(Trade) Canucks have traded Mikheyev

I don’t love the retention, but we don’t look like we will have other players to use that retention on, so the retention limit isn’t likely to come into play.

It looks like we will be signing 3-4 UFAs to fairly long term deals, that limits the roster spots for prospects anyways so, the lack of picks might not hurt as badly as otherwise.

Our window is really going to depend on whether Lekkerimaki, Willander, and D Petey end up being top half of the lineup players.  We quite badly need to replace an expensive veteran with an ELC contract each of 2025, 2026, and 2027 to offset raises to Boeser and Hughes and to accomodate the dead cap.

Lekkerimki replaces Suter in 2025

D Petey replaces Soucy in 2026

Willander replaces whatever band-aid top four D we sign to partner with Zadorov in 2027

If those all actually work out we could be in fine cap shape and have a reloaded prospect cupboard.  If they don’t work out (or some dark horse prospect doesn’t come forward), then it is going to be a bunch more seasons of cap gyrations like this just to tread water.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2

Just now, German Canuck said:

Some people complaining about 700k and a 2nd round pick 2027.

Pathetic 

Yup. 109 point division champ season. A healthy Demko from at least the Conference Final. And some complain. These folk will complain about our Cup celebration parade route June 2025. 

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, DisgruntledNucksFan said:

Enjoy Chicago Ilya . Other Canucks will be joining your there soon

At least he can enjoy Famous Dave's Ribs.

Nom nom nom.

OMG they have a Famous Dave's in Tukwila!

ROAD TRIP! RIBBBBBBBS!

Edited by Ghostsof1915

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I've said this very consistently over Gillis, Benning, and now these clowns.  I don't care which management group suggests dead cap; there is no situation where they should continue working in hockey ops after that suggestion.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Or give up more to not have the dead cap.

So you value giving up better prospect over 700k cap space? Oh man this puts my faith in this current Canucks management even more now. We are definitely in good hands if throwing away better prospects would be how some folks would run the show. 

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

You'd think it was 15% of the teams salary or something.

Haha..yep!  I bet this is the chip that was required to finalize the Zad deal; PA didn’t want to derail his FA plan on Zad is my guess, nor did he want to be backed into a corner where he NEEDED to move salary prior to season. This trade allows him to resign our wanted FAs and dabble in the FA pool to give us a legit top 6….not a top 4 with plugs at the other 2 spots.

love the move!

• Like 2

Would have preferred to give up more to get rid of the whole salary, but I think with this $700,000 they probably have a good idea od the amounts their going to be paying, and why they won't need it to be free.

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don’t love the retention, but we don’t look like we will have other players to use that retention on, so the retention limit isn’t likely to come into play.

It looks like we will be signing 3-4 UFAs to fairly long term deals, that limits the roster spots for prospects anyways so, the lack of picks might not hurt as badly as otherwise.

Our window is really going to depend on whether Lekkerimaki, Willander, and D Petey end up being top half of the lineup players.  We quite badly need to replace an expensive veteran with an ELC contract each of 2025, 2026, and 2027 to offset raises to Boeser and Hughes.

Lekkerimki replaces Suter in 2025

D Petey replaces Soucy in 2026

Willander replaces whatever band-aid top four D we sign to partner with Zadorov in 2027

If those all actually work out we could be in fine cap shape and have a reloaded prospect cupboard.  If they don’t work out (or some dark horse prospect doesn’t come forward), then it is going to be a bunch more seasons of cap gyrations like this just to tread water.

My thoughts exactly! I’ve actually warmed to the idea of trying to grab Matt Roy on a 4/5 yr deal if we can get him <4.5m. That really solidly the D, and create a great 3rd pair vet partner for Petterson.

In theory… if Buffalo is indeed moving Skinner. What if we trade for him at 40-50% retention? At that salary I think we can pull a future 1st from them to dump the cap. We upgrade Mikheyev get draft capital and still have a good chunk to spend… 

2027 2nd rounder is like we might not see that player until 2030 in AHL  We still can get back 2nd rounder from any asset we have for teams that covet our player down the road so it will be fine because 2nd rounder is traded away all the time and we rarely get this back so.   Chicago will for sure use our 2nd rounder as a trading chip if they become a contender before the 2027 draft comes around.  The only thing it will prevent us is an offer sheet to any RFA for that specific year.

1 minute ago, CanucksFan26 said:

In theory… if Buffalo is indeed moving Skinner. What if we trade for him at 40-50% retention? At that salary I think we can pull a future 1st from them to dump the cap. We upgrade Mikheyev get draft capital and still have a good chunk to spend… 

Word is, Skinner is being bought out.  Better to wait for that if Skinner is what they want

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NoHeart said:

Trading away draft picks is the equivalent of an energy drink. A temporary energy boost now, with long term side effects. 

We are planting the seeds for the next Gillis empty cupboard era. 

It's good that people remember the history. The Gillis empty cupboard era is a shockingly bad period of time that many Canuck fans have willingly chosen to forget. The Gillis period did a lot of good things during that time, yet over the span of years that Gillis was in charge here, he couldn't even grab a significant goaltender or defensemen using a 2nd round pick or lower and that is beyond anything that can be excused. Gillis was a very flawed GM as was Benning. Neither of them are back at the helm for any NHL team for the near future.

The JR/Allvin management has yet to reveal how good they are with player development, but it is a promising period that we DO have some exciting players in our pipeline. I'm very high on D Pettersson, for example. He had an outstanding Swedish presence in the WJC. And while that in itself is no guarantee of success, it is still something worth mentioning for now. Gillis, on the other hand, was primarily focused on drafting perceived "NHL ready" players with low ceilings. When those ceilings were missed, you essentially had dud players.

Edited by PureQuickness
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

So just under 21 mill in cap space.

Let's say 5.5 for Zadorov, and 9 for Guentzel, that leaves us with about 6.5 for one more RD, a middle 6 winger and a 4 C. Definitely doable, but we'll be up against it.