[Proposal] Canucks do what it takes to acquire Tarasenko

1 minute ago, fuzzy said:

Podkolzin, Aman, and Hoglander all need to clear waivers. Are we going to trade them? Otherwise, what's the point of developing them only to lose them for nothing? Keeping a roster spot or 2 open for internal competition is important and necessary for development.

I understand your point and totally get it. What I am getting at is, Podkolzin, Aman and Hoglander can benefit more playing 1 whole season in AHL while logging higher minutes than just getting bottom 6 minutes and getting 10-12 per night (if lucky). 

Management can call up guys like Karlsson, Bains and all who don't need to clear waivers for day to day stuff. But let's say if someone is out with significant time (not wishing for anyone but it's NHL anything can happen) then management could call up Podkolzin, Aman or Hoglander based on their performance in AHL. 

Podkolzin is not top 6 ready. And giving him more ice time will only help him refine his game and get his confidence up by scoring. 

Hoglander we saw with Pettersson last season. He has his moments and plays in flashes. He needs to find a way to be more consistent. He has the caliber to be the next Garland on our team. But needs to bring that intensity every game. 

Aman could benefit playing under Manny for a season. His face-off game will be better. 

4 minutes ago, Scott72 said:

I understand your point and totally get it. What I am getting at is, Podkolzin, Aman and Hoglander can benefit more playing 1 whole season in AHL while logging higher minutes than just getting bottom 6 minutes and getting 10-12 per night (if lucky). 

Management can call up guys like Karlsson, Bains and all who don't need to clear waivers for day to day stuff. But let's say if someone is out with significant time (not wishing for anyone but it's NHL anything can happen) then management could call up Podkolzin, Aman or Hoglander based on their performance in AHL. 

Podkolzin is not top 6 ready. And giving him more ice time will only help him refine his game and get his confidence up by scoring. 

Hoglander we saw with Pettersson last season. He has his moments and plays in flashes. He needs to find a way to be more consistent. He has the caliber to be the next Garland on our team. But needs to bring that intensity every game. 

Aman could benefit playing under Manny for a season. His face-off game will be better. 

I think you're missing the point that Aman, Hoglander and Podkolzin all require waivers to be assigned to Abbotsford.  There's a real chance a rebuilding team snags at least 2 of them when Vancouver tries to sneak them through waivers during training camp/pre-season 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, qwijjibo said:

I think you're missing the point that Aman, Hoglander and Podkolzin all require waivers to be assigned to Abbotsford.  There's a real chance a rebuilding team snags at least 2 of them when Vancouver tries to sneak them through waivers during training camp/pre-season 

Oh. I didn't know that they would require waiver to even start the season in Abbotsford. I was under the impression that they could be sent down to Abbotsford before finalizing the season starting roster and would only need to clear waiver if they need to be assigned to Abbotsford after a call up during the season.

My bad 😬

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Scott72 said:

Oh. I didn't know that they would require waiver to even start the season in Abbotsford. I was under the impression that they could be sent down to Abbotsford before finalizing the season starting roster and would only need to clear waiver if they need to be assigned to Abbotsford after a call up during the season.

My bad 😬

A reasonable mistake.  But no. Players that require waivers need to clear them even before the season starts in order to report to the junior team 

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, Bob Long said:

So... this means for sure moving Garly. We could probably do that for free given how much cap is left with teams like ANA and CHI. 

With the new look F's coming in, we can certainly afford to move off Garly now too.

So, Garly to ANA for future considerations or a mid-round pick, somewhere between those two extremes, Tarasenko in as a UFA 1 year 5 mil?

I'd rather keep Garland.   

10 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

There is no room for both Podz and Hogs anymore.     Allvin will certainly be looking to trade one.    

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Scott72 said:

Hoglander isn't a prospect anymore,  Podz isn't even considered one by THN (they consider him graduated).     Why would you send a guy who just scored 24 goals, most of them while playing  11-12 minutes a night.    He earned a spot in the top six.    That's a lot of goals per minute.   Legit top six, some of them were crazy skilled plays too ( breakaways).   Aman, the league has 100 of those waiting for their turn.   Can do what we want with him.   Likely he clears waivers.     Podz won't.    And if we are going to ice the best possible team, well the team will need to decide what they want more.   We will get more for Hogs.    Podz maybe we get a second back, like what we payed for Bear, also a high draft pick.   The interest won't hang around forever on these guys.   

Do we sell high on Hogs?   Or low on Podz.   Our starting lineup as is, we only have room for one of them. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Hoglander isn't a prospect anymore,  Podz isn't even considered one by THN (they consider him graduated).     Why would you send a guy who just scored 24 goals, most of them while playing  11-12 minutes a night.    He earned a spot in the top six.    That's a lot of goals per minute.   Legit top six, some of them were crazy skilled plays too ( breakaways).   Aman, the league has 100 of those waiting for their turn.   Can do what we want with him.   Likely he clears waivers.     Podz won't.    And if we are going to ice the best possible team, well the team will need to decide what they want more.   We will get more for Hogs.    Podz maybe we get a second back, like what we payed for Bear, also a high draft pick.   The interest won't hang around forever on these guys.   

Do we sell high on Hogs?   Or low on Podz.   Our starting lineup as is, we only have room for one of them. 

This dilemma is another reason to move Garland. I know I sound like a broken record...lol

10 hours ago, Scott72 said:

My bad 😬

Just as an add on to this point, with our current 23 man roster I don’t think we have any waiver exempt players.  We risk losing any of them if we try sending them down. Silovs does have one more year of waiver exemption I believe. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We have 14 forwards signed. It will be PDG or more likely Aman that goes on waivers to go down. 
Hopefully Podz really steps it up this year after his AHL time last year, we could really use a player with his attributes in the top 6. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, fuzzy said:

This dilemma is another reason to move Garland. I know I sound like a broken record...lol

Seems like only option to find room and money for Tarasenko. Not endorsing the deal, just the only one making the money needed that hasn’t been recently signed or is truly a core piece. 

Edited by DrJockitch

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

We have 14 forwards signed. It will be PDG or more likely Aman that goes on waivers to go down. 
Hopefully Podz really steps it up this year after his AHL time last year, we could really use a player with his attributes in the top 6. 

Aman likely.    Hope Podz steps it up too, his injury was very serious last season.   So can see that halted things for him.   He's got Lekkermaki breathing down his neck.   Hopefully they all work out.   It's not like Allvin has made it overly hard for them.   Podz's game has a better chance or working in the bottom six.   Hogs though, didn't do much when graduating either.    Regular season and post season.     Part of this is about replenishing our pool.     Have to consider that, even if it means those picks are used later.    Ideally Podz breaks out too. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fuzzy said:

Not going to happen.   Other fanbases love this guy.   Maybe we should too.   Time to accept what we have.    "Garland do we really need him"?.    Yes we do.    

Edited by IBatch