(Trade) Canucks have traded Mikheyev

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

We have tons of cap. The OEL last year was one thing, we really didn't have space. But we did have flexibility this year. Saying otherwise is just false. That's why we are clearly in the mix to sign the highest paid FA BEFORE this came to light.

Blow it all on the highest paid FA then what? Be screwed for more? We didn't even have enough to sign our own FA with Mikheyev on the roster. I'm happy with the trade

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Yeah, that's fair. Maybe this is just a trauma response I'm having right now. It's not like I'm pissed or anything. It just feels like we've seen this song and dance.

I agree...I will say that when trader Jim joined the Canucks we all knew his history.

I do appreciate the fact that when he makes a mistake he fix's it instead of handcuffing us for years and taking away any chance of getting better.

It's frustrating that it comes at the expense of trading away high draft picks though.

He has gotten good value in trades though IMO...He freed us up from Pearson's contact, Beauviller and got some value in return.       

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Ideally I would love to add carrier or a marino since then you could see how Hronek could move off the top pairing without it being who plays with Hughes? or give another guy a solid partner on the right side.

Soucy-Myers were playing against Mcdavid in a matchup role and did quite well though.

And Myers isn't exactly a sit back dman he needs a guy to cover him too as he takes risks. That's also why I think Soucy has been his best partner on our team.

But if we signed Z, and Carrier at the expense of Myers:

Hughes-Hronek or Hughes-Carrier

Z/Soucy-Carrier or Z/Soucy-Hronek

Soucy/Z-Juulsen/Friedman

In a pretty cool world where salary cap angels helped us get to where we want, this d group would excite me:

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Carrier

Soucy-Myers

Im just not sure if signing or acquiring a guy at the expense of Myers at an increased cost will improve our team.

I do agree if Myers can come back at 2.5m or so its kind of a no-brainer. Thats 3rd pair money, and makes it possible to fill the 2nd pair spot with someone great

Just now, Darius said:

Didn’t millstein convince Kuz to goto Calgary in a similar situation? Hopefully he can facilitate this too.. 

he will because he reps Zads and Mil$tein wants lads to be happy and get more $$$$ from Van 

Mil$tein would make several hundred of thousands if he can get Milky to go to CHI

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I agree...I will say that when trader Jim joined the Canucks we all knew his history.

I do appreciate the fact that when he makes a mistake he fix's it instead of handcuffing us for years and taking away any chance of getting better.

It's frustrating that it comes at the expense of trading away high draft picks though.

He has gotten good value in trades though IMO...He freed us up from Pearson's contact, Beauviller and got some value in return.       

JR and PA getting ready for Free Agent Frenzy…

image.gif.a4db114d34ddff4906e32d57c5652d73.gif

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Darius said:

Didn’t millstein convince Kuz to goto Calgary in a similar situation? Hopefully he can facilitate this too.. 

Chicago is a neat city. If Milstein can convince Kuzy to go to that crap heap, Chicago should be an easy sell. 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I still hope they don't sign JG.........they can add some serious depth now, if they don't 

I am fine signing him but don’t want to be in a bidding war for him.  Considering his age and the later years of a 7 year contract being tough, he is maybe worth $8 million and will get $9-10 million.

I think lots of teams will try to clear cap to sign him and a couple other top free agents (most of them will be disappointed when they don’t win the bidding). I think there is going to be value in those deals and buyouts.

Mayne JR can leverage his relationship and sign for a reasonable number.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I still hope they don't sign JG.........they can add some serious depth now, if they don't 

Need an impact player to play with Petey first and foremost.

I have no interest in overpaying for more third liners. We just paid a 2nd to get rid of one.

