(Trade) Canucks have traded Mikheyev

3 hours ago, Heretic said:

Ever since Luongo's contract - I loathe retaining any salary.  

I had to look that up and you’re right. The worst part of all that was Gillis played by the rules in the Luongo contract and we later got further slapped with a Cap circumvention penalty for 3 or 4 years. Still burns me up today when I think about it. 

Did Bettman approve that contract and warn Gillis this was coming down the pipe later if Lui retired before the contract ended? The whole thing was so malicious after it happened. 

19 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Weird. I know the Bedard factor but both teams suck. I'd rather live in SanJose than Chicago. 

Sunnier and far less crime and fecal matter on the sidewalk. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

I had to look that up and you’re right. The worst part of all that was Gillis played by the rules in the Luongo contract and we later got further slapped with a Cap circumvention penalty for 3 or 4 years. Still burns me up today when I think about it. 

Did Bettman approve that contract and warn Gillis this was coming down the pipe later if Lui retired before the contract ended? The whole thing was so malicious after it happened. 

All teams were warned in advance not to break the spirit of the CBA by making use of the loophole.  The penalty wasn't a surprise to Vancouver, they, and a handful of other teams chose to ignore the warning and take a run at the cup.  It almost worked out 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Weird. I know the Bedard factor but both teams suck. I'd rather live in SanJose than Chicago. 

the only thing the bay area has in its favour is weather, everything else is better in chicago. 

1 minute ago, qwijjibo said:

All teams were warned in advance not to break the spirit of the CBA by making use of the loophole.  The penalty wasn't a surprise to Vancouver, they, and a handful of other teams chose to ignore the warning and take a run at the cup.  It almost worked out 

Then why was the contract approved? Once approved, it's ridiculous to punish a team based on new rules after the fact.

8 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Wow, what an ass

he's an ass for exercising the right he negotiated in his contract to have a say in where he's traded?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

the only thing the bay area has in its favour is weather, everything else is better in chicago. 

Meh, depends what you like. Been to both and Cali, wineries, sunshine, no winter trump anything Chicago has to offer. 

Just now, tas said:

he's an ass for exercising the right he negotiated in his contract to have a say in where he's traded?

Considering his one goal in 60 games, yes. 

Edited by Rekker

3 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Then why was the contract approved? Once approved, it's ridiculous to punish a team based on new rules after the fact.

It was technically legal but teams were warned that it would be addressed in the new cba and there would be penalties for breaking the spirit of the cba.  

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

teams had been warned against using the loophole, but the league couldn't just up and close it. those rule changes have to be collectively bargained. in the 2013 CBA, the players and owners collectively agreed to the luongo rule, including it applying retroactively. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Meh, depends what you like. Been to both and Cali, wineries, sunshine, no winter trump anything Chicago has to offer. 

san jose is a lot more silicon valley than it is napa valley. chicago is a world class city. 

Just now, Blitz-Pix said:

Perhaps playing for an original 6 team in a hockey market appealed to him more.  

I'm thinking that their recently drafted superstar has more to do with it. Not a whole lot to work with in SJ. 

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

More murders, more cold weather, more traffic, more people. 

the first thing and the third thing come by default with the fourth thing. 

2 minutes ago, tas said:

san jose is a lot more silicon valley than it is napa valley. chicago is a world class city. 

Napa Valley is a hell of a lot closer to San Jose than Chicago. 

1 minute ago, Rekker said:

Napa Valley is a hell of a lot closer to San Jose than Chicago. 

so? how does being closer to a vacation spot benefit a hockey player during the hockey season?

chicago has better food, entertainment, nightlife, culture, etc.