[RUMOUR] Leafs have NO interest in extending Mitch Marner, possible trade this week

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's worth about $10M, so overpaid by about $1M.

In the last year of his contract, which will lower his value more unless permission to negotiate an extension beforehand. 

Marner has a NMC.  Lowers his value some more.

Toronto will have to take whatever they can get if they wanna move him within the week (presumably to take a run at the big UFAs next week).

Can't see any contender being interested unless Toronto retains $1M.

I think CHI would be really interested, and probably Utah as well.  But that's where the NMC kicks in.  Marner can refuse to go anywhere. 

Will be very interesting to see how this turns out.

Would you?

Marner to Vancouver

Mikheyev to Toronto

Saves $6M in cap for Toronto while they receive a guy they're familiar with back in the fold.

Vancouver dumps Mik, and gains Marner at an ugly $10.9M cap hit... but for only 1 year...

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 2

I wonder if there's something that makes sense with the Islanders. Lou drafted him and they could use more offense.

Maybe something like Marner for Pulock + Varlamov?

Toronto gets a top pair capable RD to babysit Reilly and a strong mentor for Woll. NYI get a huge offensive boost plus a player that can still thrive in their defense first system.

• Vintage 3

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not sure why he is labelled as a playoff choker.  He didn't have a good playoffs this year, but the guy has 50 playoff points in 57 games including 14 points in 11 games last year.  He plays on the PK as well, and is strong defensively.

The problem in Toronto isn't Matthews, Marner, or Nylander.  It's Tavares and Reilly.

Good post, as much as I hate the Leafs Marner tends to get more flack than he deserves. 

Wouldn't be remotely surprised to see Anaheim check in on him too. Maybe something around Marner for Zegras+.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Would you?

Marner to Vancouver

Mikheyev to Toronto

Saves $6M in cap for Toronto while they receive a guy they're familiar with back in the fold.

Vancouver dumps Mik, and gains Marner at an ugly $10.9M cap hit... but for only 1 year...

I would do that in a heartbeat. I think marner is going to have a lot more value than that, the ask is probably a top 4 D and a pick.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I wonder if there's something that makes sense with the Islanders. Lou drafted him and they could use more offense.

Maybe something like Marner for Pulock + Varlamov?

Toronto gets a top pair capable RD to babysit Reilly and a strong mentor for Woll. NYI get a huge offensive boost plus a player that can still thrive in their defense first system.

It’s a fair trade but Marner comes free (only the cost of a contract) July 2025

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not sure why he is labelled as a playoff choker.  He didn't have a good playoffs this year, but the guy has 50 playoff points in 57 games including 14 points in 11 games last year.  He plays on the PK as well, and is strong defensively.

The problem in Toronto isn't Matthews, Marner, or Nylander.  It's Tavares and Reilly.

Well, they aren’t re-signing him, and he constantly avoided contact in the playoffs. So, yeah when it matters in the postseason, Marner doesn’t rise to the occasion. 

27 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Are they finally going to try to make a more balanced roster? Or are they just going to use that cap space on another forward?

its Treliving, he'll try for the biggest plugs he can find.

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, they aren’t re-signing him, and he constantly avoided contact in the playoffs. So, yeah when it matters in the postseason, Marner doesn’t rise to the occasion. 

If Marner put up 14 points in 11 games for Vancouver this year (like he did last year), he would have led our entire team in points while playing a key role on the PK.  I'd say that's rising to the occasion.  Not every player in this league needs to play physical to be effective.

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, HKSR said:

If Marner put up 14 points in 11 games for Vancouver this year (like he did last year), he would have led our entire team in points while playing a key role on the PK.  I'd say that's rising to the occasion.  Not every player in this league needs to play physical to be effective.

Not to be physical, but not to shy away from contact which is what he did. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

its Treliving, he'll try for the biggest plugs he can find.

If Marner does get traded with no retention, then the Leafs can completely rebuild their D core if they wanted.  They could realistically add a pair of legit top 4 D like Roy and Tanev with that money. 

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Not to be physical, but not to shy away from contact which is what he did. 

