(Trade) Canucks have traded Mikheyev

Honestly I think the Canucks need to go bargain bin hunting for some more scoring. Sign Monahan for 3C for 2.75M and Toffoli for top 6 duties for 4.5M. Rather have those two for less than 7.5 than just Guentzal for 9M plus. 
That leaves us some extra room to add a big body for the bottom 6 or another 6/7D that’s capable. 

• Upvote 1
  • MillerTime 1

Man, im feeling a little nostalgic. For the first time since the canucks signed Loui Erickson and Myers, i feel like we for a second dont have any dead weight. I mean that can change very quick but we talked about how management came in and would have to untangle a bit of a mess before they moved forward and i really feel like they have done that the best they can. Im excited for whats possible these next first years. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

59 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Had a feeling we would circle back on Joshua.  If we can get him at let's say $3.2 million for 4 years I think I would do that.  Zadorov at $5 million, Silovs at $1 million, Myers at $3.5 million.  Duhaime at $1.5 million.  We'd still have $7-8 million for a top 6 winger.  Joshua, Duhaime and Zadorov would give us the physicality we need...

no reason for Joshua to not wait till July 1st to see if there’s a 4+mil contract available. I don’t think he will say yes to a Canucks 3.2mil offer right now. I’m pretty sure 3.2mil will be there from the Canucks or other teams if he doesn’t find the contract he likes. Pretty much only expecting the zadorov news now till July 1st and then watch jr/pa go big fish hunting. Outside of zadorov everyone else is not an immediate need on the Canucks roster. I’m also against paying significant money to Joshua.. we already paying 5mil for garland.. that along with bluegar or whatever new 3c we get is already one of the most expensive 3rd line. We had too much invested in players playing in the bottom 6 hence we got rid of mikheyev.. not looking forward to ridding cap from bottom 6 just to dump it all back in the bottom 6

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Pretty solid odds, all the more reason to actually use them more regularly 

We're going to need young ELC talent coming in as time goes on, can't just ignore drafting and developing the next wave

We have a core that last eight years at least.

Under those eight years our best future players will be traded to us. Bottom six players is everywhere and the pro scouts are more important than the drafting scouts. 

Our drafted players is gonna be as when Gillis run the show.

Pure luck will decide the draft til we get into tank mode again, maybe ten years from now if we’re lucky.

• Vintage 1

Big kudos to Mikheyev for waiving. I'm convinced he would bounce back next season but this is still the correct move to make so kudos to management. 

It will be a really interesting couple of weeks coming up because the Canucks can go in a lot of directions with the space they have now. It's more exciting knowing that we've got a really capable management team. 

Waking up seeing Mik contract dumped and Blueger signed, great news!

No one wants to retain salary, but you need to look at it from opposing GM's view. Maybe "Kyle from Chicago" was the only option to deal with and that was a deal breaker?

Edited by Bonkers
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yup. We cleared 4 mil in cap. Bluegar came in at a lower AAV than last year. He is a 2.5 player. He signed for 1.8. There’s the 700 k of retention on Mik. 
This management team is a lot like Gillis’s. They manage the cap extremely well. Unlike Benning, the moran. 

Exactly and I think it was evident we got Blueger done. He is a great penalty killer and our third line with him centering it was totally fine. Now I'm hoping they actually keep Garland and that Podz take that spot next to them. DJ is probably gone July 1st.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, BornMello said:

Man, im feeling a little nostalgic. For the first time since the canucks signed Loui Erickson and Myers, i feel like we for a second dont have any dead weight. I mean that can change very quick but we talked about how management came in and would have to untangle a bit of a mess before they moved forward and i really feel like they have done that the best they can. Im excited for whats possible these next first years. 

Just dead cap space in buyouts/retention.    It is a little exciting to start with a clean slate, the amount of free agents Allvin needs to sign to fill out the roster is a bit daunting as far as not having any "passengers" or guys overpaid,  they sure did a great job last summer though, and haven't given us any reason to doubt them.    At least they fix their own mistakes, and don't keep them hanging around.   Kuzmenko and Mikheyev (4ish) off the books, that's a lot of extra cap.   Retention is better than a buyout too. 

Also think they have a much clearer path in mind.    The team we started with last season, sure looked like the real deal.    Tochett and Allvin do work together.   Lots of reasons for optimism. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yup. We cleared 4 mil in cap. Bluegar came in at a lower AAV than last year. He is a 2.5 player. He signed for 1.8. There’s the 700 k of retention on Mik. 
This management team is a lot like Gillis’s. They manage the cap extremely well. Unlike Benning, the moran. 

Allvin fixes his mistakes. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, stawns said:

Im wondering if Joshua isn't coming back now or where he would fit in.........I thought suter did ok with miller and Boes, but it's not ideal

I think they absolutely need one more Rd, as well as a couple of fwds.

Assuming they re-up Zad and Myers, that leaves them $11.5-12m (ish) to play with.  Do they bring back Cole on the cheap ,(comparatively)?

Well I think they have to build on last year and not roll out the same team. Someone has to go on top of Mik not sure who.

I think they'd prefer a Myers and Cole upgrade but not sure it is possible.

