__________-Petey-_______
Podkolzin-Bluegar-Garland

PDG-Suter-Karlsson

Aman

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorav-Juulsen/UFA

UFA/Juulsen

The way it stands right now Hoglander is either on Miller or Peteys wing. We are lacking 2 top 6 wingers not one. 

I would start with 4.75 for Zadorav, that’s a healthy 1M raise from his current 3.75M. 
Myers for 3M hopefully gives us 7.75M for 2 defenders. Pick up a 6/7 D for 1M-2M and rotate new dman with Juulsen.

We have basically 20.79M to work with after Ltir. Gives us 13M to pick up not one but 2 top 6 wingers. Instead of Guentzal I would go for 2 guys in the 6-7M range. 

My guess is Mgmt wants Hogs on the third or fourth line as a play driver with scoring potential lower in the line up

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, I mean, I get it, there's the human element. But all of these players play for the money. Look at Petey. He didn't take a discount, and I honestly don't think it really matters to him what jersey he's wearing as long as he's being paid the big dollars. Money at the end of the day rules for these players - especially the star and superstar players. They have a certain lifestyle they do maintain, and money is a big - huge - part in sustaining that life. 

At the same time, money isn't everything to them (this doesn't negate anything you said). If money was everything, then there'd be no point in playing if they get a huge paycheck. The game is something they love for sure.

Just now, PureQuickness said:

At the same time, money isn't everything to them (this doesn't negate anything you said). If money was everything, then there'd be no point in playing if they get a huge paycheck. The game is something they love for sure.

Build a good culture and treat "employees" right and they will stay for less for the greater good

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

The big improvement will happen on EPs line.    

Other than that, we should absolutely consider bringing most guys back.    Cole upgrade would be nice, or a lateral change.    

Last season, have zero doubt in my mind that if Demko played 60-65 games, we'd of won the West, and maybe the Presidents trophy too.     And that we'd of beat EDM with Demko.   Trick for Tochett is making the playoffs and home ice,  with a 60-40 split here on out.    Demko is a great goalie, let's be real though,  his body is breaking down a bit and he's struggled to stay healthy two seasons in a row.     Silovs has played 40ish games the past two years in Abby.   His stats aren't glowing but he's played the games.    Feel we'd have to accept winning the division as a big challenge insulating Demko.    It's a bit of a gamble.    

Do like Silovs game.    With some extra fired power, could see us repeating.    Don't expect to win a cup with Silovs as our starter though.    A bit of a balancing act, to keep our GA at the same level playing Demko at most 50 games a year.    Even that didn't work out last season.   Circumstances to win the division and gain home ice.  

Yeah if Silovs can max out his potential we could maybe have a Roy / Brian Hayward or Dryden / Bunny Larocque or Don Edwards / Bob Sauve or Mike Vernon / Rick Wamsley or Andy Moog / Reggie Lemelin situation.  Great starter and damn good backup who could be a starter on a medium team.  I think Fuhr / Moog and Smith / Resch might be pushing it.  Will be interesting to see what Silvos' ceiling really is.  Right now he feels kind of like a tiny improvement on peak Eddie Lack, or maybe like Alex Auld...but there is nowhere to go but up I think.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah if Silovs can max out his potential we could maybe have a Roy / Brian Hayward or Dryden / Bunny Larocque or Don Edwards / Bob Sauve situation.  Great starter and damn good backup who could be a starter on a medium team.  I think Fuhr / Moog and Smith / Resch might be pushing it.  Will be interesting to see what Silvos' ceiling really is.  Right now he feels kind of like a tiny improvement on peak Eddie Lack, or maybe like Alex Auld...but there is nowhere to go but up I think.

His base level is quite solid at the nhl level.  If he can tighten things up a little he would be a league average starter.  His x factor is he seems to be able to elevate in big moments or atleast isn't fazed which considering the position the mental side is huge to maxing out potential.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, chris12345 said:

Well I think they have to build on last year and not roll out the same team. Someone has to go on top of Mik not sure who.

I think they'd prefer a Myers and Cole upgrade but not sure it is possible.

What's wrong with last year's team?  I think they were pretty good.....I'd be bringing as many back as I could and maybe adding 1-2 on top

36 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

My guess is Mgmt wants Hogs on the third or fourth line as a play driver with scoring potential lower in the line up

Why would they want a 24 goal guy on the third or fourth line.  That makes zero sensr

8 hours ago, syntheticity said:

He's currently 29, been close to a 40 goal pace the last 6 years, solid defensively, wins puck battles, great on the powerplay, seems like an ideal partner for Petey, etc. Personally, I'd rather they get Guentzel for 9.5m than Joshua at 4m and Toffoli at 5.5m. I get the argument for spreading the money out more; I just think Guentzel meets so many of our biggest needs all at once.

