(Trade) Canucks have traded Mikheyev

Jim and Alvin and Toch already know where that cap space is going. It's going to be fun over the next several days watching them put their team together. I have a feeling we're going to be a very tough team to play against.

22 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

If they truly love it here take what you're worth. Somewhere around DeMelo money. DeMelo is the much better player too. Besides, we have Dillon as an option too, who I'm sure would come cheaper. Overpaying Zads is not ideal, I love him as much as everyone else, but we got to be smart about the cap. 5.5mil is too much for Zadorov given the landscape DeMelo set.

4.5m/year is my personal thought on a cap for Zadorov

For a very good 3rd pair defenseman who can slide up to the 2nd pair, thats already very high and accounts for the size premium

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, R3aL said:

TBH I dont think I can confidently say demelo is much better than Z?

Hes played with Morrissey on a really well structured team with a Vezina Winning Goalie.

Subtract his last two years and compare their careers so they are similar ages. And Big Z resume, physical attributes and ability to embrace a high pressure market and elevate in the playoffs compared to demelo who struggled in the playoffs and outside of the handedness difference and premium I don think you can say hes a clear cut much better player.

Demelo also has 17 career NHL goals 0 in playoffs and Z has 47 regular season career goals and 8 in the playoffs.

I think Z has room for growth here the next two years too.

My opinion though.

Not to be a dick, but subtract his last two years is such a weak argument. Subtract all of Zads goals and he has no goals. It's just a weird thing to do. Subtract last year and Hronek has zero seasons as a top 2 D. Therefore he's overpaid at 7.25mil. Lol. DeMelo has proven he can handle top 2 usage, which honestly is just a bigger plus for him. You don't get carried to that. Otherwise we'd have just kept Schenn and used him with Huggy. Cheap top 2 D, cap savings is insane.

Again, I love Zads. But not for 5.5mil. Did I over shoot DeMelo being much better, likely. But I'd still take DeMelo over Zads overall. Cause DeMelo would have been a perfect fit with Hughes as a 100 block and 100 hit guy, and has proven to be a reliable top pair guy. Zads at anything higher than 5mil is an overpay and not something we should do, Dillon is the perfect cheaper replacement. If we're gonna overpay a D, overpay a RHD like Pesce. Who also has proven he can handle 20+ minutes a game. Something Zads has never done. Cause at least Pesce frees up Hronek to command his own pair.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

It’s called a great trade because we clear 4 mil off the cap just before July 1. Adds bullets to the gun. 

Ever since Luongo's contract - I loathe retaining any salary.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Not to be a dick, but subtract his last two years is such a weak argument. Subtract all of Zads goals and he has no goals. It's just a weird thing to do. Subtract last year and Hronek has zero seasons as a top 2 D. Therefore he's overpaid at 7.25mil. Lol. DeMelo has proven he can handle top 2 usage, which honestly is just a bigger plus for him. You don't get carried to that. Otherwise we'd have just kept Schenn and used him with Huggy. Cheap top 2 D, cap savings is insane.

Again, I love Zads. But not for 5.5mil. Did I over shoot DeMelo being much better, likely. But I'd still take DeMelo over Zads overall. Cause DeMelo would have been a perfect fit with Hughes as a 100 block and 100 hit guy, and has proven to be a reliable top pair guy. Zads at anything higher than 5mil is an overpay and not something we should do, Dillon is the perfect cheaper replacement. If we're gonna overpay a D, overpay a RHD like Pesce. Who also has proven he can handle 20+ minutes a game. Something Zads has never done. Cause at least Pesce frees up Hronek to command his own pair.

Zadorov is younger it’s not an argument it’s a fact 

26 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Demelo's career TOI is 18:16.  Zadorov's career TOI is 18:05.  So, there isn't much of a difference there.  Demelo didn't even crack 20 minutes a night until last year when he was playing with Morrissey.  So, he's never been a top 2 Dman in his entire career up until maybe last season.  Even then, he's not anywhere near Hronek's TOI.

Demelo is a top 4 guy who can play in the top 2 with a Norris calibre Dman.  He's not anywhere near a top 2 Dman who can carry his own pairing.  He's a better Dman overall than Zadorov, but Zadorov has a few traits that Demelo doesn't have that we need.  So an overpay on Zadorov isn't really a problem.  5x6 I think is where the deal gets done.  A slight overpayment but not much...

