US Elections Thread

Sharpshooter

4 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

If I absolutely had to call it, I’d say Biden wins the presidency, Democrats win the House and Republicans win the Senate. As far as the Electoral Vote for Biden goes, he wins NV, MI, PA and WI while Trump wins AZ and GA for a 276-262 victory. But I like being cautious. This is where I think it sits if an election were held today. After his criminal trials and/or convictions taking him out of running a campaign like fundraising and meeting voters, billions of dollars spent by Democrats on ads about abortion, the economy and how Republicans don’t want to fix any problems, I expect 2020 Biden + NC to be the end result. Or a 319-219 victory.

This thread is meant to be about elections only, but sometimes discussion about issues occurs too. You and me both, the Democratic bench in the country is insanely strong compared to just less than a decade ago and the Republican bench has been severely weakened if not wiped out. From Governors to Senators, the list is very long and the party is in great hands for the future. There’s a large contingency of talent ready to takeover (as we’ve already seen happen in the US House with Pelosi, Hoyer and Clyburn older Dem leadership stepping down from their positions). This will be the last time Democrats nominate an old person for president.

That said, I came across a meme on the Musk hellsite that really gets across the 2020 US Election, which I’ll get to in a minute. Everyone keeps saying “why is it a pick between 2 old guys?” when no one is looking at what’s actually been accomplished under either or comparing the two. People are judging the book by its cover and not reading the pages beneath it.

Biden has passed into law countless bills to help Americans on healthcare, drug costs, climate change, infrastructure, manufacturing, veterans, jobs, child poverty, pandemic recovery, small businesses, gun violence, expanding oil production, unemployment, marijuana and unions. Trump managed to pass tax cuts. They’re 2 old guys, but are they really the same?

If Biden really was old and senile then how exactly is he one of, if not the most productive presidents in history? And what exactly does it make Republicans who manage to complain Biden is taking them to the shed in negotiations and that he’s old and senile and unfit to lead as president. Well, which is it? Is he a genius leader who outmaneuvers his opposition or a guy who can’t tie his shoelaces? The biggest problem with Biden, which he’s always had in his life, is public speaking with his stutter and misstatements. But behind the scenes where the actual work of a president is done, he’s in tip top shape.

As for that meme I mentioned earlier, it only works for those who have watched The Lord of The Rings movies, but if you have: The 2020 election is a choice between 2 people who are both old: Gandalf and Saruman. One is trying to save Middle Earth, the other is trying to destroy it.

Thanks for your input.

I only asked because I believe you are the best source on this site in regards to information on this subject.

As for Lord of the rings, I first read those books when I was still in primary school.

I didn't know it at the time but Tolkien was a devout Catholic, like my parents.

He called his LOTR a " fundamentally religious and Catholic work ".

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trump must come up with the full bond amount to cover the $454 million civil fraud trial judgment, appeals court judge rules

Former President Donald Trump must come up with the full bond amount to cover the $454 million verdict in the civil fraud trial, an appeals court judge ruled Wednesday.

Associate Justice Anil Singh, however, lifted a ban on Trump’s ability to obtain loans from a New York bank, which could allow him to access the equity in his assets to back the full bond amount.

Singh denied Trump’s request to delay his obligation to post $454 million until a full appellate panel hears his motion to stay enforcement of that judgment until his appeals of the civil fraud ruling are over.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/28/politics/donald-trump-appeals-court-new-york/index.html

EDIT - oops.  I thought I was in the US Politics thread.   This impacts the election I suppose.

Edited by Satchmo

Wanted out, but they pulled her back in.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/rcna140882

Marianne Williamson unsuspends her presidential campaign after placing 3rd in Michigan

Williamson had ended her campaign on Feb. 7 after winning only 4% of the vote in New Hampshire's Democratic primary and 2% in South Carolina's. She got 3% in Michigan's primary on Wednesday.

Katie Porter just missed out.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/california-senate-primary-win-election-rcna141271

Democrat Adam Schiff and Republican Steve Garvey advance to the general election in California's Senate race

NBC News projects that Democratic Reps. Katie Porter and Barbara Lee failed to advance through the state's top-two primary.

https://www.texastribune.org/2024/03/05/colin-allred-roland-gutierrez-ted-cruz-primary/

U.S. Rep. Colin Allred claims victory in Democratic primary; will face Sen. Ted Cruz in November

State Sen. Roland Gutierrez was in second place, but Allred said he conceded Tuesday night.