If you’re gonna overpay, overpay for elite talent. Guentzel is that.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, Blitz-Pix said:

And I've liked most the moves the management has made and been complimentary of the job they have done. But I'm also ok with criticism when I feel it's warranted. I felt signing Mik was a bad call the day it happened, and it has worked out that way. I think buying him out seems drastic, and I look forward to being proven wrong when they make a huge move with the cap space to improve the team.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

2nd? I’m all for it.. how many 2nd rounder have worked out for this franchise? I’m assuming it’s this years 2nd? It’s a late 2nd anyways in the 50s able to rid mikheyev and getting a player in ufa or re-signing one of our own is like hitting on a 2nd 

Some of the ones traded away which most have been have worked out for other franchises. But off the top of my head Hoglander and Demko 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That extra $1.5-2 million is going to be used for a top winger for Petey. There is only so much cap to go around. We aren’t spending that extra money on a Pesce or Roy. That’s a luxury not a necessity. We almost beat Edmonton without that luxury. Also, Zadorov will be signed and he is basically a luxury item as well, so that extra money is his as well. 

Hughes     Hronek 

Soucy       Myers 

Zadorov   Juulsen 

I have no issues with rolling with this group for next season. This defence is good enough to beat the Oilers.

I’d rather spend any extra cap on the top 6 forward group. 

With this trade, we have enough cap to sign a winger for Petey, Zadorov and an actual top 4D. If we can squeeze Myers in on the 3rd pair after that, great. But I don't expect him to take that much of a discount.

Hughes, Hronek

Zadorov, Marino/Pesce/Tanev/Carrier etc

Soucy, ____ (near league min guy)

^^^^^ way better

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I know what would it cost Hoglander? We cant sign Z sign Myers and acquire Marino I do not think if actually signing JG

I just cant imagine signing Z, adding a $4M+ dman on the right side and retaining Myers unless myers take s crazy discount.

Exactly why Myers is like the lowest priority here.

Nail down Z, go for the top 6 W and top 4 RHD, fill in from there.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

Isn't Milstein part of our front office...he must be on JR's payroll right? LOL 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, KesLord said:

If we get Guentzel, it pretty much means:

Mikeyev

lafferty

2nd

for

Guentzel

4th

Id look at it like:

HUNTER B

KUZMENKO 

1st

2nd

3rd

Mikehyev

Lafferty rights

for:

Lindholm for Playoffs

Guentzel

Zadorov

4th (which could get moved to the other side if its used to acquire JG rights early)

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

Some of the ones traded away which most have been have worked out for other franchises. But off the top of my head Hoglander and Demko 

Lind, Gadjovich, Woo, Klimovich, Rodin.

Its a crapshoot.

• Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Chicago is a neat city. If Milstein can convince Kuzy to go to that crap heap, Chicago should be an easy sell. 

Just as cold...but these are Russian players and cold isn't in their vocabulary. 

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

also makes me laugh when people praise JR / PA for this trade...like... we signed this dude as UFA 2 summers ago... trading (yet another) 2nd round pick just to offload this contract that they signed is nothing to praise 

They signed a guy with two functioning ACL's. Its not like they could predict his knee would give. Before the injury he was looking like a steal playing with petey and Kuz. Those three were lighting it up. 

After his knee injury they have identified that they can make better use of the cap space and are pulling the trigger to move him during what should be a 2 to 3 year window. That's good management. Circumstances change and managers don't have crystal balls. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

With this trade, we have enough cap to sign a winger for Petey, Zadorov and an actual top 4D. If we can squeeze Myers in on the 3rd pair after that, great. But I don't expect him to take that much of a discount.

Hughes, Hronek

Zadorov, Marino/Pesce/Tanev/Carrier etc

Soucy, ____ (near league min guy)

^^^^^ way better

Exactly why Myers is like the lowest priority here.

Nail down Z, go for the top 6 W and top 4 RHD, fill in from there.

Ya, I think the play seems to be if we can afford Myers… great.  If we get the priority signings done and can’t afford him, then Juulsen is a capable partner for Soucy with Friedman/McWard as 7-8 and some farm guys as injury call ups.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1