[Speculation] Marek believes there will be buyouts to come when window opens 48 hours after Cup Final

10 hours ago, Kenins said:

Curious why you'd want a guy that played 5 NHL games last year on our second pair? Surely we can aim a little higher than that, no?

Yeah, don't know what happened there. Bad fit in ANA? Or maybe he's actually fallen off a cliff? Hronek plays best with a relatively cerebral, defense first partner that's decent at moving the puck, which Hagg used to be. He's not exciting by any means, but he should be cheap and if it didn't work, up bump him down to 3rd pair/spare/AHL and move Zadorov/Soucy up. 

I'm not "married" to Hagg specifically by any means, but that's the type of guy we should target. 

• Cheers 1

A lot of smoke around Skinner being bought out.

Id be calling him up right away. Perfect value contract that can slot into the top 6 for cheap. 

Sell him on Rutherford drafting him and getting an opportunity to play with a couple 100 point players on the first unit PP. Perfect chance to boost his stats and get one more big payday.

A move like that is exactly how Florida benefited with a cheap OEL.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I completely agree and see this is a low-risk/high-reward situation where we can even trade him if things just do not work out here. It would also allow us to invest more in another top-6 winger and re-sign either Z and/or Dak. I love the idea of JG coming here, but I do not think we will be able to provide him the money that another team like LAK or DET can if they come calling. Both teams just moved out a lot of cap and IMO it is to make a splash in FA or make a run at Marner. If our consolation is Skinner, Toffoli, Dak, Z and a solid bottom-6 winger/PK'er and dman I am more than stoked about that. Bring back Mysie and Bleugs and things are looking deeeeeeeheeeeecent!

Skinner (3x3)

Toff (3x4.5)

Duhaime (3x2.0)

5-7 dman (1x850-1.5)

21 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

Any surprise buy out candidates out there? Would Columbus buy out Gaudreau or Laine? any ideas on who may get bought out?

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator

If Edmonton wanted to win they need to buy out Nurse or trade him without any retention.  They have a 2 year window to win the cup.  

Edmonton would free up approx $10 million in cap in year 1 and approx $8.5 million in year 2.  Nurse would have a really high cap in buyout year 3-6 but Edmonton need to rebuild by then anyways.

Nurse is not performing as a $9.5 million cap hit and needs to be moved if they want to have another chance to win the cup.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bolt said:

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator

If Edmonton wanted to win they need to buy out Nurse or trade him without any retention.  They have a 2 year window to win the cup.  

Edmonton would free up approx $10 million in cap in year 1 and approx $8.5 million in year 2.  Nurse would have a really high cap in buyout year 3-6 but Edmonton need to rebuild by then anyways.

Nurse is not performing as a $9.5 million cap hit and needs to be moved if they want to have another chance to win the cup.

He's a good candidate for sure. That wouldn't shock me.

My dream scenario. Fact is NHL is in a real healthy place right now post Covid. NHL grants every team one buyout, full salary to one player, per team. Can include buyouts already on the books. Would help the Canucks and other teams and shake the NHL tree a bit. 

• ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Id be calling him up right away. Perfect value contract that can slot into the top 6 for cheap. 

Sell him on Rutherford drafting him and getting an opportunity to play with a couple 100 point players on the first unit PP. Perfect chance to boost his stats and get one more big payday.

Love this idea.  If we buyout Mik, we can get Skinner, Zads and Marino.  Leaving Myers to hopefully take a sweetheart deal for the 3rd pairing.

2 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Love this idea.  If we buyout Mik, we can get Skinner, Zads and Marino.  Leaving Myers to hopefully take a sweetheart deal for the 3rd pairing.

That would be great  if it happens.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Rekker said:

My dream scenario. Fact is NHL is in a real healthy place right now post Covid. NHL grants every team one buyout, full salary to one player, per team. Can include buyouts already on the books. Would help the Canucks and other teams and shake the NHL tree a bit. 

