[RUMOUR] Leafs have NO interest in extending Mitch Marner, possible trade this week

16 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

yeah this is my thinking as well

guy is 27, elite talent, his next contract will only take him to age 35. thats very attractive compared to signing a ufa like guentzel. 

2x 1sts or equivalents will be the price imo. 

If we could get MM (extension in place) for the equivalent of two firsts it’s a great deal for us. MM is the Leafs’ best player. 

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

He's worth about $10M, so overpaid by about $1M.

In the last year of his contract, which will lower his value more unless permission to negotiate an extension beforehand. 

Marner has a NMC.  Lowers his value some more.

Toronto will have to take whatever they can get if they wanna move him within the week (presumably to take a run at the big UFAs next week).

Can't see any contender being interested unless Toronto retains $1M.

I think CHI would be really interested, and probably Utah as well.  But that's where the NMC kicks in.  Marner can refuse to go anywhere. 

Will be very interesting to see how this turns out.

Would you?

Marner to Vancouver

Mikheyev to Toronto

Saves $6M in cap for Toronto while they receive a guy they're familiar with back in the fold.

Vancouver dumps Mik, and gains Marner at an ugly $10.9M cap hit... but for only 1 year...

In a heart beat... 1 year, if it doesn't work problem solved for recap penalty... 

5 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Maybe for fantasy hockey, but not much else.

obviously they don’t exist in a vacuum… but at the same price/contract length I’d take Marner personally. 

the fact he’s at 11 a year and will probably want something similar moving forward makes that a little harder decision. 

3 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

obviously they don’t exist in a vacuum… but at the same price/contract length I’d take Marner personally. 

the fact he’s at 11 a year and will probably want something similar moving forward makes that a little harder decision. 

marner will snag you 10 or 20 extra apples during regular season but guentzel will put up more goals and will show up when it counts. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Marner is only 27 though.  He probably has 6 years of excellent hockey in front of him. 

I'm of the minority where I think Huberdeau is gonna bounce back.  Maybe not the 100+ point performer of the past, but certainly 85 to 95 points.

Yeah Weegar is a fantastic defenceman.  Well worth the cost. 

Maybe, but I just don't think the Flames should move premium assets for him. I guess it boils down to what the cost is, but I reckon they'd be better off taking their shots at the draft and being more patient imo. There will be forwards out there that they can sign, they do have the bones of a team that could be competitive as is, although goaltending is a question mark now. 

I wouldn't be shocked if he did, I think the Flames would need to play to his strengths offensively though. Clearly whatever was going on in Florida benefitted his numbers, and the talent is there. 

They have two very good D in Weegar and Andersson, the latter of which they should be extending asap. Bahl is a good get too. Their D will need some more work, but there will be no shortage of D available this offseason and they have cap to spend.

Marner will likely want a raise on his almost 11M, any team that acquires him will need to be willing to pay. After handing out a similar contract to Huberdeau I question whether they Flames will want to throw around another such sum at a forward. 

38 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Maybe for fantasy hockey, but not much else.

Oh I get it, playoff no show with 50 points in 57 games.  While Guenztel is playoff world beater with 67 points in 69 games. 

• Cheers 1

Well, if Marner is a fit for Perey(I don’t know) it might be a thing to trade Mikhejev and Silovs(or Demko) and they take 2 or 3 mill of Marners salary.

Then we don’t have to bother about Lindholm and wich of Silovs and Demko is the best going forward capwise.

But only if Marner is the ingnition for Petey.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

He's worth about $10M, so overpaid by about $1M.

In the last year of his contract, which will lower his value more unless permission to negotiate an extension beforehand. 

Marner has a NMC.  Lowers his value some more.

Toronto will have to take whatever they can get if they wanna move him within the week (presumably to take a run at the big UFAs next week).

Can't see any contender being interested unless Toronto retains $1M.

I think CHI would be really interested, and probably Utah as well.  But that's where the NMC kicks in.  Marner can refuse to go anywhere. 

Will be very interesting to see how this turns out.

Would you?

Marner to Vancouver

Mikheyev to Toronto

Saves $6M in cap for Toronto while they receive a guy they're familiar with back in the fold.

Vancouver dumps Mik, and gains Marner at an ugly $10.9M cap hit... but for only 1 year...

absolutely i would do this

it's 1 year commitment

38 minutes ago, tas said:

marner will snag you 10 or 20 extra apples during regular season but guentzel will put up more goals and will show up when it counts. 

other than this playoff run

Marner has overall been one of their better playoff performers

2 minutes ago, bh90 said:

other than this playoff run

Marner has overall been one of their better playoff performers

0.34 goals per game regular season, 0.19 goals per game playoffs. 1.1 points per game regular season, 0.88 points per game playoffs. 

maybe thats why they can't make it out of the first round?

If I elaborate… We got two good goalies in Silovs and Tolopilo.Tolopilo is big, 6,6., much to work with.

If we steady the D one more year and get a player that moves Peteys line to elite.

Demko is so damn good that he can lure the Leafs i to something stupid.

So what is the most stupid move for the Leafs to make letting Marner go and get Demko instead? 

22 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

tampering has lost all meaning 

Context. There was no tampering in that interview. 

edit: the tweet definitely makes it sound like there was… shocking someone would misrepresent something like that 😅

Edited by Dizzle
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Gurn said:

Marner is not a free agent- so none of the general chat by Trotz can even come close to tampering.

I didn’t listen to Trotz. But did he mention Marner’s name as a player he was interested in, like the Tweet suggests? Marner is under contract to another club.