If I can be critical of JR/PA it is they build way too much in the UFA market. 
Every year we seem to need to sign half a defence from Benning to now. 
I know JR hates pics but would be nice to occasionally fill holes from within 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

How many of their own pucks did Vegas and Florida have on their Cup winners? 

3 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

Well I think they have to build on last year and not roll out the same team. Someone has to go on top of Mik not sure who.

I think they'd prefer a Myers and Cole upgrade but not sure it is possible.

The big improvement will happen on EPs line.    

Other than that, we should absolutely consider bringing most guys back.    Cole upgrade would be nice, or a lateral change.    

Last season, have zero doubt in my mind that if Demko played 60-65 games, we'd of won the West, and maybe the Presidents trophy too.     And that we'd of beat EDM with Demko.   Trick for Tochett is making the playoffs and home ice,  with a 60-40 split here on out.    Demko is a great goalie, let's be real though,  his body is breaking down a bit and he's struggled to stay healthy two seasons in a row.     Silovs has played 40ish games the past two years in Abby.   His stats aren't glowing but he's played the games.    Feel we'd have to accept winning the division as a big challenge insulating Demko.    It's a bit of a gamble.    

Do like Silovs game.    With some extra fired power, could see us repeating.    Don't expect to win a cup with Silovs as our starter though.    A bit of a balancing act, to keep our GA at the same level playing Demko at most 50 games a year.    Even that didn't work out last season.   Circumstances to win the division and gain home ice.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

they haven't even been here long enough to have drafted and developed any dmen. blame benning for the need, and thank allvin for filling the holes so well. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, tas said:

they haven't even been here long enough to have drafted and developed any dmen. blame benning for the need, and thank allvin for filling the holes so well. 

And we have traded away a good chunk of our first and second rounders because JR hates pics, always has. It is a long established pattern. 
Happy to blame Benning but we are treating pics the same way he did, we are just doing it at a more appropriate time now when we are pushing for cup, not trading away high pics in a rebuild. 
It is a tough place to be building the roster up on Canada Day every year, leads to buyouts and retention deals that cost more pics. Luckily we at least do it competently now and show an amazing ability to move on from our mistakes. 

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How many of their own pucks did Vegas and Florida have on their Cup winners? 

Vegas isn't a fair example given their "picks" were expansion draft players. 

As for Florida, Barkov, Ekblad the big ones.   Then you can look further back, TB was loaded with a core they drafted.  Vasilevksy, Point, Kucherov, Hedman,  Stamkos etc etc.   

Our team Brock, Demko, QH's, EP, Hogs, Podz soon Lekkerimaki (at least the experts figure he's a slam dunk ... 11th best prospect in the world pre-draft, he's one Canuck who's moved up the ranks significantly).    Miller is our Rhino. 

Most cup winner's, work a drafted core, supplemented with trades and some signings.    Trades for sure count.   COL traded away some of their drafted core (Duchene, Barrie), and came out roses adding Kadri, Toews, Manson etc.    Byram was an OTT pick too. 

Free agency isn't typically the way to build a team.   Maybe 2 holes core holes can be reasonably expected to be plugged that way, the rest trades.   We traded for Lindholm and Zadarov, if they re-sign with us that for sure counts.      TB traded for McDonagh and Sergachev.   That shored up their D.    TB fans for sure would consider them both core as well.  McDonagh well maybe key support but awfully close.   A legit top or second pairing guy. 

O'Reilly, MT, Rhino and Miller belong in the same category.    Key core players, coming in.   It's not like Florida didn't trade Weager (a very solid two way D) and Huberdeau (a drafted core player) to get MT either. 

Aside from adding EP his wingman, don't see why we shouldn't be pretty bullish on bringing most of the same crew back. 

Zadarov,  Myers (no way EDM could have survived another series with our D and Joshua, even Lindholm pounding away) are no brainers.     Maybe Dillon is Tochett can coach on switch hitter on his off side.    

As an aside, i'd welcome a straight across trade EP for Brady Tckchuk.   And then go hard after Lindholm.   

Hronek and Miller are part of our core.   That's two from trades. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, tas said:

We had a pretty good D prospect we traded last year.   In the realm of D-Petey.    For sure the team doesn't have the luxury to wait.    Willander and D-Petey, after that super thin.     At least they filled the toughest spot to fill in Hronek.    And Soucy was an excellent buy low filler.   It's what they will need to continue doing for the foreseeable future.    Team needs a bit of everything from the draft, but nothing that urgent.  

QHs Hronek

Soucy

Juulsen

That's our current signed D-corp.   Part of the reason I want Zadarov back so badly, is that's a stabilizing force.   The other part is we need his size.   A five year deal would be just fine.  

Edited by IBatch

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We had a pretty good D prospect we traded last year.   In the realm of D-Petey.    For sure the team doesn't have the luxury to wait.    Willander and D-Petey, after that super thin.     At least they filled the toughest spot to fill in Hronek.    And Soucy was an excellent buy low filler.   It's what they will need to continue doing for the foreseeable future.    Team needs a bit of everything from the draft, but nothing that urgent.  

QHs Hronek

Soucy 

That's our current signed D-corp.   Part of the reason I want Zadarov back so badly, is that's a stabilizing force.   The other part is we need his size.   A five year deal would be just fine.  

Juulsen. More than proved good for #6 at 775k.