NHLPA should be fully on board with this.  Buyout Cap hits are costing current players money.  Rewarding players who don't live up to their contracts while punishing players who deserve a pay increase never made sense.

Edited by bolt
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, bolt said:

NHLPA should be fully on board with this.  Buyout Cap hits are costing current players money.  Rewarding players who don't live up to their contracts while punishing players who deserve a pay increase never made sense.

Exactly. And if the player receives all his monies at this one time buyout its not costing them anything. 

On 6/22/2024 at 9:00 AM, Coconuts said:

Not ideal, but it depends on what the cost to move him is 

His buyout isn't terrible

1.15M

2.15M

1.5M

1.5M

Eats into any cap increases and hurts us a bit this offseason, but it could definitely be worse

Trade him with $2 million retained for 2 years is almost as good and it saves the last 2 years of cap hit.

$2.75 million for Mik you'd probably get some interest.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bure10Kuzmenko96 said:

Has the buyout period started? Or when does it start?

48 hours after the cup has been awarded. Whether they mean 8pm tonight (~48 hours), or tomorrow morning, not sure.

Edited by Chickenspear
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

48 hours after the cup has been awarded. Whether they mean 8pm tonight (~48 hours), or tomorrow morning, not sure.

I think I read somewhere it's 8pm tonight.

• Thanks 2

Maybe Silovs will take us to arbitration and it opens a 2nd buyout window for us to consider Mikheyev.

Once the early free agency frenzy is over, teams who missed out on targets will be looking at filling holes in their lineups.  Mikheyev at $1 million retained maybe starts to look pretty good as a 3rd line PKers at that point to someone.

On 6/22/2024 at 9:50 AM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Disagree.  Management is obviously determined to make Mik go away or they wouldn't have got Milstein involved.  They aren't stupid and will have offered retention at or close to the buyout costs of 1-2 mil they'd pay over the next for years (see a few posts up up the thread).  But so far there's still no takers and that shouldn't be very surprising.  Anyone who wants to take a chance on Mik is waiting for the buyout first, and will then swoop in with a 1-2 mil offer.  That's where this is trending by all indicators.

On 6/22/2024 at 12:25 PM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

If the agent is involved it means that the team is trying to move him and haven't been able to.  It's a sign of desperation:  you don't have to do that when a player still has perceived value.  It shows that we have no bargaining power in this situation.  What's the next step?  Yeah, maybe waivers but if they could have given him away for free, they probably already would have given the players they want to retain.  So then it's down to retention or buyout.  Is anyone going to want him at 3.75 mil?  I doubt it.  Suppose we go to 50% retention where he costs both parties 2.375 for 2 years.  Maybe someone bites at that price point but I'm not sure we do.  A buyout starts to look like the lesser of two evils from our point of view. 

I'd love to be wrong about this but I don't see him having any value, even at half his salary. 

On 6/22/2024 at 8:41 PM, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Let history judge, I'm not banging my head against your wall any further. 

History has judged.  

As myself and everyone else said, the chicken little “sky is falling” hand wringing before the playoffs were even over was very premature.

A little bit of retention and a swap of picks a few years from now.  A vastly better deal than buying him out.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

History has judged.  

As myself and everyone else said, the chicken little “sky is falling” hand wringing before the playoffs were even over was very premature.

A little bit of retention and a swap of picks a few years from now.  A vastly better deal than buying him out.

Great.  I'm glad they were able to do it without a buyout and that his negative value  ended up being only the difference between a second- and a fourth-round pick.  But they were going to get rid of him one way or another and did. 

• ThereItIs 1

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Two year cheaper deal so when the oel is at highest we get a cheap fit.

19 hours ago, Guntrix said:

I always find it funny when so-called journalists make obvious announcements.

I wonder if Marek will also announce that there will be a 2024-25 NHL season. 

"I'm hearing" 

• Upvote 1