[RUMOUR] Leafs have NO interest in extending Mitch Marner, possible trade this week

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I could see some interest from Marner to goto Nashville or Seattle.  Can't see him being too interested going to Anaheim though.  Chicago will be the next destination of choice if Bedard kicks it up another couple gears.  Everybody and their dog will want to play with him.

I'd be a little surprised if he opted for Anaheim too, but they're one of the few teams who could pay up a good price while taking on his entire cap hit. 

Saros to Toronto makes a lot of sense, but they opted to sign Woll. Thing is, given the number of teams looking for a tender they could probably just flip Woll. Optics wouldn't be great, sure, but Saros is one of the better tenders in the league. Nashville's also got some pretty solid prospects. 

Seattle's an interesting case, they'd probably be moving out actual salary pieces imo. Larsson's older but he's a player Toronto should have interest in, I think moving out found money in Tolvanen would make a lot of sense for Seattle too. Their pick is the 8OA. Honestly, that might be a bit much for Marner, they'd be wise to try and send out next year's pick. But maybe it'd be fair value, hard to say how much value that pick holds. 

But yeah, I could absolutely see Marner in Seattle, they could be competitive again next season with some tinkering. 

Edited by Coconuts

Hmmm... what about Calgary?  They have a bazillion assets to throw at Marner, and Marner could absolutely help them immediately. 

Calgary has $23M in cap space with 12 forwards, 6 defencemen, and 1 goalie signed.  They can absolutely afford to add Marner, then shop for a solid UFA defenceman like Pesce or Roy and be set to make a solid run for a playoff position next year.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I'd be a little surprised if he opted for Anaheim too, but they're one of the few teams who could pay up a good price while taking on his entire cap hit. 

Saros to Toronto makes a lot of sense, but they opted to sign Woll. Thing is, given the number of teams looking for a tender they could probably just flip Woll. Optics wouldn't be great, sure, but Saros is one of the better tenders in the league. Nashville's also got some pretty solid prospects. 

Seattle's an interesting case, they'd probably be moving out actual salary pieces imo. Larsson's older but he's a player Toronto should have interest in, I think moving out found money in Tolvanen would make a lot of sense for Seattle too. Their pick is the 8OA. Honestly, that might be a bit much for Marner, they'd be wise to try and send out next year's pick. 

But yeah, I could absolutely see Marner in Seattle, they could be competitive again next season with some tinkering. 

See above... Calgary.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Hmmm... what about Calgary?  They have a bazillion assets to throw at Marner, and Marner could absolutely help them immediately. 

Calgary has $23M in cap space with 12 forwards, 6 defencemen, and 1 goalie signed.  They can absolutely afford to add Marner, then shop for a solid UFA defenceman like Pesce or Roy and be set to make a solid run for a playoff position next year.

I think that'd be a mistake for Calgary, they'd be better off staying the course. Hard to see them wanting to help out Treliving as well, I don't envision they'll be doing a ton of work with the Leafs. 

Edited by Coconuts

Not sure who would want him.

Maybe Vegas or Nashville. I think Nashville needs a center much more than a winger though.

Maybe a team in the East like the Islanders. 

If Carolina wasn't in their own cap hell, I would suggest Necas and a sign and trade with Pesce.

It all depends on what the Leafs want or think they can get for him. If it's not too high, Chicago might look to add as well.

17 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think that'd be a mistake for Calgary, they'd be better off staying the course. Hard to see them wanting to help out Treliving as well, I don't envision they'll be doing a ton of work with the Leafs. 

I don't think Calgary has a choice unless they can unload Huberdeau, Kadri, AND Weegar.  They're all locked in long term.  I feel like they're kinda like the NYI of the West.  Older guys locked in as their core. 

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I don't think Calgary has a choice unless they can unload Huberdeau, Kadri, AND Weegar.  They're all locked in long term.  I feel like they're kinda like the NYI of the West.  Older guys locked in as their core. 

I think Calgary's just going to have to live with those deals as they build up their youth, they've got a bushel full of picks and still have some solid talent on their roster 

I think they will try and be competitive, but I don't think they'll be looking to give up futures for players who aren't on the younger side, they can't rebuild with those contracts but they can certainly try to retool

To his credit, Kadri may actually end up being solid value for most of his deal if he can keep it up

They could probably get positive value back for Weegar too if they traded him sooner than later, assuming his play continues to hold up 

Huberdeau is the tricky one, I don't think anyone saw his drop off coming, and I'm not convinced the talent isn't still there 

What they may have to do is look back on what kind of offensive schemes he thrived under and adjust their approach to offense a bit, but regardless of what they do nobody's taking that contract from them 

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think Calgary's just going to have to live with those deals as they build up their youth, they've got a bushel full of picks and still have some solid talent on their roster 

I think they will try and be competitive, but I don't think they'll be looking to give up futures for players who aren't on the younger side, they can't rebuild with those contracts but they can certainly try to retool

To his credit, Kadri may actually end up being solid value for most of his deal if he can keep it up

They could probably get positive value back for Weegar too if they traded him sooner than later, assuming his play continues to hold up 

Huberdeau is the tricky one, I don't think anyone saw his drop off coming, and I'm not convinced the talent isn't still there 

What they may have to do is look back on what kind of offensive schemes he thrived under and adjust their approach to offense a bit, but regardless of what they do nobody's taking that contract from them 

Marner is only 27 though.  He probably has 6 years of excellent hockey in front of him. 

I'm of the minority where I think Huberdeau is gonna bounce back.  Maybe not the 100+ point performer of the past, but certainly 85 to 95 points.

Yeah Weegar is a fantastic defenceman.  Well worth the cost. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

He's worth about $10M, so overpaid by about $1M.

