[Speculation] Marek believes there will be buyouts to come when window opens 48 hours after Cup Final

21 hours ago, R3aL said:

Its just that there's a surplus of wingers available that could be had at better contract numbers so moving him could have to wait late off season where undesirable destinations or none winning teams are left with some roster gaps and they need pro bodies.

Or a mid season trade like Beuavillier.

21 hours ago, fuzzy said:

Agreed. On the bottom 6 he has some value and can contribute in a variety of ways. Recovering his speed and confidence is the key. We'll be able to move him in season if needed.

Yeah, maybe the best move is to just take our lumps this season and focus on creating the necessary cap space moving forward. Gamble that Mikheyev can regain some form and be moved easier. Also, as another year passes we'll have a future first rounder to use in a trade chip for an impact player on a cheap contract. Might be the only way to navigate through the OEL penalty. Man, that's such a killer right when we're supposed to be in our best window.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

Of all our guys, only Lekkerimaki is considered a slam dunk "blue chip NHLer".   What that means could be a lot of things.   And nope not EP like (30/30 guy out of the gate), but one can hope.   As for when he's predicted to make the leap, THN has 2025/2026 slated as a regular.    Look at JV, Hogs, Podz.   Higher draft picks get their chances.   The level of impact is much more difficult to predict,  JV and Podz were considered slam dunks too.   Middle six or bottom six.    Lekkerimaki?   Agree tempering expectations.   Slotting him on EPs wing next year with Mikheyev for example, no teeth at all.   Maybe in the regular season. 

How does our team line-up?  Well 21st THN ranking pre-draft, expect that will go down (25-26th after the draft) in future watch,  how teams stack up compared to one another prospect wise.   Not terrible considering where we are at in our cycle.   Part of what happens when you win the division and use draft and player capital (we did lose a very good D prospect too). 

Not great either, because we truly don't have much in our system after Lekkerimaki, who is ranked 11th best of the bunch, Willander 56th (far from a sure thing, depends on his development, wasn't an earth shattering year for him) D-Petey,  Willander,  Silovs, Lekkerimaki  are the only guys that have a good chance of earning a second NHL contract and becoming more than a depth add (Bains, McWard, Sasson).   Raty and Karlsson are somewhere in between.    Could develop into more still.   For perspective, OJ was ranked in the mid 50's for years (best prospect in the world) post draft.    Slid out of the top 20 quickly.   Bright side, 11 is incredible considering the competition, that pick has been great for us so far. 

One thing's for sure, we will need at least 3 of these guys to work out as regulars for us.    Hogs and Podz, we have tweeters too.   So by committee.  

Silovs and Bains might be the only guys we see play many games next season.     Unless they want to take a step back.   Which I seriously doubt.   Podz was curiously missing from their prospect list, figure that's because they already consider him a depth NHL regular, regular. 

It's really hard to tell with prospects, even blue chip guys. The best a team can do is draft and try to develop them, there are other ways to acquire talent but more often than not teams get their top guys via the draft. I think Lekkerimaki stands a good chance to becoming an NHL'er, but he may be more of a boom or bust sort of player, it'd be interesting to see whether he could carve out a career as a third liner for example. 

Willander is still very young as far as D go, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him head back to Boston for another season. Still lots of time to develop, plenty of stewing and learning he could be doing. Most young D don't step in like Hughes did. That goes for D Pettersson too, hard to see him being an impact guy right off the hop, that's a big ask for any prospect.

Hogs and Podz need to be something sooner than later, Hoglander took a good step last season though. Podz may this coming season, we could really use that. 

We are at a point where we've seen management using higher end picks to try and make the roster competitive now, I hope they find a way to balance that though. I get that the general consensus is that we're in a window right now, but if we sail through this window without winning a cup and continue to ship out higher end picks we may end up in a scenario where we've little in the cupboards as our top guys begin to trend down. It's one thing to be in that scenario having on a cup, like Pittsburgh and Tampa, another to push your chips in and miss. Sooner or later teams pay for that one way or another, one of Florida and Edmonton may experience that sooner than later. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Been pondering that very possibility. Move Garland for assets, use some of those assets to move Mik.

Would free up a TONNE of cap for trades and UFA's to really reshape the roster in to what they want.

exactly... been suggesting this for a long time...

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Been pondering that very possibility. Move Garland for assets, use some of those assets to move Mik.

Would free up a TONNE of cap for trades and UFA's to really reshape the roster in to what they want.

Clearing both give us 28 mil in cap?

room for Geuntzel, Big Z, DJ, Myers, Blueger? 

• Cheers 2

38 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, we've suggesting this move for a while now. Even though Garland was great last year he still remains an obvious piece to move in order to properly shape the roster.

