(Trade) Canucks have traded Mikheyev

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

Not sure what you are trying to say there. TT is an option though again I think will be gone.
JG is the prize here, when you get a chance at elite talent in an area of need, you take the swing. He fits our age group, fits our need, the management’s know what he brings as good as anyone and can ascribe value as good as anyone. Management has shown an amazing ability to back fill around the talent. 

What makes jg elite?  Riding shotgun to one of the top 10 players in the history of the game?  I like JG, I think he'd be a great option........just not for the cost it'll take to get him 

• Cheers 1

So we are ignoring the fact that once Hogz got moved up and was facing better D his scoring dried up and drug EP’’s down with it?

Obviously it was multi factorial but the test of a player isn’t whether he can score when nobody knows him, he needs to be able to re-adjust after coaches have adjusted to his game. 

• Like 1

Just now, stawns said:

What makes jg elite?  Riding shotgun to one of the top 10 players in the history of the game?  I like JG, I think he'd be a great option........just not for the cost it'll take to get him 

Not that it was a big sample size but his scoring rate increased when he left Crosby and he was Carolina’s best forward in playoffs. 
What makes him an elite winger?  His very solid career of demonstrated quality to date. 
I still say take the swing, if we can land him we will be the better team for it. Though again I don’t think it is happening. 

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

So we are ignoring the fact that once Hogz got moved up and was facing better D his scoring dried up and drug EP’’s down with it?

Obviously it was multi factorial but the test of a player isn’t whether he can score when nobody knows him, he needs to be able to re-adjust after coaches have adjusted to his game. 

Höglander was drugging Petey?  😲

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

EPs scoring was non-existent well before Hogs was added to his line. Let's not put EPs struggles on Hogs lol. Hogs was moved up to that line to try and help, and he was able to get him going a little bit, but then Petey went back to how he was playing prior.

5 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

Hogs should be no where near the 4th line anymore. He is too good of a player for that role now, and he proved it last year.

You could say he could be on the 3rd line this year, but if we were to bring back Joshua I don't think the Joshua/Bluegar/Garland line gets broken up.

That pretty much leaves one of the top 6 wing spots for Hogs, which in my opinion, is where he should be after last year's performance. He's still developing, his game in his own end greatly improved last year and the guy just creates offense. He's probably our best player along the boards and in tight areas on the team, and creates chances out of nothing a lot of times with his tenacity.

The problem is that mgmt doesn't actually know if his performance is repeatable. I like Hogs very much but he hasn't actually proven he is a top six winger. I expect there will be value deals (AAV and term) for players with a longer track record. Hogs is young and should be given the opportunity only after he has taken the next step in his game.

1) Hogs still has a lot of other elements he has to improve before Toch fully trusts him. 

2) His shooting % was 20% this season

3) He is already bottom six forward in TOI

4) He makes $1.1M this year so can slot in on the 3rd line and move up and down the line-up

5) He'll need a contract next year so no point moving him up the line up and giving him more of an opportunity than he ready for. Tell him to get his complete game together and he'll get a nice bridge deal as am RFA next year.

Again, as much as I like Hogs and think he can grow in to a second line player, if he is on the second line next year, mgmt has likely failed at achieving what they wanted to achieve.

Also, if DJ gets signed, it is at a higher number and he is likely moving up the line-up. 

20 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Requires deeper planning than that. Toch would disagree on the third point and the other two items are why I think he is better suited driving his own line lower down. He is a solid, developing player that can provide great depth. If the Canucks want to take the next step, they need a different look/element with Miller and/or EP in the top six.

Yeah at $1.1M, he is paid like a bottom 6 guy, and man it'd be great to have Garland on the 3rd line and Hoglander on the 4th.  That's offensive depth that we need come playoff time.  Only problem is it leaves 2 holes on Petey's wings.

1 minute ago, Heretic said:

Seriously, wth kind of trade is this?!?!??!?!

We retain salary and give a 2nd round pick for a 4th!

Screenshot 2024-06-27 083822.png

It’s called a great trade because we clear 4 mil off the cap just before July 1. Adds bullets to the gun. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah at $1.1M, he is paid like a bottom 6 guy, and man it'd be great to have Garland on the 3rd line and Hoglander on the 4th.  That's offensive depth that we need come playoff time.  Only problem is it leaves 2 holes on Petey's wings.

For sure, mgmt will have to be creative to find those two forwards but EP needs change.

I agree that having Garland and Hogs on two separate bottom six lines would give this team great offensive depth...provided they can thread the needle and find the right, complimentary players for EP.

• Like 1

Do you trade Garland for Marino so that you can take some money out of bottom 6 and move Hogz to his spot?

Similar salaries. Pits could use some depth scoring and we need right D. 
Edit: er I mean NJ. Maybe not such a great fit then. 

Edited by DrJockitch

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Do you trade Garland for Marino so that you can take some money out of bottom 6 and move Hogz to his spot?

Similar salaries. Pits could use some depth scoring and we need right D. 

Marino is with NJ not PIT.

Don’t think NJ would want Garland.

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

🤮

Did we say how long you gotta keep that up?  I can't remember lol.  Let's say until puck drop of Game 1 of the regular season.  Fair? 😉

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

3 months. I’m counting every day.  🤨

I've included you in my signature so you can see it every post I make.  You are welcome.

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

im about “ roundabout numbers” .

Originally in Calgary he wanted 4.275

His game was given opportunity here which is what he asked for .

Nik showed up big.

There is a lot of potential there, this was the first opportunity in his career where he felt he wasn’t held back.

It wouldn’t bother me to have Nik for 6x6,

but I don’t think he is asking that .

Good Term will balance his asking, where ever it is.

I think Nik and his Wife truly love it here..

It was part of JT’s decision in his agreement.

If they truly love it here take what you're worth. Somewhere around DeMelo money. DeMelo is the much better player too. Besides, we have Dillon as an option too, who I'm sure would come cheaper. Overpaying Zads is not ideal, I love him as much as everyone else, but we got to be smart about the cap. 5.5mil is too much for Zadorov given the landscape DeMelo set.

Friedman confirmed that other team that was interested in Mik was San Jose. (Apologies didn’t read through to see if this was previously posted). 

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

If they truly love it here take what you're worth. Somewhere around DeMelo money. DeMelo is the much better player too. Besides, we have Dillon as an option too, who I'm sure would come cheaper. Overpaying Zads is not ideal, I love him as much as everyone else, but we got to be smart about the cap. 5.5mil is too much for Zadorov given the landscape DeMelo set.

TBH I dont think I can confidently say demelo is much better than Z?

Hes played with Morrissey on a really well structured team with a Vezina Winning Goalie.

Subtract his last two years and compare their careers so they are similar ages. And Big Z resume, physical attributes and ability to embrace a high pressure market and elevate in the playoffs compared to demelo who struggled in the playoffs and outside of the handedness difference and premium I don think you can say hes a clear cut much better player.

Demelo also has 17 career NHL goals 0 in playoffs and Z has 47 regular season career goals and 8 in the playoffs.

I think Z has room for growth here the next two years too.

My opinion though.