Hall of Fame selections (Colin Campbell can eat a bag of..)

34 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

There was baggage with Barrasso and Glenn Anderson and Fuhr and now Roenick among others.  I think Theo's story adds much more to his legacy than it takes away.

Mogilny like Barrasso was just not that well liked...but I don't care about that stuff.

Fleury is doing the same as Curt Schilling in baseball.  Both would likely be in if they could just shut up.  Mogilny putting Keenan in his place is a story I'll never get tired of, as is his defection.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Five times top 4 for the Norris, post-season All Star 4x.  That would probably do the job I think in any era.

It's not Coffey or Bourque level but not out of line with Housley, Zubov etc.

Housley had over 1200 points. 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Colin Campbell and Shea Weber? Participation medals all around.  

Weber's international resume is pretty impeccable and be was a top tier D most of his career, maybe he shouldn't be a first ballot guy but this ain't a participation medal for him

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Housley had over 1200 points. 

Yes his career numbers are way better than Weber's but his accolades and awards relative to his peers during his career are inferior.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

2 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Colin Campbell is the Conn Smythe winner for the 2011 playoffs? Or am I thinking of a different guy.

True.

As the leaked email chains showed, Campbell was very active in promoting his son's career which happened to be playing for the Bruins in 2011.

IIRC the email chain between Campbell and an on-ice official, had Colin Campbell incensed that his son was penalized.

Don't know why Colin Campbell wasn't kicked out of the NHL after the email chains were made public.

Or at the very least, removed from his job as supervisor of the on-ice officials.

It was during Campbells'watch that terms like "Game Management" came into common usage.

Don't believe that Colin Campbell belongs in the HHOF.

Apparently,even after 13 years, I am still bitter.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

A couple thoughts.   

Shea Weber is a legit first ballot HHOFer.   A top NHL D from his generation, his entire career, and like Park just had a little bit stiffer competition at the wrong times, otherwise he'd have a trophy case .. (Chara, Doughty, Karlsson) at the peak of his career (Orr, Potvin, Robinson).   Can't take that away from him, or the fact he was the better part of the Suter and then Josi pairings.  

Montreal simply doesn't make it to the final without him, and that was his swan song.    Injuries limited him in the end.   That shot.   Incredible.    Don't see anyone doing that these days do we.   Maybe Bouchard, but Weber's were harder, and he did it all the time.   IMO, he was a better defenseman, or at least on par with Doughty, that love after 2014 was hilarious, Weber could have easily scored a couple too.    Just as good in his own zone, PP, PK whatever, crunched guys, just was never on a great team, he was the star on his teams. 

As for Datsyuk.    Was part of the awkward era.    When the league no longer had as many young  stars, and the ones they had until Crosby and Ovi showed up, well, could barely keep up to Sakic,  Jagr, Alfie, Sundin and Sakic who were well into the back 9 of their careers.   The best were aging out and there wasn't much coming up really, a handful of guys .    Personally feel that Roenick was just as deserving, and he had to wait a long time, wasn't his fault he played in the golden era of star centers,  arguably wingers  and goalies too.   He was a legit star,  just had a lot more competition.   Mogilny as well.    Recentcy bias.   Wasn't easy to score in the 90's either.    The selkes ..: that's something, where's Rod Brind’amour then?    Would have sat him a year, and fixed some things.    Rod BrindAmour was doing his thing in the dead puck era, a lot of it.    

Food for thought, Kovalev had identical stats to the Sedins, played a power game like Yashin.      Sure Datsyuk could dangle, a lots of these guys could.  Selkes.   What about  BrindAmour.   Not saying Kovalev should get in, either, the door cracked a little wider though.   Bar just lowered a little more, for first year ballot guys.   

Im with @Kevin Biestra, the doors now wide open for a lot of stars that weren't really superstars, but excellent players in any era.   Bernie Nichols just might get his due.   My personal fringe guy is Osgood.   Played in the shadow of what we're considered great Detroit teams, but what he did in those back to back finals against PIT was nothing short of elite.   Would have won the Conn Smythe, was the favourite their second crack at it, and a contender with Zetterberg the one they did win.   Starters 3 finals, two cups, back-up another one.   400 wins, without a pile of SO or OTWs to pad his stats.   Same territory on the win make them tied instead column as Lundqvist but that gets lost.    20 or so less then Luongo, who's numbers are actually where Sawhucks are if you treat shoot-out wins like ties instead.    

Datsyuk for sure is HHOF worthy.   If I you pick anyone who wasn't in before the announcement, and build a cross era team, would he really be the first choice?  Get one of their criteria is how they act and community service off the ice etc.   It's why the Sedins got in right away.   And Harvey was snubbed despite being the best all-time D at the time (enjoyed his beer and didn't hide it).   Mogilny was arguably better player than anyone but Bure in our history.    Wasn't playing in an easy era.   Sedins couldn't hack it until they changed the rules.   

