[Signing] D Dylan DeMelo extends with Winnipeg

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/winnipeg-jets-sign-d-dylan-demelo-to-four-year-19-6m-deal-1.2139910

The Winnipeg Jets have signed defenceman Dylan DeMelo to a four-year, $19.6 million contract extension.

The deal comes just before DeMelo was slated to hit the open market as an unrestricted free agent on Monday. He will carry a cap hit of $4.9 million under the new deal.

Getting DeMelo re-signed was a a key order of business for the Jets, who still could lose centre Sean Monahan to free agency on July 1. 

DeMelo had three goals and 31 points in 82 games last season, adding one assist in five playoff games. He finished second on the team in average ice time this season at 21:43, behind only Josh Morrissey.

The 31-year-old blueliner is coming off of a four-year deal at a cap hit of $3 million. 

Drafted 179th overall by the San Jose Sharks in 2011, DeMelo has 17 goals and 144 points in 554 career games split between the Sharks, Ottawa Senators, and Jets.

Sets the price for guys like Tanev, Roy, and Pesce.  They're all within a couple years of DeMelo.  All about the same offensive production.  All are minute munchers.  All solid defensively.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Olli Juolevi said:

Solid deal for the Jets. Maybe this brings the price down on Z? Demelo's a couple years older but has more of a top 4 resume.

It'll be interesting if any of the other big name D gets signed before July 1st.  If they all fall under $5.5M, then we know Zadorov's value on the market. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Sets the price for guys like Tanev, Roy, and Pesce.  They're all within a couple years of DeMelo.  All about the same offensive production.  All are minute munchers.  All solid defensively.

I would be stoked if we could sign Roy to a deal near this number. 

Roy for around $5M would be wicked. He would be a legit perfect pairing with Hughes while freeing up Hronek to carry the puck more and increase his impact on his own pair. 

Hughes Roy

Soucy Hronek

that’s a pretty decent top 4 to me

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It'll be interesting if any of the other big name D gets signed before July 1st.  If they all fall under $5.5M, then we know Zadorov's value on the market. 

Pesce and Roy might get up into those numbers but I'd be surprised to see Tanev get more than Demelo considering his age and injury history.

Just now, HKSR said:

Assuming there hasn't been any tampering in the background, Zadorov and his agent should see this and realize he's not gonna get those massive $6M offers that media thinks he's gonna get.  DeMelo is a better all-around defenceman than Zadorov, plus he's a RHD that has played top pairing minutes (21min+) with Morrissey all season and hasn't looked out of place doing it.

it takes a player off the board for us too, so just settle out at 5aav, 6 years and get it done. 

3 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

I would be stoked if we could sign Roy to a deal near this number. 

Roy for around $5M would be wicked. He would be a legit perfect pairing with Hughes while freeing up Hronek to carry the puck more and increase his impact on his own pair. 

Hughes Roy

Soucy Hronek

that’s a pretty decent top 4 to me

That's the thing.  If Zadorov is pricing himself that high, we're much better off spending that money on a top 4 RHD.  It balances our D pairings a lot better. 

2 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

Pesce and Roy might get up into those numbers but I'd be surprised to see Tanev get more than Demelo considering his age and injury history.

Yeah I could see Pesce or Roy hitting the mid $5M range, but as I mentioned above, I'm sure PA/JR have a line in the sand because at a certain point, that money would be better spent on a top 4 RHD than another LHD when we already have Hughes and Soucy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

it takes a player off the board for us too, so just settle out at 5aav, 6 years and get it done. 

I'd be worried that contract plays out like Myers. Pretty similar players except a little more chaos from #57. Same age, overly big defenders who can "skate well for their size". Both prone to defensive lapses and inconsistency. Far less big minutes from Z, who has a better nose for the net, but worse offence overall. Not as strong on the PK though and takes bad penalties. Add some crushing hits which are nice but is that worth $5 mil +? ... not in my books.

23 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'd be worried that contract plays out like Myers. Pretty similar players except a little more chaos from #57. Same age, overly big defenders who can "skate well for their size". Both prone to defensive lapses and inconsistency. Far less big minutes from Z, who has a better nose for the net, but worse offence overall. Not as strong on the PK though and takes bad penalties. Add some crushing hits which are nice but is that worth $5 mil +? ... not in my books.

I really like the intangible fear part though, you know those big hits matter.

I see what you're saying but I don't mind overpaying a bit to not be smurfy. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I really like the intangible fear part though, you know those big hits matter.

I see what you're saying but I don't mind overpaying a bit to not be smurfy. 

FLA and EDM defence cores were not that mean at all.  Just effective defensively and quick with transition.  I like what Zadorov brings as he is a good puck rusher too, but we should NEVER overpay anybody.  That's a surefire way to build a team that won't be able to compete with the best. 

• Cheers 1