(Trade) Canucks have traded Mikheyev

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Sure, there are other approaches too, but we should be balancing shipping out high picks with actually using them too.

Totally agree, it’s kind of the trade off though in getting to where we are. Many attempts, many mistakes when you go through as many mgmt and coaching staff as we have in the last two decades. To be expected. At least moving forward there is a legitimate chance that our farm system will actually produce talent when we have the picks to develop there. Not so much the case previously. To me that’s at least a little encouraging 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

That's a fair point, but it's not the only way to fill out a roster. Joshua himself was a diamond in the rough that contributed well above his pay grade in his time here. That's what good pro scouting can do. 

Benning worked over the amateur draft group but his pro scouts were terrible.  Rutherford's group looks at the whole ball of wax.  Granato is AGM Pro Scouting

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

I think most people here would take winning a cup for some bum years in the future any day of the week. 

One team wins a season,  I don't think my frustration is unwarranted 

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Totally agree, it’s kind of the trade off though in getting to where we are. Many attempts, many mistakes when you go through as many mgmt and coaching staff as we have in the last two decades. To be expected. At least moving forward there is a legitimate chance that our farm system will actually produce talent when we have the picks to develop there. Not so much the case previously. To me that’s at least a little encouraging 

That's the hope, they've been putting resources into it, time will tell

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

By giving away a high-ish pick to fix their mistake? Lol. I love how much praise management is getting, they signed this bum. But hey, I am happy with the trade. Minor win from a major L.

Overall it's a net loss, but this management group gets a pretty long rope considering how they've managed to turn the franchise around in such a short period of time. 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Less than a league minimum salary. The 2nd isn't for another 3 years.

Yeah the 2nd isn’t next year helps. Didn’t see that till after I saw the retention 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Petey O said:

I'm sure he wouldn't mind a buyout. Gets all of his money from the rest of his deal and then gets to sign a fresh deal with a new team for even more money.

Who the hell would pay him more?He buggered his season.

Damn if we do and damn if we don't. We've waited enough and the window is opening, We have many players who are just entering their prime and will be here for a long time, We have JT Miller in his prime. It's GO time. We got much needed cap relief and a chance to ice a cup-winning roster.

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

712,500 retained

Win a Cup in 2025 and 2026 and no one will give a flying fuck about the retention and 2nd for a 4th ... with you though, hoped for no retention

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You're not wrong. Gillis was lousy at drafting, Benning tried but was overall underwhelming, he always traded picks to try and fast track the youth movement. 

Allvin's made a couple very good first round picks but has a track record of shipping them out. Second rounders too. My concern is they're going to keep shipping them out to get and squeeze a cup out of this window at the expense of the future.

I'd rather them balance actually balance using their picks with shipping them out. I get shipping them out to try and go deep, but use some of them too for Christ's sake.

Trading away draft picks is the equivalent of an energy drink. A temporary energy boost now, with long term side effects. 

We are planting the seeds for the next Gillis empty cupboard era. 

• Cheers 3