[Speculation] Marek believes there will be buyouts to come when window opens 48 hours after Cup Final

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

I think management trying everything like involving his agent before the retention/picks and trade 

We did the same with boeser and garlsnd. No trades came about and both players had bounce back seasons. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We did the same with boeser and garlsnd. No trades came about and both players had bounce back seasons. 

Stone hands Mik needs to go. He just sucks Alfie. Too many grade A chances and he just can’t buy a goal. Has nothing to do with his knee or skating. He can’t bury anything 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

You just keep inventing assumptions to make an argument that isn’t based in fact.

We don’t know if the team has gotten to the point of offering him with retained salary.

There have hardly been any moves as the unofficial moratorium in trades during the Cup final is still in place.  You are talking like we are already at the end of the buyout window.  Start talking about worst options after the offseason has actually started.

Lots of teams are probably going to see what players get bought out initially.

The Canucks aren’t that desperate to trade him at any cost, he isn’t terrible…. He just isn’t a top six guy.  They still need to get more wingers, so they would need to replace him anyways at the same cost as retaining a million or so.

The cost to buy him out and then the cost of a replacement likely adds up to more than just keeping him.  

Okay, why do you think his agent is involved in trying to make a trade?  Do you think this is how the process of trading a player normally begins?  Or is it what happens when the GM has tried and failed?

Of course I'm drawing inferences from all of this:  (1) they are trying to move him, (2) there are no takers at his cap hit, (3) his agent is trying to spare him the humiliation of waivers or a buyout, which suggests a credible threat of those outcomes.  Yes, a trade with retention may still be possible, but why would the GM turn that over to the agent when he's clawing for every bit of cap space?  Allvin presumably knows what he's willing to retain, and what the market for Mik is.  If he's thrown his hands up in the air, there must be a reason why.

Yes, we could end up retaining Mik like we did with Boesser and Garland last summer.  The context is way different this time around, however.  The Canucks are on the verge of contention, want to retain some very good players and go after others, and need every last bit of cap space to do it.  Our management is notoriously aggressive and likely isn't going to be patient trying to rehabilitate an underperforming player.  If that's the case, they'll want Mik gone by July 1 at the latest.

Bottom line:  if you think they're okay keeping him, why is his agent trying to swing a deal?  It doesn't add up.

Edited by Maniwaki Canuck
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Okay, why do you think his agent is involved in trying to make a trade?  Do you think this is how the process of trading a player normally begins?  Or is it what happens when the GM has tried and failed?

Of course I'm drawing inferences from all of this:  (1) they are trying to move him, (2) there are no takers at his cap hit, (3) his agent is trying to spare him the humiliation of waivers or a buyout, which suggests a credible threat of those outcomes.  Yes, a trade with retention may still be possible, but why would the GM turn that over to the agent when he's clawing for every bit of cap space?  Allvin presumably knows what he's willing to retain, and what the market for Mik is.  If he's thrown his hands up in the air, there must be a reason why.

Yes, we could end up retaining Mik like we did with Boesser and Garland last summer.  The context is way different this time around, however.  The Canucks are on the verge of contention, want to retain some very good players and go after others, and need every last bit of cap space to do it.  Our management is notoriously aggressive and likely isn't going to be patient trying to rehabilitate an underperforming player.  If that's the case, they'll want Mik gone by July 1 at the latest.

Bottom line:  if you think they're okay keeping him, why is his agent trying to swing a deal?  It doesn't add up.

Yea the agent stepping in publicly is the final hail Mary move.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

Stone hands Mik needs to go. He just sucks Alfie. Too many grade A chances and he just can’t buy a goal. Has nothing to do with his knee or skating. He can’t bury anything 

Exactly, he will never be more than a 15 to 20 goal scorer who is good defensively. He gets a lot of chances because of his speed and tenacity but he doesn’t have the scoring touch. The only reason why he possibly won’t get bought out is because of the OEL buyout already in place.

