[RUMOUR] Leafs have NO interest in extending Mitch Marner, possible trade this week

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I think he's willing to not report.

If that was the case then he could have just agreed to mutually terminate his contract and be free to sign anywhere.  The end result is the same and without the messiness and not being allowed to play anywhere while suspended.

I respect guys having other priorities, but make no mistake… he isn’t trapped and has options.  He just doesn’t like them that much. 

His contract doesn’t allow him unlimited choice   He didn’t negotiate that, and we don’t see a lot of Ian ranches of guys walking away from millions in guaranteed money

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Marner wants the Leafs to know he has control over whether he’s traded. He will have another big season and walk to free agency where he will get a club going 12 x 7. All the Leafs will get in return for MM leaving us cap space. 

Us? 

• Confused 1

On 7/11/2024 at 2:57 PM, CanuckMan said:

Just for fun, would anyone entertain the following trade?

VAN: Marner 

TOR: Boeser, Podkolzin, 2nd round pick 

Not a chance, no. 

On 7/12/2024 at 5:01 PM, Provost said:

If that was the case then he could have just agreed to mutually terminate his contract and be free to sign anywhere.  The end result is the same and without the messiness and not being allowed to play anywhere while suspended.

I respect guys having other priorities, but make no mistake… he isn’t trapped and has options.  He just doesn’t like them that much. 

His contract doesn’t allow him unlimited choice   He didn’t negotiate that, and we don’t see a lot of Ian ranches of guys walking away from millions in guaranteed money

It's a more extreme version of what Kipprusoff did when he was traded to Toronto at the end of his career.  If he's willing to give up that kind of money to stay with his family, I can't say I don't respect him for it.

28 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

It's a more extreme version of what Kipprusoff did when he was traded to Toronto at the end of his career.  If he's willing to give up that kind of money to stay with his family, I can't say I don't respect him for it.

I think it is great if he makes that decision.  Families give up a lot to support professional athletes and help that make that living.

He hasn’t done that yet, nor has he refused to move somewhere that is not on his NTC like was suggested.  Everyone has honoured the contract they signed.

On 7/14/2024 at 5:13 PM, cripplereh said:

Me guessing he either stays,

Traded to

Utah

Chicago 

NYR

NYI

NJD

Those are my thoughts.

Chicago would be an interesting move since they have 2 first and 2nd rounders.

Utah is closer to making the playoffs and have alot of cap room. And Marner would be the kind of splash they want to make in a new market.

Detriot would probably be interested as well.

• Cheers 1