(Trade) Canucks have traded Mikheyev

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Call me crazy... But I don't know how I feel about this. I'm so fucking over paying people to take out mistakes. Dude had a bum knee, why not just give him a chance to see if he's better this year?

One simply doesn't walk into mordor with a bum knee 

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Petey O said:

Whether it's Guentzel at 9.5 or Marchessault at 6ish as a stopgap option until Lekkerimaki can potentially step in, I'll just be glad that EP is getting a legitimate top 6 winger.

I'll be confident in whatever this FO does. I trust them.

Agreed. Whatever happens, it’s guaranteed they are spending the money on a top 6 winger for Petey. Allvin even said as much in his end of season press conference. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I guess it would be Roy than the next option it would be Carrier.

But Roy is getting more than Demelo hes going to be prolly in the 5-6M range.

And Carrier is going to be in the 4-5M range with a UFA RHD pay bump.

Myers on the open market would probably be able to get 4-5M as well on a short term deal from many teams.

So Myers at 2.5-3.5 is probably a better option than a lot of RHD on the market value wise.

Myers really increased his value in the playoffs.  His game translates really well for that kind of grind.

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Petey O said:

Whether it's Guentzel at 9.5 or Marchessault at 6ish as a stopgap option until Lekkerimaki can potentially step in, I'll just be glad that EP is getting a legitimate top 6 winger.

I'll be confident in whatever this FO does. I trust them.

FO or FA?  🤣

4 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I guess it would be Roy than the next option it would be Carrier.

But Roy is getting more than Demelo hes going to be prolly in the 5-6M range.

And Carrier is going to be in the 4-5M range with a UFA RHD pay bump.

Myers on the open market would probably be able to get 4-5M as well on a short term deal from many teams.

So Myers at 2.5-3.5 is probably a better option than a lot of RHD on the market value wise.

Myers needs a partner though who can help retrieve and move the puck effectively, him and soucy got hemmed in a lot

I think management is going to take a run at a puck mover like Marino or Carrier to get the puck up in transition better

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Call me crazy... But I don't know how I feel about this. I'm so fucking over paying people to take out mistakes. Dude had a bum knee, why not just give him a chance to see if he's better this year?

so what if he have a even worse year? pay a 1st next year or buy him out and stack it on top of the 4mil+ oel cap penalty?

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Pesce, Tanev, Miller, Carrier, Roy...Jesus a whole boat load of guys  🤣

With Willander coming in whereby Allvin is very high on him, I don’t see the Canucks spending big on another RHD. They got their guy in Hronek which was the key. They just need a stop gap for a couple years. Myers fits the bill perfectly. 

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Because his knee was not the issue. He had so many grade A chances and couldn’t buy a goal. The guy literally has stone hands. His opportunity in our last playoff game was a perfect example. 

Good riddance. The guy has speed and checks but can’t score if his life depended on it.

Edited by Grandmaster
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Petey O said:

Because this core is in a contention window, and the FO isn't going to risk tossing out a year of that window just to rehabilitate a guy making almost 5 mil when that money can be spent for an upgrade on wing/defense.

The Canucks aren't in a transition phase. They're in a "win now" phase.

And now we won't have a 2nd round pick to add at the deadline if we're needing to get over the top. With everything we know about ACL injuries, it's highly likely Mik gains back his speed. It's unlikely he's worth his cap, but it was never likely he was worth that cap. It seemed to me an overpay from day 1. But he could have still been a decent bottom 6 guy if he got his speed back. 

I dunno, I trust this management, but a 2nd seems mighty valuable. They were very clear they weren't going to pay to move off his cap. Why change?

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I know you’re not a Myers fan, but he was stellar in the playoffs, even took out Draisaitl and broke his ribs. I’d easily re-sign him to a 3 year extension up to around $3.5 million. Him and Soucy make a great pairing. 

