[RUMOUR] Leafs have NO interest in extending Mitch Marner, possible trade this week

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I didn’t listen to Trotz. But did he mention Marner’s name as a player he was interested in, like the Tweet suggests? Marner is under contract to another club. 

Didn't mention any names

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HKSR said:

Not sure why he is labelled as a playoff choker.  He didn't have a good playoffs this year, but the guy has 50 playoff points in 57 games including 14 points in 11 games last year.  He plays on the PK as well, and is strong defensively.

The problem in Toronto isn't Matthews, Marner, or Nylander.  It's Tavares and Reilly.

Tavares is the main issue. They gave into the hype that he wanted to go to Toronto but didn't force him to take a discount for it. They should've played hardball with knowing that Toronto was all that JT wanted. 

Why not ship Marner and his man bag off to the Yotes, er I mean the Utah no names. They have tons of picks and prospects, and lots of cap to spend. 
Utes get star power to help sell the game to the locals.

1 minute ago, PistolPete13 said:

Why not ship Marner and his man bag off to the Yotes, er I mean the Utah no names. They have tons of picks and prospects, and lots of cap to spend. 

That is the rumored destination....according to basket ball reporter Rob Reinhart. 

3 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Marner ha a gull no move clause. Would he agree to Utah? 

1 minute ago, TheButcher said:

That is the rumored destination....according to basket ball reporter Rob Reinhart. 

Wouldn’t one of the hockey insiders hear about this too and add their opinion? 

Just now, Alflives said:

Wouldn’t one of the hockey insiders hear about this too and add their opinion? 

Oh most likely! Just thought it was funny even the basketball guys are getting in on it.....

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, KesLord said:

Tavares is the main issue. They gave into the hype that he wanted to go to Toronto but didn't force him to take a discount for it. They should've played hardball with knowing that Toronto was all that JT wanted. 

Would be fitting if Marner walked as a free agent after they acquired Tavares as one.

22 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Marner is not a free agent- so none of the general chat by Trotz can even come close to tampering.

Subban wasn't a free agent when Benning got slapped with tampering too. It doesn't need to be a free agent for it to be tampering. You're not even allowed to vocalize who you might be interested in if they are under contract. It's why every GM says things like "we're looking into everything" or just vaguely mention wanting to improve the top 6 or the blueline. Etc. There are loopholes to tampering, which is why it amazes me GMs are still fumbling the ball by saying things publicly. Lol. Just "leak" shit to the media, it's not hard Trotz.

6 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Subban wasn't a free agent when Benning got slapped with tampering too. It doesn't need to be a free agent for it to be tampering. You're not even allowed to vocalize who you might be interested in if they are under contract. It's why every GM says things like "we're looking into everything" or just vaguely mention wanting to improve the top 6 or the blueline. Etc. There are loopholes to tampering, which is why it amazes me GMs are still fumbling the ball by saying things publicly. Lol. Just "leak" shit to the media, it's not hard Trotz.

The discussion was about pending free agents- and even then nobody was named.

there is no tampering here, at all.

25 minutes ago, TheButcher said:

"per source", my favourite. reminds me of hunter thompson's anecdote about the '72 campaign trail. 

That looks like fake Shitter post to me, easy speculation on Utah. 
Only a few places have the money and Utah is looking to wheel and deal. Utah is going to mess up UFA day for a few teams (maybe including us).  They have a tonne of pics and young prospects including that monster Russian right D they drafted last year. His hand was as big as Bettman’s head, good skater too apparently. They could make any trade very interesting. 
Chicago could start making stuff happen but frankly should keep weaponizing their cap for another season to add another pic near the top of the draft after this one and whatever pics they get taking on the Mik’s of the world. They probably won’t though. They will probably do what Toronto did, pull out of the build one year too early and go for a big fish.  I hope they don’t have the sense to balance their roster like Toronto didn’t. 
Nashville looks like a team that desperately needs him and Guentzel. Trade TO a re-signed Saros or Josi.

Edited by DrJockitch

1 hour ago, tas said:

0.34 goals per game regular season, 0.19 goals per game playoffs. 1.1 points per game regular season, 0.88 points per game playoffs. 

maybe thats why they can't make it out of the first round?

those are still good numbers and majority of players have a dip in per game production in playoffs vs. regular season. Not many that are the opposite over a large sample size. Even Crosby goes from 1.255 in RG to  1.117 in PO and he's a generational talent. Overall scoring per game also goes down in the playoffs as you're only playing good teams, no bottom feeders to stat-pad on.