2 hours ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

You answer your own questions in your own post.

We did keep Garland and Boeser.  The team let their agents look for a deal, but it clearly had to be a deal that the team was happy with, not a precursor to a buyout.  Did you notice that Boeser and Garland didn’t get bought out?  We were in a much bigger cap crunch last year and they were both distressed assets.

Exactly how many retained salary trades or buyouts have happened around the league at this point?  Heck there have only been two trades of note league wide.  It is just nonsense to say we are already at the Hail Mary stage when trading hasn’t even really opened up.

The draft, qualifying offers, early buyouts, etc change the trade market significantly and more action happens once teams have a better handle on the market and options.

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Provost said:

We did keep Garland and Boeser.  The team let their agents look for a deal, but it clearly had to be a deal that the team was happy with, not a precursor to a buyout.  Did you notice that Boeser and Garland didn’t get bought out?  We were in a much bigger cap crunch last year and they were both distressed assets.

Exactly how many retained salary trades or buyouts have happened around the league at this point?  Heck there have only been two trades of note league wide.  It is just nonsense to say we are already at the Hail Mary stage when trading hasn’t even really opened up.

The draft, qualifying offers, early buyouts, etc change the trade market significantly and more action happens once teams have a better handle on the market and options.

Let history judge, I'm not banging my head against your wall any further. 

8 hours ago, Coryberg said:

I know right? 6th overall in the entire league is definitely barely competent. Poor oilers were 3 spots back so they are obviously incompetent and the panthers were only a point ahead of us so luckily they barely made the bar.

Team I seen in the playoffs looked barely competent. But they did choke away the number 1 seed. So they weren't too bad.

Edited by JeremyCuddles
  • Haha 1

If the panthers lose game 7, after seeing the look on their owners face, people are getting bought out. Traded. Fired........ hell, the look in his eyes, wouldn't shock me if some went "missing".  If I'm on that team, and we lose, I would be putting a whole lot of gone between me and him.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Agents get involved publicly when there's no other option, yea that's the hail Mary stage trying to find a fit. 

If Mik had positive value he'd be gone by now.

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Agents get involved publicly when there's no other option, yea that's the hail Mary stage trying to find a fit. 

If Mik had positive value he'd be gone by now.

No one said he had positive value.  The guy is saying that he will for sure be getting bought out.

We are nowhere near that.

Just now, Provost said:

No one said he had positive value.  The guy is saying that he will for sure be getting bought out.

We are nowhere near that.

If we trade for Guentzel between now and the end of the buyout window it may be the only option. 

16 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I get that, I'd forgotten about the OEL bit when making my original post. 

As for Lekkerimaki and Willander, they're great prospects but that seems unlikely imo. I'd love to be wrong, but I have more modest expectations of their rookie years. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Willander went back to Boston, he'd get a bigger opportunity there. 

If they earn spots they'll get looks, but I think it'll be tougher competition for Willander than Lekkerimaki, but I'm also hoping we bolster the right side beyond just bringing Myers back. 

Lekkerimaki is a great prospect but I wouldn't call him a Pettersson level prospect, what Raty turns into is anyone's guess but I'm expecting more of a middle six ceiling. 

Of all our guys, only Lekkerimaki is considered a slam dunk "blue chip NHLer".   What that means could be a lot of things.   And nope not EP like (30/30 guy out of the gate), but one can hope.   As for when he's predicted to make the leap, THN has 2025/2026 slated as a regular.    Look at JV, Hogs, Podz.   Higher draft picks get their chances.   The level of impact is much more difficult to predict,  JV and Podz were considered slam dunks too.   Middle six or bottom six.    Lekkerimaki?   Agree tempering expectations.   Slotting him on EPs wing next year with Mikheyev for example, no teeth at all.   Maybe in the regular season. 

