[Speculation] Alexis Lafrenière Not Likely To Negotiate Extension This Summer

Alexis Lafrenière Not Likely To Negotiate Extension This Summer

June 24th, 2024 at 9:52am CST • By Josh Cybulski

Vincent Z. Mercogliano of USA Today writes that he doesn’t expect the New York Rangers and young forward Alexis Lafrenière will engage in contract extension talks this summer when the 22-year-old becomes eligible. Lafrenière is entering the second and final year of an extension that will pay him just $2.325MM next season and is reportedly content with playing out the deal and negotiating an extension next summer when he will have arbitration rights.

The Rangers are facing a major cap crunch this summer and could be in more trouble next July when a potential Igor Shesterkin extension will kick in.

A former first-overall pick in 2020, Lafrenière looked like a potential bust early in his career, producing modest offensive success in New York. However, his offensive production has improved in each season of his career, producing career highs last year in goals (28), assists (29), points (57), and games (82) played.

It’s unclear if the Rangers want to lock up Lafrenière long-term but it would make sense if they did, given that another improvement in his offensive production will surely push the AAV on his next contract up dramatically.

Lafrenière is not just an offensive player but is willing to get involved physically and has no issues with getting to the high-danger areas and being difficult to play against.

If he takes another big step next season, there is no way to tell what a long-term extension could look like for St-Eustache, Quebec native, or what kind of salary cap gymnastics the Rangers would need to play to fit him under the salary cap.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/alexis-lafreniere-not-likely-to-negotiate-extension-this-summer.html#ref=home

Betting on himself for a bigger payday. Good luck Laffy. You know Montreal is licking their chops at trying to trade for him or maybe the long shot offersheet. The Rangers had two really high draft picks, but didn't put themselves in a position to re-sign them long term if they hit their potential. Although Kakko looks like he's not gonna come close. But Lafreniere looks like he may actually become something, and they have little to no cap space to re-sign him if he breaks 30 goals and 65-70+ points.

They still have K'Andre Miller to re-sign next summer too. Kakko, Lafreniere, and Miller. At least 2 of the 3 will be seeing a sizable raise. Maybe all 3 if Kakko realizes a contract year is the perfect time to breakout. Lindgren and Schneider need contracts this year. Won't eat that entire 12mil in cap space. But will eat into it all the same. Shesterkin is a UFA next summer, so he'll probably be extended this summer and that's 8-10 mil right there.

I know it's a Lafreniere post, but I'd circle around Kakko for sure. Good size, solid two way play, 13 goals likely playing bottom 6 with guys like recently waived Goodrow. Kakko and Petey might find some real magic. And I think he'd do well under Tocchet.

I don't think it means a lot. He negotiates this summer he only has 1 season and 1 playoff performance of top 6 numbers. He's betting he can build upon last year's success and have more history of high-end production to use in contract talks. 

4 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Betting on himself for a bigger payday. Good luck Laffy. You know Montreal is licking their chops at trying to trade for him or maybe the long shot offersheet. The Rangers had two really high draft picks, but didn't put themselves in a position to re-sign them long term if they hit their potential. Although Kakko looks like he's not gonna come close. But Lafreniere looks like he may actually become something, and they have little to no cap space to re-sign him if he breaks 30 goals and 65-70+ points.

They still have K'Andre Miller to re-sign next summer too. Kakko, Lafreniere, and Miller. At least 2 of the 3 will be seeing a sizable raise. Maybe all 3 if Kakko realizes a contract year is the perfect time to breakout. Lindgren and Schneider need contracts this year. Won't eat that entire 12mil in cap space. But will eat into it all the same. Shesterkin is a UFA next summer, so he'll probably be extended this summer and that's 8-10 mil right there.

I know it's a Lafreniere post, but I'd circle around Kakko for sure. Good size, solid two way play, 13 goals likely playing bottom 6 with guys like recently waived Goodrow. Kakko and Petey might find some real magic. And I think he'd do well under Tocchet.

Belief out there is that Kakko was extended for 1 year simply as a framework for trade purposes. Imho, I don’t imagine him being a Ranger by next off season. 

I think this coming year is the breakout year for Laffy.  Rangers are gonna be a powerhouse this year, but then they better hope they win it all, because the year after will be a major shakeup of their roster.

Just now, HKSR said:

I think this coming year is the breakout year for Laffy.  Rangers are gonna be a powerhouse this year, but then they better hope they win it all, because the year after will be a major shakeup of their roster.

Troubuh-bye!

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Troubuh-bye!

Only saves them $4M these next 2 years.

Lindgren's gonna get a hefty raise.  Same with Schneider.

Then you have all 3 of Shesterkin, Lafreniere, and Miller all needing extensions next year.  Not to mention Kaako, but I think he'll be traded. 

Kakko will be traded for sure.  That Trochek cap will hurt for a year or two but not as much as the Zabinejad contract in 2 years.  Panarin is off the books in 2 seasons which is $11 million more but by then the Rags will have the new contracts of Schneider; Cuylle, Rempe, Sesterkin and Miller.

Lafreniere on even a bridge right now has a comparable contract worth $6.75 million or more.  ONLY until you take in to account the fact his 5v5 numbers are some of the best in the league point for point over the last 3 years that the league has seen since the mid 80s at which point his contract jumps significantly.

He is going to get paid for sure and he is either holding out to see how much cap space the Rags can make for him, or he is looking to cash in somewhere he wants to be based on his contract demands

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Only saves them $4M these next 2 years.

Lindgren's gonna get a hefty raise.  Same with Schneider.

Then you have all 3 of Shesterkin, Lafreniere, and Miller all needing extensions next year.  Not to mention Kaako, but I think he'll be traded. 

Yeah, I just mean eventually. Hard to see them navigating that contract given their positioning