[RUMOUR] Leafs have NO interest in extending Mitch Marner, possible trade this week

32 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Except he doesn't have 1.3 ppg in the playoffs. He's done that that rate twice in 8 playoff seasons.

Even if he did score at that rate, the number of goals against (not sure how to find that) could suggest that he is a floater.

It’s not even the floating that bothers me it’s the fact he looks terrified soon as any series ever gets physical, he needs linemates that will hulk smash soon as anyone tries getting rough with him not miss matthews standing their wondering if the guy even has a pulse, which is not an ideal player to have on your team making double digits 

• ThereItIs 1

50 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Except he doesn't have 1.3 ppg in the playoffs. He's done that that rate twice in 8 playoff seasons.

Even if he did score at that rate, the number of goals against (not sure how to find that) could suggest that he is a floater.

I know career is .88ppg he’s still far from a floater. 

15 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

It’s not even the floating that bothers me it’s the fact he looks terrified soon as any series ever gets physical, he needs linemates that will hulk smash soon as anyone tries getting rough with him not miss matthews standing their wondering if the guy even has a pulse, which is not an ideal player to have on your team making double digits 

This is valid though 

51 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I know career is .88ppg he’s still far from a floater. 

It all depends... you can be a great offensive player, but if you don't backcheck, and your team is a minus when you are on the ice, then the floater tag can be deserved.

I'm not outright saying that's the case for him, as I dont watch him enough to know for sure.

I'm just saying a player can still be a floater and put up points at the same time.

1 hour ago, Captain insano said:

Hopefully this isn’t Petey moving forward. 85 South Praying GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

• Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 6/24/2024 at 6:20 PM, NoCupSyndrome said:

It will be a tough deal to design because he is a very good player but is AAV is too high and he only has one more year left until UFA. I don't see many teams giving up much unless they are very comfortable they can re-sign him at a lower AAV.

Marner taking less? Probably not. He didn’t give his hometown team a discount. If he’s going anywhere else he may ask for even more than what he’s been paid by the Leafs. I’d take him though. He’d be a great addition to the top six in terms if talent. But it’s gotta be for less. Does he profile to be a Tocchet kind of player? 

2 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Just for fun, would anyone entertain the following trade?

VAN: Marner 

TOR: Boeser, Podkolzin, 2nd round pick 

No his salary is too high and Brock is becoming a good defensive player and forechecker for alot cheaper.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Madskillz said:

No his salary is too high and Brock is becoming a good defensive player and forechecker for alot cheaper.

I like Boeser too, if we can sign him to 7.5M/year X 6-7 years that would be a good contract 

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Marner taking less? Probably not. He didn’t give his hometown team a discount. If he’s going anywhere else he may ask for even more than what he’s been paid by the Leafs. I’d take him though. He’d be a great addition to the top six in terms if talent. But it’s gotta be for less. Does he profile to be a Tocchet kind of player? 

I tend to agree that he won't take less but that just tells me that teams will likey wait until he is a UFA rather than lose a bunch of assets and pay him top dollar. Could see someone paying him eight figures if just as a UFA. TO is in a tough spot - sort of feel like they have no choice but to sign him.

• ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Just for fun, would anyone entertain the following trade?

VAN: Marner 

TOR: Boeser, Podkolzin, 2nd round pick 

To make cap sense you're looking at Boeser, and Garland.

Then what do you do next year?

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

22 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

To make cap sense you're looking at Boeser, and Garland.

Then what do you do next year?

A trade of this magnitude would require an extension in place. All this talk about Marner being traded seems so unlikely anyways 

7 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Knowing the Leafs.. they probably didnt get a big enough return and didn't pull the trigger. They have to trade him any way before TDL. 

Future Considerations didn't want to play in Toronto.....:hurhur:

• Upvote 1

The Rangers always want big splashes... I wonder if they take Trouba (with some money retained) and Kakko.

Rangers have too many D paid a lot and the Leafs still need more D.

Morgan-Trouba
OEL-Tanev
McCabe-Liljegren

That is a vastly improved D for them

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

The Rangers always want big splashes... I wonder if they take Trouba (with some money retained) and Kakko.

Rangers have too many D paid a lot and the Leafs still need more D.

Morgan-Trouba
OEL-Tanev
McCabe-Liljegren

That is a vastly improved D for them

Makes sense fit wise, but I doubt trouba waives for that. He's probably holding out for NJ or islanders so his family doesn't have to move and he's close to them. 

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Makes sense fit wise, but I doubt trouba waives for that. He's probably holding out for NJ or islanders so his family doesn't have to move and he's close to them. 

He can’t have every team on his limited no trade list.

Toronto is a lot closer and with more direct flight options than most alternatives.

Marner wants the Leafs to know he has control over whether he’s traded. He will have another big season and walk to free agency where he will get a club going 12 x 7. All the Leafs will get in return for MM leaving us cap space. 

24 minutes ago, Provost said:

He can’t have every team on his limited no trade list.

Toronto is a lot closer and with more direct flight options than most alternatives.

I think he's willing to not report.