[Proposal] Canucks do what it takes to acquire Tarasenko

He's the ticket to winning a cup, that's my argument.

Tarasenko played for St. Louis when they won their first Cup, and he plays for Florida who has now won their first cup. If he hits free agency we've gotta sign him. 

• Cheers 1

We had Kuzmenko..what is the difference?  I would have preferred to have one sniper on the team even though he did not engage physically...Kessel or Tarasenko would not have been any different than Kuzmenko....you need one of those guys on the team even though they will not engage that way imho.

1 hour ago, Scott72 said:

I would be all up for it. For me it would be between Tarasenko & Toffoli to play on RW along side Petey. Whoever comes at a cheaper price tag would be good. 

Tarasenko all day over Slowfoli. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

last skilled forward available now.

how much he wants ?

if Edmonton can sign Skinner for 3M without any cap space, we could sign Tarasenko aroud 4M maybe ?

10 hours ago, DexM94 said:

last skilled forward available now.

how much he wants ?

if Edmonton can sign Skinner for 3M without any cap space, we could sign Tarasenko aroud 4M maybe ?

There's also Sprong.  Those 2 are the best skilled forwards left.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

There's also Sprong.  Those 2 are the best skilled forwards left.

what concerns me with Sprong is the work ethic part, is he actually going to fit Tocc's system, or would he be a defensive floater?

On 6/25/2024 at 10:37 AM, Coconuts said:

He's the ticket to winning a cup, that's my argument.

Tarasenko played for St. Louis when they won their first Cup, and he plays for Florida who has now won their first cup. If he hits free agency we've gotta sign him. 

So... this means for sure moving Garly. We could probably do that for free given how much cap is left with teams like ANA and CHI. 

With the new look F's coming in, we can certainly afford to move off Garly now too.

So, Garly to ANA for future considerations or a mid-round pick, somewhere between those two extremes, Tarasenko in as a UFA 1 year 5 mil?

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

So... this means for sure moving Garly. We could probably do that for free given how much cap is left with teams like ANA and CHI. 

With the new look F's coming in, we can certainly afford to move off Garly now too.

So, Garly to ANA for future considerations or a mid-round pick, somewhere between those two extremes, Tarasenko in as a UFA 1 year 5 mil?

Garland is a tricky one, because he really does help drive that third line. But maybe? 

I was reading earlier that Pittsburgh supposedly made an offer and they've got just over 4M in cap space. Surely we could be more appealing than Pittsburgh? 

I suppose the question then boils down to whether Tarasenko is an upgrade on Garland. Not as a player, but in regards to how the roster is going to be built. Tarasenko has a better track record of top six production, and would probs fit alright in the top six. 

Might be worth seeing whether Sprong would be open to taking a pay cut for a bigger role. Put him with a couple more defensive savvy players in Pettersson and DeBrusk and who knows.

Edited by Coconuts

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

what concerns me with Sprong is the work ethic part, is he actually going to fit Tocc's system, or would he be a defensive floater?

From what I've read on him, he's a hard worker.  He just doesn't have natural defensive instincts.  Tocchet could probably get his game in the right direction.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Garland is a tricky one, because he really does help drive that third line. But maybe? 

I was reading earlier that Pittsburgh supposedly made an offer and they've got just over 4M in cap space. Surely we could be more appealing than Pittsburgh? 

I suppose the question then boils down to whether Tarasenko is an upgrade on Garland. Not as a player, but in regards to how the roster is going to be built. Tarasenko has a better track record of top six production, and would probs fit alright in the top six. 

Might be worth seeing whether Sprong would be open to taking a pay cut for a bigger role. Put him with a couple more defensive savvy players in Pettersson and DeBrusk and who knows.

I guess with sprong you're looking at 12 min per night but he needs to be on our top line, not sure there's a fit there under Tocc. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I guess with sprong you're looking at 12 min per night but he needs to be on our top line, not sure there's a fit there under Tocc. 

I don't think that's the end of the world though, bring in Sprong to play with two of Joshua, Blueger, and Heinen and we could even bump Garland up. 