35 minutes ago, spook007 said:

exactly... been suggesting this for a long time...

Yessir. Hope you've been well lately spook. Should be an exciting week or two coming up before the doldrums of hockey summer.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

26 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That'd certainly be ambitious, and fun to see.

Garland's been a spark plug, but the flex of freeing up both his and Mikheyev's cap is appealing.

I don't think I'd go after Guentzel, I'd also let someone else overpay Joshua. 

What I would do instead if look to bring in another top 4RD to play in the top 4 with Hronek. 

DeMelo, Roy, Walker, and Pesce would all be interesting. Options like Lyubushkin, Schultz, and Carrier would be intriguing as well. 

Point being, I'd reallocate some of the cap to our D. Ideally Myers isn't playing as a top 4RD next season. 

Hughes, Tanev/Pesce

Hagg, Hronek

Zadorov, Soucy 

😍

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hughes, Tanev/Pesce

Hagg, Hronek

Zadorov, Soucy 

😍

Yup, build from the net out. Which isn't to say don't look to bolster the forward group, but I'd lean more towards building quality depth than looking to add a top end guy in Guentzel. 

There are plenty of good forwards out there and we already have some high end talent for them to play with in the top six. I don't believe we need to go out and sign a star forward, we'd be better served adding a couple top six forwards instead of one. 

• Vintage 1
  • chaos 1

57 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, we've suggesting this move for a while now. Even though Garland was great last year he still remains an obvious piece to move in order to properly shape the roster.

Yessir. Hope you've been well lately spook. Should be an exciting week or two coming up before the doldrums of hockey summer.

Cheers amigo, good thanks. Hope you are too... Yes lets get some action going before boredom takes over...

We were looking good, and I think they have a real plan how to change it around for next season ...

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yup, build from the net out. Which isn't to say don't look to bolster the forward group, but I'd lean more towards building quality depth than looking to add a top end guy in Guentzel. 

There are plenty of good forwards out there and we already have some high end talent for them to play with in the top six. I don't believe we need to go out and sign a star forward, we'd be better served adding a couple top six forwards instead of one. 

I dunno if I agree with that. I'd pretty happily add Guentzel, particularly if we can still bring back Z and add another top 4 RHD. Are there really plenty? None at JG's level, Toffoli is too slow to realistically consider on this team, that leaves what? Tera and Stephenson?

29 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That'd certainly be ambitious, and fun to see.

Garland's been a spark plug, but the flex of freeing up both his and Mikheyev's cap is appealing.

I don't think I'd go after Guentzel, I'd also let someone else overpay Joshua. 

What I would do instead if look to bring in another top 4RD to play in the top 4 with Hronek. 

DeMelo, Roy, Walker, and Pesce would all be interesting. Options like Lyubushkin, Schultz, and Carrier would be intriguing as well. 

Point being, I'd reallocate some of the cap to our D. Ideally Myers isn't playing as a top 4RD next season. 

I definitely agree with targetting another RD to play behind Hronek. We've seen the previous 10 years (last year aside) results when ignoring the right side of defence and just filling with plugs.

I'm also on the fence with Guentzel. I'm hoping we might be able to get him for around $8.5 - 9 mil per. We definitely need a better winger to play with Petterson regardless, but I wonder if a Debrusk, Tarasenko, Buchnevich, Saad, Ehlers, Teravainen, or similar might be a better expenditure considering our cap complications.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yep. I'd like to think given that chance we'd see a lot of issues solved. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Clearing both give us 28 mil in cap?

room for Geuntzel, Big Z, DJ, Myers, Blueger? 

Not just ufa's it also allows us to take advantage of cap strapped teams and absorb full caphits on good players. Similar to how we acquired Zadorov for so little.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

34 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

Not just ufa's it also allows us to take advantage of cap strapped teams and absorb full caphits on good players. Similar to how we acquired Zadorov for so little.

Vegas comes to mind...

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Vegas comes to mind...

Yes, plus Colorado, Tampa, Florida, Columbus, and others... lot's of teams will want to move on from players to reallocate cap space. We are uniquely positioned to take advantage of that and should.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I dunno if I agree with that. I'd pretty happily add Guentzel, particularly if we can still bring back Z and add another top 4 RHD. Are there really plenty? None at JG's level, Toffoli is too slow to realistically consider on this team, that leaves what? Tera and Stephenson?

It depends on what management wants from their forward group as a whole, and from their top six in general. No, there aren't other players out there at JG's level, but that doesn't mean there aren't solid options out there not named Jake Guentzel either. 