How does our team line-up?  Well 21st THN ranking pre-draft, expect that will go down (25-26th after the draft) in future watch,  how teams stack up compared to one another prospect wise.   Not terrible considering where we are at in our cycle.   Part of what happens when you win the division and use draft and player capital (we did lose a very good D prospect too). 

Not great either, because we truly don't have much in our system after Lekkerimaki, who is ranked 11th best of the bunch, Willander 56th (far from a sure thing, depends on his development, wasn't an earth shattering year for him) D-Petey,  Willander,  Silovs, Lekkerimaki  are the only guys that have a good chance of earning a second NHL contract and becoming more than a depth add (Bains, McWard, Sasson).   Raty and Karlsson are somewhere in between.    Could develop into more still.   For perspective, OJ was ranked in the mid 50's for years (best prospect in the world) post draft.    Slid out of the top 20 quickly.   Bright side, 11 is incredible considering the competition, that pick has been great for us so far. 

One thing's for sure, we will need at least 3 of these guys to work out as regulars for us.    Hogs and Podz, we have tweeters too.   So by committee.  

Silovs and Bains might be the only guys we see play many games next season.     Unless they want to take a step back.   Which I seriously doubt.   Podz was curiously missing from their prospect list, figure that's because they already consider him a depth NHL regular, regular. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Devron said:

Frocken boring. Let’s go off-season hurry up 

Monday the stuff closes up.    Cup won.   And well free agency is just around the corner.    Expect some celebrations, then some things happening.   And then a frenzy of action July 1-5. 

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

Exactly. Boeser, Garland and Myers were taking heat one year ago. I think all three had decent to great seasons. I wouldn't be shocked if Mik has a come back season. Maybe we can trade him later once he proves he's back skating. Better selling high on Garland this off season to free up space, and then trade Mik when his value isn't at the bottom.

• Like 1

Just now, Bonkers said:

Exactly. Boeser, Garland and Myers were taking heat one year ago. I think all three had decent to great seasons. I wouldn't be shocked if Mik has a come back season. Maybe we can trade him later once he proves he's back skating. Better selling high on Garland this off season to free up space, and then trade Mik when his value isn't at the bottom.

Yup. Likely we sign Geuntzel and have a top line of: Geuntzel, Petey, Mik. Mik will score 20+ and be the big, fast hard forechecking winger that line needs. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup. Likely we sign Geuntzel and have a top line of: Geuntzel, Petey, Mik. Mik will score 20+ and be the big, fast hard forechecking winger that line needs. 

That line would be well balanced, maybe better with Mik than Hogz with those two.

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Monday the stuff closes up.    Cup won.   And well free agency is just around the corner.    Expect some celebrations, then some things happening.   And then a frenzy of action July 1-5. 

And then a quiet month and a half to 2 months with little to no hockey 😔

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Fast Mik creates space, Petey gets his shooter. 

The market may simply force us to keep Mik and move Garland. 

• ThereItIs 1

23 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

In a vacuum yes.  Don't forget the worst years of OEL's buyout are in the next two years.  UNLESS the cap goes up big time, we'd be missing out on the cap space to bring in a top-quality player because we're paying to wriggle out from mistakes, when a little patience may turn Mikheyev into an asset later when he's fully recovered.

Or he remains completely useless for the next two years and artificially deflates our cap space by $5 mil leaving us a worse team going forward.

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Or he remains completely useless for the next two years and artificially deflates our cap space by $5 mil leaving us a worse team going forward.

the nucks have a lot of leverage right now to get Mik to agree to go somewhere on his no trade list... but I'm starting to doubt that there will be a taker without a significant add. When the agent goes public imo thats a near sure sign you can't move a guy reasonably. Hope I'm wrong on that.

Personally I'd like to see both Garly and Mik moved, really open up the chance to reshape the F group. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

And then a quiet month and a half to 2 months with little to no hockey 😔

don’t worry, Frankfurter Seravalli has already cooked up two months worth of rumours for us all to peruse during the lull

• ThereItIs 2