Garland with Pettersson and DeBrusk for example. 

I think Sprong is much likelier to be affordable as is than Tarasenko.

Just now, Coconuts said:

I don't think that's the end of the world though, bring in Sprong to play with two of Joshua, Blueger, and Heinen and we could even bump Garland up. 

Sprong is very skilled and speedy.  Would bring some nice speed to our top 6.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

But isn't sprong bad at defence?

Seems to me like top 6 or nuttin.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

For sure. I wouldn't be upset about it at all as a cheap experiment.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Sprong is very skilled and speedy.  Would bring some nice speed to our top 6.

Agreed, and given our cap space I don't think we can be too picky. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

But isn't sprong bad at defence?

Seems to me like top 6 or nuttin.

For sure. I wouldn't be upset about it at all as a cheap experiment.

I think he tries, doesn't mean he's good at it. But considering our lack of cap space anyone we bring in is probably going to have holes in their game somewhere. I think we could afford to have one of those players in Sprong, and just see what the coaching staff can do. 

I think the key is not having too many liabilities, but we also need guys who can produce. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Agreed, and given our cap space I don't think we can be too picky. 

I think he tries, doesn't mean he's good at it. But considering our lack of cap space anyone we bring in is probably going to have holes in their game somewhere. I think we could afford to have one of those players in Sprong, and just see what the coaching staff can do. 

I think the key is not having too many liabilities, but we also need guys who can produce. 

He took 2 mil last year.. maybe try for 1.5 mil x 2 years?

42 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Is it really a good idea to move off Garland now? We just locked in last years best 3rd line in the league for 2 more years at least and Garland is the motor driving that line. 

I'm not sure if Tarasenko over Garland changes much for the team. Likely a lateral move, but could even be worse since Garland has seemingly meshed very well in the current system. 

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

He took 2 mil last year.. maybe try for 1.5 mil x 2 years?

I'd be down to give him some term, stability is an incentive. He'll be 28 in March, so 2-3 years at 1.5Mish probably wouldn't be bad.  

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'd be down to give him some term, stability is an incentive. He'll be 28 in March, so 2-3 years at 1.5Mish probably wouldn't be bad.  

If management could get Sprong for that price and manage to get Tarasenko, it will be awesome. We can have 4 scoring lines. 

Tarasenko, Miller, Boeser 

DeBrusk, Pettersson, Sprong 

Heinen, Suter, Sherwood

Joshua, Bluger, Garland

Edited by Scott72
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Scott72 said:

If management could get Sprong for that price and manage to get Tarasenko, it will be awesome. We can have 4 scoring lines. 

Tarasenko, Miller, Boeser 

DeBrusk, Pettersson, Sprong 

Heinen, Suter, Sherwood

Joshua, Bluger, Garland

That looks good except, what are your plans for the young entry level players like Podkolzin, Hoglander, Karlsson, Bains, and Aman. Where do they play?  It's nice to load up the lines but I think we need to give these guys opportunities or we risk losing them on waivers

43 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

That looks good except, what are your plans for the young entry level players like Podkolzin, Hoglander, Karlsson, Bains, and Aman. Where do they play?  It's nice to load up the lines but I think we need to give these guys opportunities or we risk losing them on waivers

Podkolzin & Aman need another season in AHL. I also think Hoglander can benefit with another full season in AHL. He showed growth but needs to work on consistency. 

As for Karlsson, Bains and all, they are waiver exempt. So can be called up to the big club without having to fear about losing on waiver claim. 

31 minutes ago, Scott72 said:

Podkolzin & Aman need another season in AHL. I also think Hoglander can benefit with another full season in AHL. He showed growth but needs to work on consistency. 

As for Karlsson, Bains and all, they are waiver exempt. So can be called up to the big club without having to fear about losing on waiver claim. 

Podkolzin, Aman, and Hoglander all need to clear waivers. Are we going to trade them? Otherwise, what's the point of developing them only to lose them for nothing? Keeping a roster spot or 2 open for internal competition is important and necessary for development.

• ThereItIs 1