Yeah, Tofu's a slower option. But guys like Marchessault, Stephenson, Monahan, Drouin, Tarasenko, Teravainen, and Debrusk could be interesting. Hell, you can consider older guys like Henrique and Perrson, or lower tier guys like Noesen, Foegele, Duclair, Sprong, Heinen, and Martinook too. Bringing Joshua back is an option too, although I think he walks. 

A higher end up and one of the lower end guys could bolster multiple lines.

If they could bring in a higher tier guy, a mid to lower tier guy to fill Joshua's slot, sign Z, Myers, and another top 4RD that might result in a more rounded team. Obviously Guentzel is a higher end player, but I'm not convinced he's necessary and I won't be remotely upset if he ends up elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I definitely agree with targetting another RD to play behind Hronek. We've seen the previous 10 years (last year aside) results when ignoring the right side of defence and just filling with plugs.

I'm also on the fence with Guentzel. I'm hoping we might be able to get him for around $8.5 - 9 mil per. We definitely need a better winger to play with Petterson regardless, but I wonder if a Debrusk, Tarasenko, Buchnevich, Saad, Ehlers, Teravainen, or similar might be a better expenditure considering our cap complications.

A better winger than Mikheyev could look like a lot of players though, doesn't have to be Guentzel. Hard to say what management is looking for. 

But yeah, if nothing else I think we need to bring in another top 4RD if possible. Having two legit top 4RD would be a boost. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It depends on what management wants from their forward group as a whole, and from their top six in general. No, there aren't other players out there at JG's level, but that doesn't mean there aren't solid options out there not named Jake Guentzel either. 

Yeah, Tofu's a slower option. But guys like Marchessault, Stephenson, Monahan, Drouin, Tarasenko, Teravainen, and Debrusk could be interesting. Hell, you can consider older guys like Henrique and Perrson, or lower tier guys like Noesen, Foegele, Duclair, Sprong, Heinen, and Martinook too. Bringing Joshua back is an option too, although I think he walks. 

If they could bring in a higher tier guy, a mid to lower tier guy to fill Joshua's slot, sign Z, Myers, and another top 4RD that might result in a more rounded team. Obviously Guentzel is a higher end player, but I'm not convinced he's necessary and I won't be remotely upset if he ends up elsewhere. 

A better winger than Mikheyev could look like a lot of players though, doesn't have to be Guentzel. Hard to say what management is looking for. 

But yeah, if nothing else I think we need to bring in another top 4RD if possible. Having two legit top 4RD would be a boost. 

Well said

58 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

A lot of mid 6/3rd liner in that list. I'm just not sure many of those guys move the needle much for us, beyond maybe Marsh. Feel like we'd be better off just keeping our guys and hoping Hog, Podz and eventually Lekk take steps to fill in those gaps. 

Guentzel moves needles in a big way.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

A lot of mid 6/3rd liner in that list. I'm just not sure many of those guys move the needle much for us, beyond maybe Marsh. Feel like we'd be better off just keeping our guys and hoping Hog, Podz and eventually Lekk take steps to fill in those gaps. 

Guentzel moves needles in a big way.

There's only one Guentzel though, and the odds of him hitting free agency are pretty good. It may just be we have to go after a second liner+ regardless of what some folks would prefer.

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hughes, Tanev/Pesce

Hagg, Hronek

Zadorov, Soucy 

😍

Curious why you'd want a guy that played 5 NHL games last year on our second pair? Surely we can aim a little higher than that, no?

3 hours ago, Kenins said:

Curious why you'd want a guy that played 5 NHL games last year on our second pair? Surely we can aim a little higher than that, no?

Because he would cost league minimum. I'm sure he would want another chance to prove himself and if it doesn't work he would be sent to Abby. Not a big risk, not sure how good of a puck mover he is. But I used to like him in Philly

Senators Notes: Hamonic, Brannstrom, Bernard-Docker

June 23rd, 2024 at 8:16pm CST • By Josh Cybulski

Bruce Garrioch of Postmedia is reporting that the Ottawa Senators are likely to buy out veteran defenseman Travis Hamonic when the buyout window opens after the Stanley Cup is awarded. The 33-year-old was brought back last summer by former Senators general manager Pierre Dorion and was largely a disaster registering just six points in 48 games.

On top of his poor offensive output, Hamonic was a liability on the ice, posting dreadful possession numbers with a CF% of 43.2% and an xGF% of 41.5%. The Senators don’t have many effective right-shot defensemen but can ill-afford to roll Hamonic back out next season for nearly 15 minutes per game. Hamonic is owed $1.1MM next year meaning a buyout would cost Ottawa $366,667 in each of the next two seasons. Ottawa would save $733,333 next year which would certainly help as they look to address their goaltending.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/senators-notes-hamonic-brannstrom-bernard-docker.html#ref=home