Toffoli scored more goals than JG did last year

15 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah if Silovs can max out his potential we could maybe have a Roy / Brian Hayward or Dryden / Bunny Larocque or Don Edwards / Bob Sauve situation.  Great starter and damn good backup who could be a starter on a medium team.  I think Fuhr / Moog and Smith / Resch might be pushing it.  Will be interesting to see what Silvos' ceiling really is.  Right now he feels kind of like a tiny improvement on peak Eddie Lack, or maybe like Alex Auld...but there is nowhere to go but up I think.

You bet.   Nice thing is he's got age on his side.   His save percentage isn't sparkling.    Does seem to have something special about him,  potential.   Big game player maybe.    Reliable goaltending is awfully hard to find.   Skudra outplayed Cloutier for awhile (Cloutier did have one great regular season).    De-Smith did a good job last season.   Wonder what they will do, give the back-up to Silovs comes with risk, easier to find a journeyman back-up in the summer.     Do think Demko has a hard time staying healthy, and our cup aspiration's depend on having his services for four rounds.    

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Yes we would be deeper in the bottom 6 with Hogs on the third or fourth line. Just we would have lots of holes to fill in the top 6. 

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

And we have traded away a good chunk of our first and second rounders because JR hates pics, always has. It is a long established pattern. 
Happy to blame Benning but we are treating pics the same way he did, we are just doing it at a more appropriate time now when we are pushing for cup, not trading away high pics in a rebuild. 
It is a tough place to be building the roster up on Canada Day every year, leads to buyouts and retention deals that cost more pics. Luckily we at least do it competently now and show an amazing ability to move on from our mistakes. 

So are you complaining that JR/PA did some major moves last year, and with the coaching staff, got this team one win shy of the Conference Finals?

The team has it's 1st and 2nd rounders the next two years, and the 1st rounder in 2027.

The alternative was the team would have had to have been blown up last year, stock pile picks, and start all over again.

So that would have been a 3-4 year process to get a new core to start challenging.

The team still has Lek, Willander, Mynio, D-Petey, and other players brought in, or developing. Not really JR/PA's fault Benning left things in such a mess.

Unlike Benning, they fix things, even if it's contracts and players of their own choosing.

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why would they want a 24 goal guy on the third or fourth line.  That makes zero sensr

because he gets away from his game when he moves into the top 6. he played far better last year as the engine of a bottom line than trying to be a complementary piece on a scoring line. 

it's about role, not line number, and tocchet said he preferred hoglander in those lower lines. 

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, tas said:

because he gets away from his game when he moves into the top 6. he played far better last year as the engine of a bottom line than trying to be a complementary piece on a scoring line. 

it's about role, not line number, and tocchet said he preferred hoglander in those lower lines. 

I can't think of a dumber move than to put a 24 goal guy in the bottom 6 when you need top 6 players.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, stawns said:

I can't think of a dumber move than to put a 24 goal guy in the bottom 6 when you need top 6 players.

we really need an eyeroll reaction.  

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

You are the snarky IT guy that can't see past one single issue...instead of looking at the entire puzzle haha. A few things:

1) Hogs still has a lot of other elements he has to improve before Toch fully trusts him. 

2) His shooting % was 20% this season

3) He is alredy bottom six forward in TOI

4) He makes $1.1M this year so can slot in on the 3rd/4th line and move up and down the line-up

5) He'll need a contract next year so no point moving him up the line up and giving him more of an opportunity than he ready for. Tell him to get his complete game together and he'll get a nice bridge deal as am RFA next year.

19 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So are you complaining that JR/PA did some major moves last year, and with the coaching staff, got this team one win shy of the Conference Finals?

The team has it's 1st and 2nd rounders the next two years, and the 1st rounder in 2027.

The alternative was the team would have had to have been blown up last year, stock pile picks, and start all over again.

So that would have been a 3-4 year process to get a new core to start challenging.

The team still has Lek, Willander, Mynio, D-Petey, and other players brought in, or developing. Not really JR/PA's fault Benning left things in such a mess.

Unlike Benning, they fix things, even if it's contracts and players of their own choosing.

I think observation and complaints are different. 
those pics won’t last with JR. that is just how he does things. 
What I was saying is we dump pics no matter what phase we are in, Benning was an idiot dumping pics in a rebuild. At least we are in an appropriate phase now for all the dumping of pics that we are in the middle of. 

• Cheers 1