I think it's blown out of proportion.  He's gonna leave that Leafs team and flourish somewhere else.  Then people will be touting how he is one of the best 2-way wingers in the game. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think he'll be happy to flee, tbh. I can see LA going for this. 

Not according to Lebrun: 

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/latest-news/report-preference-from-mitch-marners-camp-to-start-season-with-maple-leafs-john-tavares-doesnt-want-to-go-anywhere#:~:text=The preference from the Marner,the future holds for Marner.

“As I wrote a few weeks ago, the Marner camp, led by agent Darren Ferris isn’t putting together a list of teams for a potential trade. The focus for Marner, who has a full no-move clause, is on honoring the remaining year of his contract and seeing where things go from there," LeBrun wrote.

"That also means I don’t think there’s an appetite to talk extension come July 1. The preference from the Marner camp is to start the season and see how things go. Perhaps there are talks on an extension eventually, but I don’t believe there’s a strong desire to get into them this summer."

1 minute ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Marner walking to UFA and Toronto losing him for nothing would be my favourite of all possible outcomes 

Dog Hbo GIF by The Righteous Gemstones

I would love that too haha

Edited by R3aL
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not according to Lebrun: 

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/latest-news/report-preference-from-mitch-marners-camp-to-start-season-with-maple-leafs-john-tavares-doesnt-want-to-go-anywhere#:~:text=The preference from the Marner,the future holds for Marner.

“As I wrote a few weeks ago, the Marner camp, led by agent Darren Ferris isn’t putting together a list of teams for a potential trade. The focus for Marner, who has a full no-move clause, is on honoring the remaining year of his contract and seeing where things go from there," LeBrun wrote.

"That also means I don’t think there’s an appetite to talk extension come July 1. The preference from the Marner camp is to start the season and see how things go. Perhaps there are talks on an extension eventually, but I don’t believe there’s a strong desire to get into them this summer."

1 minute ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

Marner walking to UFA and Toronto losing him for nothing would be my favourite of all possible outcomes 

Personally I think there's a good chance that happens.  Not many contenders would be willing to take on $10M+ in cap, and pay assets to do so.  Marner isn't gonna leave Toronto to go to a bottom feeder either.  He's 27yo.  These will be his prime years coming up.

• Like 1

I'll spitball a bit with a few different teams

To Toronto

Zegras

Zellweger or Gaucher

To Anaheim

Marner (extension in place)

To Toronto

Isles 2024 1st

Leafs 2025 1st

To Chicago 

To Toronto

Saros (extension in place)

Rights to Carrier

Molendyk

To Nashville

To Toronto

Larsson

2024 1st

Tolvanen

To Seattle

Edited by Coconuts

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, HKSR said:

He's worth about $10M, so overpaid by about $1M.

In the last year of his contract, which will lower his value more unless permission to negotiate an extension beforehand. 

Marner has a NMC.  Lowers his value some more.

Toronto will have to take whatever they can get if they wanna move him within the week (presumably to take a run at the big UFAs next week).

Can't see any contender being interested unless Toronto retains $1M.

I think CHI would be really interested, and probably Utah as well.  But that's where the NMC kicks in.  Marner can refuse to go anywhere. 

Will be very interesting to see how this turns out.

Would you?

Marner to Vancouver

Mikheyev to Toronto

I wouldn’t touch Marner. The Leafs should try and move him for picks and prospects. They could then use the $11 million in cap space to try and fix their defence. Next summer they can use the Tavares money, another $11 million, to get more forward help. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'll spitball a bit with a few different teams

To Toronto

Zegras

Zellweger or Gaucher

To Anaheim

To Toronto

Isles 2024 1st

Leafs 2025 1st

To Chicago 

To Toronto

Saros (extension in place)

Rights to Carrier

Molendyk

To Nashville

To Toronto

Larsson

2024 1st

Tolvanen

To Seattle

I could see some interest from Marner to goto Nashville or Seattle.  Can't see him being too interested going to Anaheim though.  Chicago will be the next destination of choice if Bedard kicks it up another couple gears.  Everybody and their dog will want to play with him.