[Speculation] Winnipeg Jets former first-round pick Rutger McGroarty (14th overall) on trade block

Morning Notes: Toffoli, McGroarty, Buyouts

Friedman noted on the 32 Thoughts podcast that teams have inquired about former Winnipeg Jets first-round pick Rutger McGroarty (14th overall), and the Jets have engaged in trade talks about him. Friedman doesn’t get too far into the details but says that he’s heard that McGroarty is being talked about in trade discussions. The Jets hold the 20-year-old’s rights for two more years, and McGroarty decided in April to return to Michigan for another season in the NCAA. With Winnipeg in win-now mode, it would make sense for the team to look at moving him for a player that they can insert into their roster right away, particularly if they are concerned about losing his rights in two years.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/morning-notes-toffoli-mcgroarty-buyouts.html#ref=home

Read that McGroarty’s family advisor has refused contact with the Winnipeg Jets regarding any future plans and that the team is now looking to move the player, similar to the Gauthier situation in Philly. 

• Thanks 1

Question for the rule experts out here

But it seems NCAA players are always at the center of attention of not signing with their draft team than becoming UFA at a very early age

Can CHL/European drafted players do the same? Or are the rules different for them?

You never tend to hear about high draft picks out of CHL/Europe that do this

49 minutes ago, bh90 said:

Question for the rule experts out here

But it seems NCAA players are always at the center of attention of not signing with their draft team than becoming UFA at a very early age

Can CHL/European drafted players do the same? Or are the rules different for them?

You never tend to hear about high draft picks out of CHL/Europe that do this

Short answer, yes every prospect can do this regardless of league.

Long answer is the route to UFA and how long a team retains the rights to unsigned drafted prospects varies league to league. In the CHL for example, a team only keeps unsigned prospects' rights for two years, but they don't become UFAs immediately, they re-enter the draft. If they go undrafted at their 2nd draft they are a UFA or if they don't sign with the team that drafted them (at the 2nd draft) for 2 years they become a UFA. So really it's 4 years to UFA for either CHL or NCAA, but CHL players get drafted again in the middle

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 1

After the conclusion of the NCAA season, McGroarty announced that he'd be returning to the University of Michigan for his junior year after a 52-point season (16 goals, 36 assists in 36 games, with a plus/minus rating of +17). He displayed such advanced skills during his sophomore year, on and off the ice, that many felt that the 20-year-old could be ready to turn pro after the season.  

The Jets have his rights for two more years, but Mike McIntyre writes in the Winnipeg Free Press that "the two sides are at an apparent impasse over the direction of his career to the point the team may have no choice but to trade his rights or eventually risk losing him for nothing." In addition, there's speculation that he might not want to sign with Winnipeg once his college days are done.”

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/winnipeg-jets-considering-trading-their.html

40 minutes ago, Pears said:

We should be taking flyers on players like McGroarty, especially with our American core here. What would he cost?

Don't think its a "flyer" to take on one of the league's better forward prospects. 

• Cheers 2

Interesting. Would be a great fit. Looks like a great prospect that has some development time already. So why not next years first? I'd do it. Canucks would be lucky to draft the exact quality prospect with that pick and if they did the deal, would get a prospect better suited towards this teams peak timeliness. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Sounds like another college player who wants to come out two years early and start making nhl money and burning up his elc years so he can get a nice fat second contract. Also he likely has one team he wants that to happen with. So the Jets would only have one team to negotiate with, much like the Trouba deal. The next CBA needs to fix this us college player becomes a UFA after his four years. Make it the same as the rest. Is it 7 years at the drafting team’s option? 

18 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Perhaps he'd be interested in a place where the beer flows like wine, where the women instinctively flock like the salmon of the Fraser River

Where's this? The perfect trifecta would be a place with affordable housing....

• Cheers 1

From what it sounds like, he wanted to join the Jets this year but they wanted him in college another year. That seems to be the impasse between the two sides. He also has dual citizenship and was taken 1 spot ahead of Lekkerimaki. I'd be all for a 1 for 1. He put up good numbers bother years in NCAA this far and is bigger and stronger than Lekkerimaki would be the perfect fit with Petey 

• Confused 1

On 6/22/2024 at 10:08 AM, Bob Long said:

I know people will rag on the kid for this, but he's exercising his rights. If I'm being honest, I wouldn't want to end up in Winnipeg either. 

I don’t think anyone wants to end up in Winnipeg tbh. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, Viking said:

straight up for Podkolzin?

I'd pass on this at the moment. We've spent a few years developing Podkolzin and he's showing some good signs that he could make a run at making the roster. Plus it's been nice to hear Tocchet say he's noticed Podkolzin's hockey IQ has gone up big time since spending more time in the AHL.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ngoway said:

I'd pass on this at the moment. We've spent a few years developing Podkolzin and he's showing some good signs that he could make a run at making the roster. Plus it's been nice to hear Tocchet say he's noticed Podkolzin's hockey IQ has gone up big time since spending more time in the AHL.

I have hope for him too but he is 23 now, time to add some NHL Scoring to his game otherwise worth looking into a deal like this if Rutger would sign here that is...

5 minutes ago, Viking said:

I have hope for him too but he is 23 now, time to add some NHL Scoring to his game otherwise worth looking into a deal like this if Rutger would sign here that is...

Yeah, this is going to be a big year for Podkolzin. If we were going to trade him, it would likely be in another year or two (but I hope we don't and it just works out)

• Cheers 1

On 6/22/2024 at 1:01 PM, Pears said:

We should be taking flyers on players like McGroarty, especially with our American core here. What would he cost?

Probably a first round pick, if I had to guess. 

14 hours ago, ngoway said:

when did Tocchet say that Podkolzin's hockey IQ has gone up? 

15 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I don’t think anyone wants to end up in Winnipeg tbh. 

Is it just the city or is there more to his reason to not want to sign with the Jets?