Datsyuk didn't crack the lineup until 23, and  breakout  after the lockout at age 27.    Sakic and Alfie, both scored over 100 points post lockout, at ages 34 and 37.    Just for perspective.   Selanne and Sundin kept doing their thing.   Zubov exploded for 71 points at age 37 too, after a decade or 50 or so points.   Dead puck era.    Jagr had a lot more goals but lost the art Ross by a few points to Thornton, and the Richard by one to Thornton's one off winger.    Also in his 30's.    Mogilny and Roenick  played the majority of their career's  in the dead puck era, which officially started in 94-95, although for years guys like Roenick, Hull and Mario were complaining about all the clutching and grabbing.    It actually took off when SJ and OTT were added.   Lemaire and Makorov made sure of it. 

I'd have a hard time picking Datsyuk before Mogilny, being a center might decide it.   Roenick was 36 when after the lockout, same as Mogilny, worn down. 

• Vintage 1

13 hours ago, Artemus said:

True.

As the leaked email chains showed, Campbell was very active in promoting his son's career which happened to be playing for the Bruins in 2011.

IIRC the email chain between Campbell and an on-ice official, had Colin Campbell incensed that his son was penalized.

Don't know why Colin Campbell wasn't kicked out of the NHL after the email chains were made public.

Or at the very least, removed from his job as supervisor of the on-ice officials.

It was during Campbells'watch that terms like "Game Management" came into common usage.

Don't believe that Colin Campbell belongs in the HHOF.

Apparently,even after 13 years, I am still bitter.

Who and how the Hell did Campbell get on that ballot?

Did he put himself on?

Or Dictator Bettman/ buddy?

I hope fans everywhere are questioning this,

.. and perhaps media are airing out some of his dirty laundry for the Hockey Gods to deal with if Karma does not.

maybe Karma is about too.

If Campbell gets in , or gets on another ballot,.  Then I firmly believe the draft lottery is rigged .

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Who and how the Hell did Campbell get on that ballot?

Did he put himself on?

Or Dictator Bettman/ buddy?

I hope fans everywhere are questioning this,

.. and perhaps media are airing out some of his dirty laundry for the Hockey Gods to deal with if Karma does not.

maybe Karma is about too.

I ask the same question, why Colin Campbell? The Hockey Hall of Shame might be an option.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

I ask the same question, why Colin Campbell? The Hockey Hall of Shame might be an option.

I think all decent journalists /writers should be calling this out and looking / airing the proof of corruption and blow up the Head office of the NHL.

He influenced officials where he should have stood back because of conflicting his interests with the Bruins.

If this was Bettmans idea ,  it just shows how stuipid he is to think that the fans of this sport are not intelligent enough to know our game .

We give it more respect than he does.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

A couple thoughts.   

Shea Weber is a legit first ballot HHOFer.   A top NHL D from his generation, his entire career, and like Park just had a little bit stiffer competition at the wrong times, otherwise he'd have a trophy case .. (Chara, Doughty, Karlsson) at the peak of his career (Orr, Potvin, Robinson).   Can't take that away from him, or the fact he was the better part of the Suter and then Josi pairings.  

Montreal simply doesn't make it to the final without him, and that was his swan song.    Injuries limited him in the end.   That shot.   Incredible.    Don't see anyone doing that these days do we.   Maybe Bouchard, but Weber's were harder, and he did it all the time.   IMO, he was a better defenseman, or at least on par with Doughty, that love after 2014 was hilarious, Weber could have easily scored a couple too.    Just as good in his own zone, PP, PK whatever, crunched guys, just was never on a great team, he was the star on his teams. 

As for Datsyuk.    Was part of the awkward era.    When the league no longer had as many young  stars, and the ones they had until Crosby and Ovi showed up, well, could barely keep up to Sakic,  Jagr, Alfie, Sundin and Sakic who were well into the back 9 of their careers.   The best were aging out and there wasn't much coming up really, a handful of guys .    Personally feel that Roenick was just as deserving, and he had to wait a long time, wasn't his fault he played in the golden era of star centers,  arguably wingers  and goalies too.   He was a legit star,  just had a lot more competition.   Mogilny as well.    Recentcy bias.   Wasn't easy to score in the 90's either.    The selkes ..: that's something, where's Rod Brind’amour then?    Would have sat him a year, and fixed some things.    Rod BrindAmour was doing his thing in the dead puck era, a lot of it.    

Food for thought, Kovalev had identical stats to the Sedins, played a power game like Yashin.      Sure Datsyuk could dangle, a lots of these guys could.  Selkes.   What about  BrindAmour.   Not saying Kovalev should get in, either, the door cracked a little wider though.   Bar just lowered a little more, for first year ballot guys.   