All i'm saying is that he's been one of their better performers in the playoffs. I think there's other players plus roster construction that can blamed for Leafs not being a playoff team but, Marner has done his part. This past playoff run for him was rough but, he's a all-situational player who is PK1, PP1, and L1. He is also a +10 in the playoffs for his career.

There's many reasons why the Leafs have not been succesful in the playoffs if you ask me but, I wouldn't start by pointing the finger at Marner.

If we could swap Mikheyev for him all for the cost of his cap hit for 1-year i'd 100% do it. it'll make us a better team instantly in the reg season and playoffs

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bh90 said:

those are still good numbers and majority of players have a dip in per game production in playoffs vs. regular season. Not many that are the opposite over a large sample size. Even Crosby goes from 1.255 in RG to  1.117 in PO and he's a generational talent. Overall scoring per game also goes down in the playoffs as you're only playing good teams, no bottom feeders to stat-pad on.

All i'm saying is that he's been one of their better performers in the playoffs. I think there's other players plus roster construction that can blamed for Leafs not being a playoff team but, Marner has done his part. This past playoff run for him was rough but, he's a all-situational player who is PK1, PP1, and L1. He is also a +10 in the playoffs for his career.

There's many reasons why the Leafs have not been succesful in the playoffs if you ask me but, I wouldn't start by pointing the finger at Marner.

If we could swap Mikheyev for him all for the cost of his cap hit for 1-year i'd 100% do it. it'll make us a better team instantly in the reg season and playoffs

1 goal every 5 playoff games from an $11 mil player means your team isn't going to be good enough for him to play enough playoff games to score 2 goals most years. 

44 minutes ago, KesLord said:

agreed.

TO was desperate at the time and they predicted that contract wouldn't be an anchor. In their defense who would've predicted that Matthews and Marner would be such offensive stars so soon, they probably thought they could have them on more affordable bridge deals.

That's the issue when you have your prospects come out of nowhere and take the league by storm. Gone are the days that you don't have to pay your players until they reach UFA.

Just now, tas said:

1 goal every 5 playoff games from an $11 mil player means your team isn't going to be good enough for him to play enough playoff games to score 2 goals most years. 

it makes no sense what youre' saying ... just saying.

the guy is almost a PPG player in the playoffs. that means he's contributing to almost a goal a game.

JT Miller has 12 goals in 91 playoff games. that's a goal every 8 games. I guess we're screwed so we might as well pack in the season

13 minutes ago, bh90 said:

it makes no sense what youre' saying ... just saying.

the guy is almost a PPG player in the playoffs. that means he's contributing to almost a goal a game.

JT Miller has 12 goals in 91 playoff games. that's a goal every 8 games. I guess we're screwed so we might as well pack in the season

I feel better about the 9g in 30gp miller has in the playoffs with the canucks.  

16 minutes ago, tas said:

I feel better about the 9g in 30gp miller has in the playoffs with the canucks.  

not sure cherry picking stats is the best way to evaluate players

Marner just turned 27

JT Miller's playoff stats from age 27 season and before were 3 goals in 61 games

if you just look at numbers you can always spin them in your favour to your argument.

But i stand by if you can get rid of of Mikheyev money especially the 25-26 season commitment and pick up Marner for a +6M net gain on your cap, i think any GM would do that without second guessing.

14 minutes ago, bh90 said:

not sure cherry picking stats is the best way to evaluate players

Marner just turned 27

JT Miller's playoff stats from age 27 season and before were 3 goals in 61 games

if you just look at numbers you can always spin them in your favour to your argument.

But i stand by if you can get rid of of Mikheyev money especially the 25-26 season commitment and pick up Marner for a +6M net gain on your cap, i think any GM would do that without second guessing.

it's not really cherry picking, jt miller in vancouver is entirely different than jt miller pre-vancouver. do you see value in looking at this regular season stats from tampa and new york?

similarly, if you want to bank on marner flipping a switch the same way miller did, by all means, all the power to you. I don't see it though.