(Trade) Canucks have traded Mikheyev

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'm not saying 2nds are useless, just that people tend to overvalue them like they're a sure thing.  The reality is that you have 2 busts for every guy who turns into an NHL regular.

Sure, and the best way to get top end talent is to draft it. Outside of Willander, Lekkerimaki, Raty, and maybe Pettersson there's a dearth of blue chip talent in the system.

Like I said, gonna need that ELC talent as time goes on.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Chickenspear said:

In what, 3-5 years, if at all?

This is the 90’s Toronto Maple leaf’s model of building. Do all your work on July 1st. Why even have amateur scouts? Fuck it. 

1 minute ago, nergish said:

We currently have no bad contracts on the books 🤭

F*** it, give JG his $10 mil. Make a deal for Laine. What’s going on with Mitch Marner??

Hang on, we don't have THAT much cap room.

Just now, King Heffy said:

The 2nd created almost 5 mil of free cap space to do so now though, and you'd still  have to find a way to clear that cap at the deadline.

Yup. There was talk of us buying out Mik. This is a lot better. Cleared all his cap for basically (after the pick swap) a third round cost. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, NoHeart said:

This is the 90’s Toronto Maple leaf’s model of building. Do all your work on July 1st. Why even have amateur scouts? Fuck it. 

Finding diamonds in the rough in the later rounds? Like good teams do?

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

= 14.10

we have now 21.45 in cap 

sp 7.35 to spend on silos, 1 D and 2 forwards

Joshua = 3.5

silovs .950

Brett Murray .750

Myers 2.15

= no cap left 

Joshua needs to go. You don't sign that guy to a big raise after a single 18 goal season.. after not/barely being an NHL player at 28.. and also being pretty much invisible in all but 2 playoff games. Signing him to anything over 2x2 is going to be a mistake for whatever team does it mark my words. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I never understood why they signed him in the first place. It was 5 million to play on the 3rd line.. it made 0 sense

Edited by LB28

32 minutes ago, Left Wing Nut said:

No point in trading Mik if you aren't going to sign Guentzel. I think JG is coming to Vancouver

Guentzel may have something to say about that...he's gonna have a couple options it sounds like. 

Just now, rmok said:

Joshua needs to go. You don't sign that guy to a big raise after a single 18 goal season.. after not/barely being an NHL player at 28.. and also being pretty much invisible in all but 2 playoff games. Signing him to anything over 2x2 is going to be a mistake for whatever team does it mark my words. 

Invisible? He lead the playoffs in hits well after he was golfing. 

1 minute ago, NoHeart said:

Do you know how many players the last two Cup winners had on their rosters that they drafted? Go check. It’s very interesting how clubs win now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

I have a feeling Myers gets squeezed out ?

Zads will have to shift to the right and we sign a 2 mill LD man to play with Juulsen 

Really don't like the idea of resigning big Z just to try and convert him to RD. Defensemen are almost never as good playing on their off side. I'd rather just resign Myers and keep Zadorov on his natural side. Myers should only be about 3 mill or so. 

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

For me it’s more about limiting deadline deals.

A 2nd could land us a top 4 Dman or top 6 forward to put us over the top.

It probably just landed us a top 4 D with the Big Z.......a bird in one hand is better than 2 in the bush

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Sure, and the best way to get top ene talent is to draft it. Outside of Willander, Lekkerimaki, Raty, and maybe Pettersson a dearth of blue chip talent in the system.

Like I said, gonna need that ELC talent as time goes on.

Silovs is a nice piece too.  I don't love having to do it, but everything came with a price.  I'd rather this than dead cap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LB28 said:

I never understood why we signed him in the first place. It was 5 million to play on the 3rd line.. it made 0 sense

Because we were bad, thanks to Benning (the moran) and were building for a few years out, much like why the Hawks just took him on for pretty much no cost to us. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

I have a feeling Myers gets squeezed out ?

Zads will have to shift to the right and we sign a 2 mill LD man to play with Juulsen 

The media is suggesting that he's not necessarily in the plans anymore but I would imagine it should work out.

Just now, 48MPHSlapshot said:

Really don't like the idea of resigning big Z just to try and convert him to RD. Defensemen are almost never as good playing on their off side. I'd rather just resign Myers and keep Zadorov on his natural side. Myers should only be about 3 mill or so. 

Unless there’s a clear cut upgrade on Myers in the works, I can’t imagine there’s a better deal out there, value wise, than the chaos giraffe.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, NoHeart said:

We're looking to upgrade. This is the cost of clearing a bad contract. We got a pick back, and now we can resign Zadorov, among others, so we can take the next step as a team.

2 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

It probably just landed us a top 4 D with the Big Z.......a bird in one hand is better than 2 in the bush

Tanev...

Hronek Hughes 

Zadorov tanev 

Soucey juulsen

Elite offense 

Elite defence

Very strong third pairing

One of the best d cores in the league

Edited by ronning4center
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, LB28 said:

I never understood why we signed him in the first place. It was 5 million to play on the 3rd line.. it made 0 sense

He was very good in Toronto. I wouldn’t have done it but I understand at the time why it was done. He got injured in his first year in preseason and the next was a recovery year.

We never really got see Mikheyev at his very best. I remember he used to be so fast in Toronto, injuries suck. He’s a good guy, I hope it works out well in Chicago.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Silovs is a nice piece too.  I don't love having to do it, but everything came with a price.  I'd rather this than dead cap.

He is, but playoff run or not I reckon he's more of a backup than a starter, guess we'll see how things go

And I get it, it's just frustrating, this franchise has an unfortunate track record of frittering away 2nd rounders

• Upvote 1