[Signing] D Dylan DeMelo extends with Winnipeg

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

4.5, 5.5. Man, don't care. Just a must signing either way.

I still maintain you can't be paying a 4/5 defenceman over 5. I get it though, I want him back too. 

Edited by Dizzle

It is interesting how D is the really the premium and most hard to find player, but the equivalent of a top six D just doesn’t command the same dollars as a top four D.

Spending $9-10 million on a couple of these solid veteran D (like Zadorov and Tanev) seems like it would provide more value than a couple of $5 million wingers for the same cap dollars.

I believe much of the improvement for the team was the revamped defence last year.  Those bodies turned us from a bottom feeder to a top ten team.

The markets get set pretty quickly and dominoes fall.  This should be a comparable contract to Zadorov.  Maybe add an extra year or two of term to it to keep the AAV down under $5 million.  It all depends on if he really wants to stay.  He seems like a guy that thrives in the limelight so being in Toronto may appeal to him.  If they trade Marner and reallocate that cap to some defence (like the same Tanev and Zadorov we want to get)… they suddenly look much more formidable in the playoffs.  Imagine the hero he would be in Toronto if he played as well in the playoffs there as he did here?  There would be statues if they went to the finals

Edited by Provost

2 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

I still maintain you can't be paying a 4/5 defenceman over 5. I get it though, I want him back too. 

On paper, yes I agree. But the intangibles are worth the overpayment imho.