[Speculation] NSH RW Cody Glass a cap-related trade chip?

In his latest for The Athletic, Harman Dayal listed Predators center Cody Glass as a cap-related trade chip. The sixth overall pick of the 2017 draft by the Golden Knights is now 25 years old, and his tenure with Nashville after a 2021 trade has been tumultuous. He looked like a potential long-term top-nine fixture after a breakout 2022-23 campaign but regressed to only six goals and 13 points in 41 matches during an injury-plagued 2023-24. The Winnipeg native is entering the back half of a two-year, $2.5MM AAV deal and will be an RFA with arbitration rights next summer.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/central-notes-blues-draft-plans-faksa-glass.html#ref=home

If a team has some cap space he's still a good buy low candidate. His career has been hampered by injuries but even if he doesn't improve any further $2.5M is perfectly fine for a decent 3C. He doesn't have a ton of PK experience but he's always been solid defensively, just give him some time with Manny to up his faceoff skills.

Personally I would still take Blueger at the same cap hit, but maybe we can dump Mikheyev for Glass or something.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Garland for Glass would work. We get a right shot 3C and clear 2.5 on the cap. 

I’m sure glad you ain’t GM Alf! A player underperforming on his contract for one of our players that are actually outperforming their contract, unless there is a boeser for forsberg swap in this trade I am not interested lol

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Captain insano said:

I’m sure glad you ain’t GM Alf! A player underperforming on his contract for one of our players that are actually outperforming their contract, unless there is a boeser for forsberg swap in this trade I am not interested lol

Right shot 3C with elite pedigree for Garland and we save 2.5 AAV. Got to like that. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Right shot 3C with elite pedigree for Garland and we save 2.5 AAV. Got to like that. 

Cody Glass is a giant bustaroo, hes 25 now, and its debateable whether he belongs in the NHL at all, certainly not at 2.5 million

hes not a trade chip, hes a cap dump they need to make

Glass + 2nd for future considerations

• Cheers 1

Frankly I'm not sure what Nashville's plans may be -- they sold veterans but also brought in Zucker and Beauvillier for a playoff push, and now their big guns still have term while the middle guys are expiring, but there's also rumors they may trade Saros and run with Askarov so I wonder if they'll go young or want to retool and shed their middling guys?  IF they would (and if we want to move on from Mikheyev and if Podkolzin has no place here) I would like to see 65 and 92 get traded for Glass and Fabbro (both on expiring deals).  The cap is about the same but they get an extra year, so we may need to sweeten the pot but we get the two Canadians for a trial run in positions of need (RH C and RHD), and if they don't work out then oh well, we get freed up cap.  Mikheyev and Podkolzin probably fit the north-south, two-way game that the Predators play so perhaps with a 3rd from us they would do it?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Running out of runway to find his potential.  Mittelstadt found his at 24yo. 

I think we already know who he is. He could still improve but he's looking like he will at least be a bottom 6 NHL'er. 

Imagine if Canucks get Glass. Glass + Pettersson everyone will finally be happy 🤩

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I think we already know who he is. He could still improve but he's looking like he will at least be a bottom 6 NHL'er. 

Imagine if Canucks get Glass. Glass + Pettersson everyone will finally be happy 🤩

sorry, but just had to for old time’s sake…

image.jpeg.b12ba041178274b4e5d1d066fedd210f.jpeg

Or would it be a case of GMJB outGMing GMPA as this was the plan allllll along?!?

image.jpeg.c1c6af22c27a28e5a81c91fc7de7c071.jpeg

Edited by RWJC
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Captain insano said:

3c option? 

Doubtful, 46% in the draws last season. Took a hair over 200 faceoffs in 41 games. Which is roughly 420ish faceoffs over 82 games. Blueger for reference took nearly 800 faceoffs in 68 games. Glass is a RWer who can take faceoffs, but mostly on his strong side. If management can move Garland, I can maybe see them bringing Blueger back and running Glass on 3rd line RW. Both are opposite handed, means they're very likely to start possessions with the puck since they can take faceoffs on either side of the ice. But our 3rd line will, on paper, be a lot worse than last year with Garland and Joshua gone. Gambling on Glass staying healthy and Podz filling Joshua's spot.

32 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Doubtful, 46% in the draws last season. Took a hair over 200 faceoffs in 41 games. Which is roughly 420ish faceoffs over 82 games. Blueger for reference took nearly 800 faceoffs in 68 games. Glass is a RWer who can take faceoffs, but mostly on his strong side. If management can move Garland, I can maybe see them bringing Blueger back and running Glass on 3rd line RW. Both are opposite handed, means they're very likely to start possessions with the puck since they can take faceoffs on either side of the ice. But our 3rd line will, on paper, be a lot worse than last year with Garland and Joshua gone. Gambling on Glass staying healthy and Podz filling Joshua's spot.

I like having 2 capable draw options especially on the 3rd line and opposite strong sides, but I agree glass really isint the answer he’s a fourth liner on a cup contender