TRUMP fails to sweep Super Tuesday.   Still miles ahead and will soon likely lock up the nomination. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/nikki-haley-wins-vermont-primary-denies-trump-super-tuesday-sweep-2024-3?utm_source=reddit.com

Nikki Haley wins in Vermont, denying Trump a Super Tuesday sweep

• Nikki Haley won her first state primary on Tuesday: Vermont.
  • She won Washington, DC's primary earlier in March.
  • Haley still trails Trump's delegate count by a wide margin.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Just popping in for another special election. This time a flip from red to blue in Alabama, the Huntsville suburbs. Republicans still are having problem in the suburbs and it may actually be getting worse for them. The Alabama Supreme Court effectively banned IVF by ruling in February that embryos were children and protected by law.

The Democrat ran hard on abortion and protecting IVF, the latter of which is supported by 80-90% of Alabamians. Pretty clear that was an effective message and Dobbs is still relevant to voters. She did better against a normal Republican than AL Dem Senator Doug Jones did in the 2017 special against Republican Roy Moore who is banned from malls and tried to rape minor girls.

The fact that an Alabama seat that went TRUMP hard in 2020 and was red 2 years ago had been lost should have alarm bells ringing in QOP land.  She ran on IVF and abortion and won.  In Alabama.  

3 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Just popping in for another special election. This time a flip from red to blue in Alabama, the Huntsville suburbs. Republicans still are having problem in the suburbs and it may actually be getting worse for them. The Alabama Supreme Court effectively banned IVF by ruling in February that embryos were children and protected by law.

The Democrat ran hard on abortion and protecting IVF, the latter of which is supported by 80-90% of Alabamians. Pretty clear that was an effective message and Dobbs is still relevant to voters. She did better against a normal Republican than AL Dem Senator Doug Jones did in the 2017 special against Republican Roy Moore who is banned from malls and tried to rape minor girls.

How much of a danger do you see or believe a depleted war chest and low donations will have for the GOP leading up to the next election?

Just curious as I keep reading about how donations have slowed down and that money that should be going to campaigning individuals and reelection but is being spent otherwise

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

How much of a danger do you see or believe a depleted war chest and low donations will have for the GOP leading up to the next election?

Just curious as I keep reading about how donations have slowed down and that money that should be going to campaigning individuals and reelection but is being spent otherwise

Oh, it’s beyond parody. 1/3rd of the miniscule funds the RNC has raised so far can’t be spent on any election campaign. Biden, between his big 3 fundraising organizations of his campaign, his superPAC and the DNC have $155m COH. Trump has $42m COH. In January Biden raised $42m. In February he raised $53m. He has the most ever COH for any Democratic president at this point in his term. Trump raised $20m or $30m depending on which organizations you count, in February.

It’s so bad that it’s hitting downballot. After Kevin McCarthy, the California Republican speaker, was ousted, vulnerable Biden district or barely Trump district Republican incumbents lost 1/3rd of their funding after Q4, which is the worst fundraising quarter for all campaigns. Democratic state parties are flush with cash and Republican ones are broke, especially Arizona, Michigan, Minnesota and Nevada.

The only relatively decent fundraising organizations on the right currently are the GOP Senate and House campaign arms, but the DCCC is still out raising NRCC. Senate they’re doing well for, but that’s about it. That doesn’t even take into account the gap of individual campaign fundraising for tons of other races where Democrats are almost all outraising their Republican opponent.

It’s kind of hard to overstate just how much of an issue they have right now. Especially after wooing and winning over never before donors to the Trump campaign for many, many millions. One thing is for sure: If Democrats lose in 2024 it won’t be because of money. If anyone’s interested, opensecrets has campaign reports you can search through to see the differences.

• Cheers 3

South Carolina to hold 2024 congressional elections with map previously ruled unconstitutional

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — A federal court on Thursday ruled that this year’s congressional elections in South Carolina will be held under a map that it had already deemed unconstitutional and discriminatory against Black voters, with time running out ahead of voting deadlines and a lack of a decision on the case by the Supreme Court.

https://apnews.com/article/supreme-court-redistricting-south-carolina-black-voters-0afbede6f5bcae3eb0a8ba40bc33ef72

• Sad 1