In the last year of his contract, which will lower his value more unless permission to negotiate an extension beforehand. 

Marner has a NMC.  Lowers his value some more.

Toronto will have to take whatever they can get if they wanna move him within the week (presumably to take a run at the big UFAs next week).

Can't see any contender being interested unless Toronto retains $1M.

I think CHI would be really interested, and probably Utah as well.  But that's where the NMC kicks in.  Marner can refuse to go anywhere. 

Will be very interesting to see how this turns out.

Would you?

Marner to Vancouver

Mikheyev to Toronto

Saves $6M in cap for Toronto while they receive a guy they're familiar with back in the fold.

Vancouver dumps Mik, and gains Marner at an ugly $10.9M cap hit... but for only 1 year...

Bro. It’s gonna take a lot to land Marner. He isn’t a Cap dump like you make him out to be. TO will want at least a first or high end prospect. Mik is not gonna cut it, lol

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

Bro. It’s gonna take a lot to land Marner. He isn’t a Cap dump like you make him out to be. TO will want at least a first or high end prospect. Mik is not gonna cut it, lol

Maybe not Mikheyev, but Marner's value is a lot lower than you might think.

He's basically an $11M albatross of a contract that most teams can't afford.

Based on his production, he's overpaid by about $1M.  Some might argue a bit more than that.

He has a NMC, so he can dictate where he wants to go.

He's on the last year of his deal and then becomes a UFA, so unless a team can have permission to negotiate an extension, it's a massive risk for them to trade for him.

That's a LOT going against his value. 

Is this legit? Dreger vs Seravalli in a hot gossip slap fight?

Most recent speculation from Dreger was that Treliving was looking to extend him and they are currently negotiating it:

Marner: “If there is a deal, there’s a good chance it will be this week”

Auteur: cbrown

Darren Dreger surprised everyone last week.

He said he thought Brad Treliving would rather extend Mitch Marner’s contract than trade him…

And today, Frank Seravalli says the opposite.

Seravalli, who was on the radio this morning (SN590), confided that the Leafs are simply not interested (under any circumstances) in offering the NHL’s star forward a contract extension.

The tipster went on to say that if a deal does happen, there’s a good chance it will happen this week:

Who’s telling the truth?

We’ll have the answer to that question in the next few days.

But Seravalli’s hypothesis is a little illogical because on July 1, the Leafs will have to pay Marner a bonus of $7.25 million.

That said, it would be easier for Brad Treliving to trade him afterwards.At the very least, it would facilitate discussions with the various teams involved in the deal. It remains to be seen whether Darren Dreger or Frank Seravalli will prevail in the coming days.

On the other hand, the whole story is starting to get heavy, and that’s why, in my opinion, the Leafs have no choice but to trade the man who scored 85 points in 69 games last season.

We can’t afford to start the next campaign with distractions in the Leafs’ dressing room… And even if Treliving decides to keep Marner and offer him a new long-term contract, that’s what’s going to happen because all eyes will be on the forward’s situation.

Especially in an intense market like Toronto’s.

https://dose.ca/2024/06/24/marner-if-there-is-a-deal-theres-a-good-chance-it-will-be-this-week

Good player in my view, the problem is they overpaid him with his current contract. I think for this trade to work, the trading team would need an extension in place at a lower AAV (not sure if that is even possible).

I would love to see him beside Miller or EP, just not at his current cap hit.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Are they finally going to try to make a more balanced roster? Or are they just going to use that cap space on another forward?

They'll overpay for a declining Pesce and he'll become their media/fanbase's next Gardiner.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Cheers 2

If Vegas is down a forward and looking for a playoff push, I could see them do Hill + Theodore (both pending UFAs) for him.  
Vegas would take on $800k and can really stack up their forwards if they want to send someone else out (like they often do) and both Adin and Shea would add depth to Toronto whereas they could run with Logan Thompson in net, and Hanifin has probably taken Shea's roster spot with his extension.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

If Marner does get traded with no retention, then the Leafs can completely rebuild their D core if they wanted.  They could realistically add a pair of legit top 4 D like Roy and Tanev with that money. 

Weren't they interested in Zadorov?

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Not according to Lebrun: 

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/latest-news/report-preference-from-mitch-marners-camp-to-start-season-with-maple-leafs-john-tavares-doesnt-want-to-go-anywhere#:~:text=The preference from the Marner,the future holds for Marner.

“As I wrote a few weeks ago, the Marner camp, led by agent Darren Ferris isn’t putting together a list of teams for a potential trade. The focus for Marner, who has a full no-move clause, is on honoring the remaining year of his contract and seeing where things go from there," LeBrun wrote.

"That also means I don’t think there’s an appetite to talk extension come July 1. The preference from the Marner camp is to start the season and see how things go. Perhaps there are talks on an extension eventually, but I don’t believe there’s a strong desire to get into them this summer."

I think thats just posturing, he really puts all the leverage on his side with that public comment. 

If he does refuse a trade, Treliving will leak that out, and it will get very toxic for Marner in TO. 

50 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

yeah this is my thinking as well

guy is 27, elite talent, his next contract will only take him to age 35. thats very attractive compared to signing a ufa like guentzel. 

2x 1sts or equivalents will be the price imo. 

2 hours ago, Coryberg said:

I would do that in a heartbeat. I think marner is going to have a lot more value than that, the ask is probably a top 4 D and a pick.

The ask from us would start at Demko. Hard No. Maybe Mik and Silovs

7 minutes ago, CR7 said:

The ask from us would start at Demko. Hard No. Maybe Mik and Silovs

there's no deal with us that isn't a step backwards. We either lose quality players we need to fill, which is the problem TO has, or we blow the wad on all our (2) high end prospects. 

Just for one year of playoff no-show. No thanks. 

• Thanks 1