[Speculation] Ross Colton Becomes Imminent Trade Candidate in Colorado

Ross Colton Becomes Imminent Trade Candidate in Colorado

Dave Litman 

Thursday, June 20, 2024 

Following the best point output of his career, third-line center Ross Colton could be one and done with the Colorado Avalanche, as he's been named as a top-10 trade candidate this offseason by hockey insider Frank Seravalli of Daily Faceoff.

The Avs are facing uncertainty around the futures of captain Gabriel Landeskog and the currently suspended Valeri Nichushkin. They also have a hefty extension that needs to be handed out to 2C Casey Mittelstadt and a Jonathan Drouin contract upcoming as well to stave off free agency. All of this leaves the Avalanche in a salary cap bind.

But if Colton and his $4 million cap hit for the next three seasons are to be the scapegoat, it'll need to happen within the next 10 days, as he has a full no-trade clause that kicks in on July 1st. From now until then, he has zero trade protection.

Colton was acquired by Colorado just about a year ago in a cost-savings move by the Tampa Bay Lightning, which means he could be facing the same fate for the second year in a row. 

The 27-year-old posted 17 goals, 23 assists and 40 points in 13:43 ice time per game this season with the Avs. The 6-foot, 200-pounder also handed out 141 hits. 

His cap hit isn't too onerous, and there should be a trade market for Colton, who popped 22 goals in his first full season back in 2021-22. 

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/ross-colton-becomes-imminent-trade.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Colton is an excellent bottom six player... but a little expensive.

If you are going to pay him $4 mil, then you might as well keep Joshua, who is bigger and put up similar stats.

Agreed. I like shiny new toys too, but I think $4M is the high end for Joshua and I’d rather have him as a known product (who I think think could come in for less anyways despite the Yzerman rumours)

If you trade for him at his full cap hit, the acquisition cost will be very low. He's not a Joshua replacement but a Lindholm or Garland replacement. 

I believe moving out Garland is the key to this offseason. It will allow the team to reshape the bottom 6 with size, speed, toughness, and versatility ( pk, pp2). Colton is a good target even at 4mil

Edited by fuzzy
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

If you trade for him at his full cap hit, the acquisition cost will be very low. He's not a Joshua replacement but a Lindholm or Garland replacement. 

I believe moving out Garland is the key to this offseason. It will allow the team to reshape the bottom 6 with size, speed, toughness, and versatility ( pk, pp2). Colton is a good target even at 4mil

I'm loathe to say this but I agree. But it depends on what Garland's return is.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, fuzzy said:

Garland isn't going anywhere, Mikheyev will be moved out the goal is to improve not make lateral moves 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NHLer said:

Damn I would have thought they'd prioritize keeping him over bustaroo Mittelstadt. 

Also I sound like Alf...

9 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

No.....this sounds like Alf:   ac33f2c0-cdb4-484d-b6e4-97fbab7623fe_text.gif.1a4a9b4b9b1f5881956572bb60e40474.gif😄😄

Found Alf's burner accounts 

• Haha 1

Interesting player, but probably goes somewhere with less of a cap situation who won't mind that he is a little overpaid.

If cap weren't an issue he would be a great 3rd line centre with Garland and Podkolzin or a UFA acquisition as wingers.  Blueger returning would be a cheaper option.

I have basically assumed that Joshua is gone in all my thoughts of our roster next year, so am much more interested in who we find to replace him.  I see posters here suggesting they would rather spend the money on Joshua.

He may end up as one of the most overpaid free agent signings of the season and is more likely to regress than maintain or increase his output from last season.  He was in the right place at the right time.  If you look at numbers, without Garland he didn't produce... but without Joshua, Garland produced with whoever he played with.  Take away Garland and Joshua is a 4th liner or depth guy.  Maybe a new team has a play driver he can have similar chemistry with, but I wouldn't bet on it.  I wouldn't even bet on him replicating last year even if we kept him with Garland, certainly not for a $3.5-4.0 million contract with several years of term.

I take Martinook at half the money for that roster spot on the 3rd line.  Much more reliable and brings the same competitive edge that Garland does.  You can get both Martinook and Duhaime for likely less than Joshua... certainly less than for Joshua plus a league minimum guy for the other roster spot they fill.

Guentzel-Petterson-XX
Suter-Miller-Boeser
Martinook-Colton-Garland
Duhaime-XX-Karlsson/Podkolzin
PDG

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

Interesting player, but probably goes somewhere with less of a cap situation who won't mind that he is a little overpaid.

If cap weren't an issue he would be a great 3rd line centre with Garland and Podkolzin as wingers. 

I have basically assumed that Joshua is gone in all my thoughts of our roster next year.  He may end up as one of the most overpaid free agent signings of the season and is more likely to regress than maintain or increase his output from last season.  He was in the right place at the right time.  If you look at numbers, without Garland he didn't produce... but without Joshua, Garland produced with whoever he played with.  Take away Garland and Joshua is a 4th liner or depth guy.  Maybe a new team has a play driver he can have similar chemistry with, but I wouldn't bet on it.  I wouldn't even bet on him replicating last year even if we kept him with Garland, certainly not for a $3.5-4.0 million contract with several years of term.

I wouldn't say Colton is overpaid.  He put up 40pts, which is pretty much what you would expect for $4M.  Add in the fact he can win over 50% of his draws, and has speed to burn and he's solid value at his cap hit.  But you're right though, not a luxury on our 3rd line that we can afford.