Fan has nothing to do with it. I've been one of the only people defending him the last few years when were were a team with no forward puck support, no systems and no complementary partners for him. Was thrilled to see the Myers that was always there this year.

If we're spending upwards of $3.5m on him though, I'd far, FAR rather we apply that $3.5m for a legit #2-#4 D in Pesce/Tanev/Roy/Miller/Carrier etc.

It's the exact same argument of a Guentzel/Marsh/Reinhart vs Toffoli etc. I'd far rather spend a bit more money for an ACTUAL high end player that moves the needle more than a midrange guy that just eats cap.  Fill in around high end talent with kids,  2nd and 3rd day UFA guys looking for a good team, money-puck guys like Amadio or Trenin that have chances to outplay their contracts in complementary roles, etc, etc.

Mid guys get you a mid team.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

so what if he have a even worse year? pay a 1st next year or buy him out and stack it on top of the 4mil+ oel cap penalty?

I don't think he could have been worse, realistically. And it would be a year less term at that point.

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

Because his knee was not the issue. He had so many grad A chances and couldn’t buy a goal. The guy literally has stone hands. His opportunity on our last playoff game was a perfect example. 

Good riddance. The guy has speed and checks but can’t score if his life depended on it.

He's literally always been that player. If the problems were his hands, then it was mighty short sighted signing him in the first place.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

And now we won't have a 2nd round pick to add at the deadline if we're needing to get over the top. With everything we no about ACL injuries, it's highly likely Mik gains back his speed. It's unlikely he's worth his cap, but it was never likely he was worth that cap. It seemed to me an overpay from day 1. But he could have still been a decent bottom 6 guy if he got his speed back. 

I dunno, I trust this management, but a 2nd seems mighty valuable. They were very clear they weren't going to pay to move off his cap. Why change?

I know, but Mik is a bandaid that needs to be ripped off. 

• Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I understand the sentiment, especially after so many years of Benning selling futures just to bring us from being a lottery team to a team just decent enough to miss out on the highest picks in the draft, but still bad enough to miss the playoffs.

The team's in a different position now. We are a contender. We're actually in a position that can justify selling futures for help right away. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, MeanSeanBean said:

He's literally always been that player. If the problems were his hands, then it was mighty short sighted signing him in the first place.

It wasn't a good signing. It goes on the Ooops side of the ledger for this management group. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Fan has nothing to do with it. I've been one of the only people defending him the last few years when were were a team with no forward puck support, no systems and no complementary partners for him. Was thrilled to see the Myers that was always there this year.

If we're spending upwards of $3.5m on him though, I'd far, FAR rather we apply that $3.5m for a legit #2-#3 D in Pesce/Tanev/Roy/Miller/Carrier etc.

It's the exact same argument of a Guentzel/Marsh/Reinhart vs Toffoli etc. I'd far rather spend a bit more money for an ACTUAL high end player that moves the needle more than a midrange guy that just eats cap.  Fill in around high end talent with kids,  2nd and 3rd day UFA guys looking for a good team, money-puck guys like Amadio or Trenin that have chances to outplay their contracts in complementary roles, etc, etc.

Mid guys get you a mid team.

We aren’t getting Pesce or Roy for $3.5 million though. We are hoping Myers takes a discount and ONLY signs for $3.5 million. He’d easily get $4-5 million on the open market. Myers at 3.5x3 is a great deal for us and we can roll with him until Willander is ready. 

10 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

They wanna do something else with the roster

But yeah, I'm kinda tired of management dumping second rounders to buy their way out of their mistakes 

They already did this with Dickinson 

10 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Because then you don't have cap to do anything and we would be mediocre again. There's also a chance that he won't be better this year

Just now, Rekker said:

I know, but Mik is a bandaid that needs to be ripped off. 

Yes, but it's still risky. I trust this management and I generally give them the benefit doubt. But they signed this free agent contract, and now they are paying to get away from it to, likely, sign a other free agent contract. They best knock it out of the park.

• Cheers 1