevalent there as anywhere else.  It's a joke really.  The worst is when the team that is leading does it purposely late in the game to try and run the clock out.  I've seen guys stretchered out and then come back 5 minutes later good as new.  Rodrigo De Paul plays in Europe so he knows exactly how to dive, when to dive, and how to pretend injury so that the other team gets a yellow card.  De Paul actually played in Italy for many years, where they practice diving on a regular basis in training...

There was some stats on what players from European major leagues dive more and who receive more bookings. And Serie A players dive the most, foul and receive the most bookings.

I’ve also been watching European soccer since I was a child. The diving is less depending on the European league. Out of the major European leagues, the EPL, Eredivisie, and Bundesliga players commit less fouls

https://footystats.org/foul-map/

But regarding Copa, here we go:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5624771/2024/07/09/copa-america-tactical-fouls/

Edited by Steev
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1