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Demelo's career TOI is 18:16.  Zadorov's career TOI is 18:05.  So, there isn't much of a difference there.  Demelo didn't even crack 20 minutes a night until last year when he was playing with Morrissey.  So, he's never been a top 2 Dman in his entire career up until maybe last season.  Even then, he's not anywhere near Hronek's TOI.

Demelo is a top 4 guy who can play in the top 2 with a Norris calibre Dman.  He's not anywhere near a top 2 Dman who can carry his own pairing.  He's a better Dman overall than Zadorov, but Zadorov has a few traits that Demelo doesn't have that we need.  So an overpay on Zadorov isn't really a problem.  5x6 I think is where the deal gets done.  A slight overpayment but not much...

I’m personally worried about overpaying for Z but I agree with everything else 

and I still hope we do sign Z but he takes a discount to make it happen sub 5 would be great

• Cheers 2

Just now, JeremyCuddles said:

And? DeMelo is better. Just a fact.

Well that’s not really a fact, judging a player can be subjective and opinion based.

i said subtract two years to not compare goals but to compare careers at similar ages as Z is younger and it was before demelo played with morriseey regularly and I don’t know if you understood that correctly

the goals comp was career comparison (full career)

and yes RHD top 4 guy who can compliment a top pairing dman is very valuable I don’t discredit it. But I think Z at a younger age, with his traits, his personality, his goal scoring ability his potential is greater than demelo and their careers at the same point in time I don’t think saying demelo is much better is clear cut.

it’s not to me. It is to you that’s all good I’m not saying ur wrong I’m just saying I see it differently that’s all

I really hope we can work out a deal with Zadorov. I feel he want’s to stay and I’m confident they can get a deal done. So we still have enough cap to add Guentzel if we lock up Big Z?

Looking at the remaining cap, I don't think we're getting a high end top 6 forward.  CapFriendly has us at 17.5m left (inc. LTIR) and that's with 11 forwards, 5 d and 1 goalie.

Hopefully that means Zadorov can come in at 4.5m x 5/6 yrs.  13m left for another 2 forwards, back up goalie and spare d.

As much as I've been harping on Reinhart, I don't see him or JG happening.  Maybe something like 

Tarasenko 2yrs @ 5.5m per

Marino @ 4.5m 

Leaves room for Silovs, DeSmith @ 1.1m and 1.9m, respectively. 

No spare forwards but oh well lol.  PAJR must have something else up his sleeve.

38 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Dance is going off about how much of a robbery this is for the nucks.... He's beside himself as to the incompetents of the Blackhawks. 

WHO IS THIS GUY?   AND WHO STOLE JERK DRANCE?? 

The ironic part is, just a couple of months ago, Drance told Halford & Brough on the radio that Mikheyev was viewed highly around the league, and that most thought he would be much improved next season. Drance clearly said that he didn’t expect Canucks would need much of a sweetener to move him, perhaps none at all.

• ThereItIs 1

48 minutes ago, Rusty Shackleford said:

Looking at the remaining cap, I don't think we're getting a high end top 6 forward.  CapFriendly has us at 17.5m left (inc. LTIR) and that's with 11 forwards, 5 d and 1 goalie.

Hopefully that means Zadorov can come in at 4.5m x 5/6 yrs.  13m left for another 2 forwards, back up goalie and spare d.

As much as I've been harping on Reinhart, I don't see him or JG happening.  Maybe something like 

Tarasenko 2yrs @ 5.5m per

Marino @ 4.5m 

Leaves room for Silovs, DeSmith @ 1.1m and 1.9m, respectively. 

No spare forwards but oh well lol.  PAJR must have something else up his sleeve.

I dont know how Tarasenko will fit with RT's style of hockey however, I think we are doing very well capwise

17.5m is more than enough to sign Z 4.25 to 4.5m ish which leaves 13m to sign 2 more good to very good players depending on how we allocate that 13m.

If Z Signs, we'd Have Hughes, Hronek, Soucy and Z locked up with Juulsen and Friedman as the spares.

We'd ideally want them to be 7D and 8D so then we need to figure out how much to spend on our bottom 2 D (5-6D)

Do we get one good player like Marino  and pair him with a guy like Juulsen or Do we sign 2 mediocre guys like myers and a cole (or a Cole replacement)and spend the money on a really good forward?

Lots of options dpending on who wants to sign with us at a discount

clearing Mik's cap space allowed PA to have the capspace to give himself more options on how to assemble this team depending on which players want to play ball and take a little less to build a really competitive team.