US Elections Thread

Sharpshooter

6 hours ago, IamCANADIAN013 said:

Well I haven't seen him mumble incoherently through speeches.  I also haven't seen him wander off stage with a blank look in his eyes. Look, neither should even be running for President but here we are.  Biden has set the bar pretty low as far as competency goes at this point.

Then you haven't been paying attention.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 1/22/2024 at 11:49 PM, IamCANADIAN013 said:

Denazify. 🙄

Trump is mentally competent though.  Much more than Biden and that's really all that matters.

I remember when my Grandpa had Alzheimer's. The dark blank look in his eyes at times.  Have you taken a look at Biden lately?  Same look.

No need to run anyone else when Biden is the one running.

IMG_0908.jpeg

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 8:40 AM, Boudrias said:

Trump appears to be in it for what he can get. A lot of Americans can feel that things aren't going well for the USA and are prepared to look the other way when Trump chirps out a bunch of gobbly gook. I respect Biden for supporting Ukraine early on. That is what most Americans would agree with. What makes some Americans nervous is who is controlling Biden from behind the curtains? VP Harris has worse ratings than Biden and she is a heartbeat away from the Presidency. 

The leaky Mexican border is a big issue for most Americans, both DNC and GOP yet there is no deal to fix things. Both sides are playing politics. My hope is that there is a deal soon and that money and arms go to Ukraine. 

Republicans killed the border bill deal negotiated by the noted “moderate” Oklahoma Senator after demanding the border should be included with foreign aid to Israel, Taiwan and Ukraine and Democrats caved on a lot of what the GOP wanted. Noted Democratic supporter David Brooks (he’s been an American conservative analyst for many decades) even took Republicans to task in an op-ed blaming them for stopping the bill.

The stripped down foreign aid only bill passed the Senate with a 70-29 vote. 48/51 Democrats and only 22/48 Republicans supported it. The GOP House speaker Mike Johnson refuses to take it up and moderate Republicans in the House refuse to sign on to a discharge petition to force a vote despite the fact it would likely pass with a large majority.

Republicans now after months of screaming about the border crisis are saying there’s no need to do anything on the border, because they want it as a political issue to use in November. That the border should be decided in November by voters. Kind of like them saying a lawful Supreme Court Justice appointment should be decided by voters in November when the GOP blocked Obama from nominating Garland.

Saying it’s both sides fault equally that there’s no funding or bill to deal with the border without actually looking at what’s actually happening in the US lawmaker chambers is easy and lazy thinking. It’s fine if you don’t pay attention enough to know all this, after all Canada is our country, but don’t go commenting or explaining things about another country if you don’t follow the intricacies and inner workings of it, otherwise you will be lead to false conclusions.

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Hard to see this as anything but a repudiation of Trump. Looks more and more like the voting public is sick and tired of GOP nonsense.

Get ready to hear a lot more whining about stolen elections because the Trump Republicans can’t win.

What matters most for the free world is that the Orange Assclown loses. If he ends up in prison that’s icing. If dead that’s scotch. 

• chaos 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Hard to see this as anything but a repudiation of Trump. Looks more and more like the voting public is sick and tired of GOP nonsense.

Get ready to hear a lot more whining about stolen elections because the Trump Republicans can’t win.

Doturd sees it as a repudiation of not being MAGA enough.

“Very Foolish Woman”— Trump Attacks GOP Candidate Mazi Pilip After Election Loss

Trump makes New York’s special election about himself

IMG_1031.jpeg

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

100% completely anecdotal, so don’t take any of this to the bank and bet your house. A truckload of salt is warranted, because voters are freaking weird (I mean it, you’d bang your head against the wall if you listened in to focus groups on undecided/swing voters and what they think) and make their decisions for all sorts of reasons (most of which we never hear about) based on the candidates, a coin flip, timing, whatever issue is in their head that day etc, but there’s at least some evidence of this happening. At least as far as NY03 is concerned.

Edited by StanleyCupOneDay
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Republicans killed the border bill deal negotiated by the noted “moderate” Oklahoma Senator after demanding the border should be included with foreign aid to Israel, Taiwan and Ukraine and Democrats caved on a lot of what the GOP wanted. Noted Democratic supporter David Brooks (he’s been an American conservative analyst for many decades) even took Republicans to task in an op-ed blaming them for stopping the bill.

The stripped down foreign aid only bill passed the Senate with a 70-29 vote. 48/51 Democrats and only 22/48 Republicans supported it. The GOP House speaker Mike Johnson refuses to take it up and moderate Republicans in the House refuse to sign on to a discharge petition to force a vote despite the fact it would likely pass with a large majority.