I'm really interested to see how Joshua does next year.  I'm with you, I think he will likely regress.  I'd be very surprised to see him play upto a $3.5M to $4M contract consistently without a super play driver like Garland on his line.  Maybe some team will throw him on a 2nd line somewhere... then I could see it work. 

Just now, HKSR said:

I wouldn't say Colton is overpaid.  He put up 40pts, which is pretty much what you would expect for $4M.  Add in the fact he can win over 50% of his draws, and has speed to burn and he's solid value at his cap hit.  But you're right though, not a luxury on our 3rd line that we can afford.

I'm really interested to see how Joshua does next year.  I'm with you, I think he will likely regress.  I'd be very surprised to see him play upto a $3.5M to $4M contract consistently without a super play driver like Garland on his line.  Maybe some team will throw him on a 2nd line somewhere... then I could see it work. 

Ya, maybe not overpaid... overpaid for our salary structure where we aren't built for a $4 million 3rd line centre.  Not many teams are thought, and hence why he is on the block.  A team without high end talent could prioritize depth like this much more easily and try to win that way.

28 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ya, maybe not overpaid... overpaid for our salary structure where we aren't built for a $4 million 3rd line centre.  Not many teams are thought, and hence why he is on the block.  A team without high end talent could prioritize depth like this much more easily and try to win that way.

Canucks offered 7 x 7 to lindholm who is a C and on death chart he would've slotted in as our 3C

With Colton I don't think we can look at him "hey we can't afford 4M for our 3C".

I think Colton has potential to be a Lindholm-lite that even if he slots as 3C on your line up card, he would be top 5 in F in terms of ice time as he is a 5v5, PK and PP guy.

He could also go up and down the line up and with his speed I see him fitting in on Miller and/or Peteys wing

He's a complete player and on another tier than Joshua.

We know PA/JR love centers... Tocc juggled his lines ro ideally have 2 natural/ex centers on each line where possible.

I honestly never would've though that the Avs would even make him available in a trade. Not sure how they plan on replacing him

• ThereItIs 1

57 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Garland isn't going anywhere, Mikheyev will be moved out the goal is to improve not make lateral moves 

I don't see moving Garland as a lateral move if you're replacing him with a player like Colton that can contribute in all situations. Garland is small, does not fit in the top 6, doesn't contribute on the pk.

1 minute ago, bh90 said:

Canucks offered 7 x 7 to lindholm who is a C and on death chart he would've slotted in as our 3C

With Colton I don't think we can look at him "hey we can't afford 4M for our 3C".

I think Colton has potential to be a Lindholm-lite that even if he slots as 3C on your line up card, he would be top 5 in F in terms of ice time as he is a 5v5, PK and PP guy.

He could also go up and down the line up and with his speed I see him fitting in on Miller and/or Peteys wing

We know PA/JR love centers... Tocc juggled his lines ro ideally have 2 natural/ex centers on each line where possible.

I honestly never would've though that the Avs would even make him available in a trade. Not sure how they plan on replacing him

This

7 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

I don't see moving Garland as a lateral move if you're replacing him with a player like Colton that can contribute in all situations. Garland is small, does not fit in the top 6, doesn't contribute on the pk.

Throughout JR’s entire career he has favoured one type of winger, big and fast, Garland is neither. Wouldn’t be surprised to see management move on from him especially since selling high after last season. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

7 minutes ago, bh90 said:

I honestly never would've thoughtthat the Avs would even make him available in a trade. Not sure how they plan on replacing him

With that contract the idea for Lindholm would not be for him to spend the season as the 3C.  It would be vastly more likely that he would have centred Petey’s line and solved our top line winger problem that way.

We already have a 3C in Suter, we just haven’t been able to use him there as we don’t have the wingers to take his place.

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

With that contract the idea for Lindholm would not be for him to spend the season as the 3C.  It would be vastly more likely that he would have centred Petey’s line and solved our top line winger problem that way.

We already have a 3C in Suter, we just haven’t been able to use him there as we don’t have the wingers to take his place.

Not so sure on that plan though 

Petey is a C and is young. He's been consistently mentioned as a future selke nominee.

I don't think anyone in the organization give petey 11.6m per year to be a LW. Pretty sure everyone is committed to him continuing to develop and be their 1C

If anything lindhom would be 3C than as JT ages Lindholm would be 2C and JT 2LW

1 minute ago, bh90 said:

Not so sure on that plan though 

Petey is a C and is young. He's been consistently mentioned as a future selke nominee.

I don't think anyone in the organization give petey 11.6m per year to be a LW. Pretty sure everyone is committed to him continuing to develop and be their 1C

If anything lindhom would be 3C than as JT ages Lindholm would be 2C and JT 2LW

I think you’re both sort of circling the bigger reason we are going to see Lindholm leave. We’re talking about paying him as a highly paid 3C ($7M) when in reality the expectation is top line minutes with Petey (probably with shared/swapping C responsibilities depending on the situation) or at least a very good 3C as a back up plan (or when we need to spread the depth).

That’s a lot of contingencies for Lindholm to try and get excited about when other teams are willing to commit him to top line minutes and pay for it.

All that said - the prospect of Lindholm at a 7x7 gave me heartburn.

Yes he showed up in the playoffs and was nursing an injury shortly after his arrival in the regular season. But his body of work in Calgary was already trending in the “bet on him rebounding” territory. 

And to get back on track I’ll say I’d rather have Joshua at $4M than Colton at $4M and I think we could have Joshua for less than $4M.