Im with @Kevin Biestra, the doors now wide open for a lot of stars that weren't really superstars, but excellent players in any era.   Bernie Nichols just might get his due.   My personal fringe guy is Osgood.   Played in the shadow of what we're considered great Detroit teams, but what he did in those back to back finals against PIT was nothing short of elite.   Would have won the Conn Smythe, was the favourite their second crack at it, and a contender with Zetterberg the one they did win.   Starters 3 finals, two cups, back-up another one.   400 wins, without a pile of SO or OTWs to pad his stats.   Same territory on the win make them tied instead column as Lundqvist but that gets lost.    20 or so less then Luongo, who's numbers are actually where Sawhucks are if you treat shoot-out wins like ties instead.    

Datsyuk for sure is HHOF worthy.   If I you pick anyone who wasn't in before the announcement, and build a cross era team, would he really be the first choice?  Get one of their criteria is how they act and community service off the ice etc.   It's why the Sedins got in right away.   And Harvey was snubbed despite being the best all-time D at the time (enjoyed his beer and didn't hide it).   Mogilny was arguably better player than anyone but Bure in our history.    Wasn't playing in an easy era.   Sedins couldn't hack it until they changed the rules.   

Datsyuk didn't crack the lineup until 23, and  breakout  after the lockout at age 27.    Sakic and Alfie, both scored over 100 points post lockout, at ages 34 and 37.    Just for perspective.   Selanne and Sundin kept doing their thing.   Zubov exploded for 71 points at age 37 too, after a decade or 50 or so points.   Dead puck era.    Jagr had a lot more goals but lost the art Ross by a few points to Thornton, and the Richard by one to Thornton's one off winger.    Also in his 30's.    Mogilny and Roenick  played the majority of their career's  in the dead puck era, which officially started in 94-95, although for years guys like Roenick, Hull and Mario were complaining about all the clutching and grabbing.    It actually took off when SJ and OTT were added.   Lemaire and Makorov made sure of it. 

I'd have a hard time picking Datsyuk before Mogilny, being a center might decide it.   Roenick was 36 when after the lockout, same as Mogilny, worn down.

Yeah Osgood certainly has a case.  I feel like goalies have largely been remedied after Barrasso / Vernon but I think Ron Hextall and John Ross Roach are my big two.

Then it's food for thought with Osgood, Cujo, Glenn Resch and maybe a few others.  Osgood has the Cups and the AS2...but for whatever reason Cujo still "feels" a little more like a Hall of Famer in some ways.  He was kind of like the Luongo of his day...everyone kind of knew he was a top 3 in the NHLish goalie but it was never confirmed with Cups or awards.

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah Osgood certainly has a case.  I feel like goalies have largely been remedied after Barrasso / Vernon but I think Ron Hextall and John Ross Roach are my big two.

Then it's food for thought with Osgood, Cujo, Glenn Resch and maybe a few others.  Osgood has the Cups and the AS2...but for whatever reason Cujo still "feels" a little more like a Hall of Famer in some ways.  He was kind of like the Luongo of his day...everyone kind of knew he was a top 3 in the NHLish goalie but it was never confirmed with Cups or awards.

Felt the same way until he didn't have his army of stars backing him in the late 2000's.   What he did near the end of his career is what flipped me into realizing this guy is really really good.   And not a Corey Crawford. 

• chaos 1

7 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Mogilny not being in is an absolute joke. He was 4x the player of Roenick 

Did your watch Roenick?  That's a pile of BS.   Was tough as nails, a two way player and scored a ton of goals.   At best maybe 1.1 the player. 

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Did your watch Roenick?  That's a pile of BS.   Was tough as nails, a two way player and scored a ton of goals.   At best maybe 1.1 the player. 

Mogilny is one of the best 2 way forwards to ever play honestly. What he did for those Leafs teams is so underrated. Yes I saw Roenick through his entire career. Okay 4x is a bit much but Mogilny only negative was injuries. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Mogilny is one of the best 2 way forwards to ever play honestly. What he did for those Leafs teams is so underrated. Yes I saw Roenick through his entire career. Okay 4x is a bit much but Mogilny only negative was injuries. 

Alex basically told Keenan to go f*ck himself.  That alone makes me rank him higher than JR,:

"Mogilny stories:

“(One time) we’re in the locker room and Keenan is all over him. We were like holy sh*t – normally he’s not on Mogilny like that.

“Mogilny looks up, he’s like, ‘Mike, have you ever heard of how I defected, how they f*cking threatened my family, how they wanted to kill everybody? You think you’re f*cking scaring me?’

“We were like, ‘Holy sh*t.’ It was pretty crazy. Mike didn’t know what to say – he normally gets the last word."

🤣

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Mogilny would  not kiss enough butt, to get in right away.

And the heat he got because of his 'flying phobia' was way out of bounds.

Iirc Pat Quinn called him the most talented player, he ever coached.

From an Adrian Aucoin interview

"“Mogilny looks up, he’s like, ‘Mike, have you ever heard of how I defected, how they fucking threatened my family, how they wanted to kill everybody? You think you’re fucking scaring me?’

--------------------------------

tick off the old guard and pay a price. Too bad the 'old guard' got butt hurt so badly/quickly.

-----------------------------

HHOF- same assholes that waited till Pat Burns was dead before putting him in.

• Sad 1