Republicans now after months of screaming about the border crisis are saying there’s no need to do anything on the border, because they want it as a political issue to use in November. That the border should be decided in November by voters. Kind of like them saying a lawful Supreme Court Justice appointment should be decided by voters in November when the GOP blocked Obama from nominating Garland.

Saying it’s both sides fault equally that there’s no funding or bill to deal with the border without actually looking at what’s actually happening in the US lawmaker chambers is easy and lazy thinking. It’s fine if you don’t pay attention enough to know all this, after all Canada is our country, but don’t go commenting or explaining things about another country if you don’t follow the intricacies and inner workings of it, otherwise you will be lead to false conclusions.

I have been around long enough to know that both the GOP and the DNC are using the border for their own political purposes. That might be 'easy and lazy' thinking in your books but that is my comment. Not a false conclusion as you assume.  

37 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Ah yes, the classic "both sides" gambit.....when you are forced to try and defend the indefensible....:classic_rolleyes:

I am not into 'gambits' so either there is some validity or I am full of bullshit. When 2.5 million people enter the country through that border each year I don't think it is BS. The GOP plays this up as it gives them support from nervous Americans. The DNC admits there is a problem because they realize the issue is not polling well for them. They are adjusting their position on documentation as a result. 

11 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

If the Dems had any stones in their trousers they'd basically finally over a decade later use the Party of No against themselves by simply pointing out every loss or every failed piece of legislation was simply because the GOP doesn't want to work and give Dems any level of win by helping people.  

Essentially, the GOP would rather see the nation burn to the ground than give the Democrats a bucket of water because they would be able to say the dems burnt it all to the ground while they tried to help

• chaos 2

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am not into 'gambits' so either there is some validity or I am full of bullshit. When 2.5 million people enter the country through that border each year I don't think it is BS. The GOP plays this up as it gives them support from nervous Americans. The DNC admits there is a problem because they realize the issue is not polling well for them. They are adjusting their position on documentation as a result. 

Disagree.

You appear to be making the case that both sides are equally cynical when it comes to the border situation, but the FACT is, the Bill's main sponsor was a Republican who worked closely with a Democrat and an Independent. The came to a COMPROMISE, something that is virtually unheard of in the current US political landscape and something that guarantees there will be things that each side doesn't like....

This bill was killed for one reason: DONALD TRUMP. He wants the border crisis to continue, so he can campaign on it and the cast of cowards sitting in the House lack the spine to go against his wishes and take the very action that Republicans have been crying about for years.

And to make it even worse, these same Republicans have voted to Impeach the guy who would have been charged with implementing the agreement they just shot down.

On 2/14/2024 at 3:59 PM, nuckin_futz said:

I don't know how it has escaped people there has been a new party in the US for the last 8 years of so.

The Trumplicans.

@StanleyCupOneDay 

If you had to call it today.

Who do you believe will win ?

And by roughly how many electoral votes ? 

My interest is ramping up a bit coming into this election cycle.

I don't usually contribute to the these US politics threads, it's a complete shitshow.

I certainly hope Biden beats PO1135809.

It is a really fuckin scary proposition, another four years of PO1135809.

Not just what this means for America, but the impact this will have on the world.

I do wish the American people had two better, and younger people to chose from.

I think most people would get the LOTR reference, but I would alter that meme a bit....

Trump would be Sauron, with his army of red hat wearing Orcs....Mike Johnson would be the Saruman analogue, doing the bidding of his lord and master..... 

26 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I think most people would get the LOTR reference, but I would alter that meme a bit....

Trump would be Sauron, with his army of red hat wearing Orcs....Mike Johnson would be the Saruman analogue, doing the bidding of his lord and master..... 

Then the visual 2 old guys part doesn’t fit. Saruman built an army too and is trying to destroy Middle Earth. I agree overall Sauron is a better fit for being Trump, but you don’t see how old he is, which makes the meme less visually powerful then you seeing 2 old guys as the choice before Americans.

32 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

2 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Then the visual 2 old guys part doesn’t fit. Saruman built an army too and is trying to destroy Middle Earth. I agree overall Sauron is a better fit for being Trump, but you don’t see how old he is, which makes the meme less visually powerful then you seeing 2 old guys as the choice before Americans.

But how can we be certain that russian guy puta isn't the best fit for Sauron?  :classic_ninja:

26 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I haven't see the meme, but I probably would have done something like this:

image.jpeg.8056236c2066e18dc5c996fda02a5e0c.jpeg

Also, if I was going to do "The Two Towers", it would look something like this:

Orthanc.webp.8945ee717fa13b5c0806479ad9e18f6e.webpimage.thumb.jpeg.397f3a589c2ebb3d65464a4c156d408f.jpeg