[Speculation] Free Agency Notes: Stamkos, Stephenson, Toronto, Tanev, Teravainen

Free Agency Notes: Stamkos, Stephenson, Toronto, Tanev, Teravainen

June 26th, 2024 at 8:50pm CST • By Brennan McClain

As the Tampa Bay Lightning attempt to clear out the necessary cap space to retain their captain Steven Stamkos, another team may have entered the fray. In a list of news items around the league as the hockey world heads into the offseason, Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic (Subscription Required) indicates the Nashville Predators will attempt to sign the star forward if he hits the free agent market on July 1st.

In addition to Stamkos, LeBrun notes that the Predators will also look into the market for Chandler Stephenson this summer as the team looks to add some punch to their lineup. As one of the most active teams of last year’s free-agent period; Nashville does not appear content to be a fringe contender next season. Even without Stamkos or Stephenson on the roster last season, Nashville was one of the best offensive teams in the league as they finished 10th in the NHL with a GF/G average of 3.24.

The Predators may be better served in putting most of their efforts toward Stephenson, as Stamkos will likely look for a team closer to Stanley Cup contention if he decides to leave Tampa Bay in the first place. In any case, money will not be a factor in the negotiations for either player as Nashville owns just north of $26MM of cap space heading into the summer. According to EvolvingHockey, Stephenson will command a four-year deal with a salary of $6.1MM while Stamkos is projected to get a three-year contract with an AAV of $8.4MM.

Other free agency notes:

There is no question that the Toronto Maple Leafs will be looking to add to their defensive core this offseason. However, as Pierre LeBrun reports, the team has not ruled out extending some of their current defensemen who are set to hit unrestricted free agency next Monday. That list would include Joel Edmundson, Ilya Lyubushkin, Mark Giordano, and T.J. Brodie although all signs indicate that the latter’s time in Toronto has ended. Edmundson and Lyubushkin are both physical defensemen who like to play with an edge while Giordano is a stabilizing presence on the back end. Depending on the cost, the Maple Leafs may decide to keep some of their current pieces around for next season.

Chris Tanev is looking to cash in on a solid 2023-24 NHL season as Jonas Siegel and James Mirtle of The Athletic (Subscription Required) report the veteran defenseman is looking for a four-year contract this offseason. The veteran defenseman is already engaged in contract discussions with the Dallas Stars on a new deal, but it is unknown how long the organization is willing to go on his next contract. If Tanev makes it to the open market, plenty of defensive-needy teams will be interested in his services, but the pack may thin out if teams are unwilling to make that long of an arrangement.

With the team’s sole focus on retaining Jake Guentzel before July 1st, it appears the Carolina Hurricanes will not make an offer to Teuvo Teravainen and he will hit the open market as suggested by David Pagnotta of The Fourth Period. Teravainen has quietly been one of the most effective players on the Hurricanes for eight years and should receive plenty of interest once free agency opens up. If his time in Carolina has ended, Teravainen will have amassed a total of 555 games in Carolina while scoring 137 goals and 415 points overall.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/free-agency-notes-stamkos-stephenson-toronto-tanev-teravainen.html#ref=home

26 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Free Agency Notes: Stamkos, Stephenson, Toronto, Tanev, Teravainen

June 26th, 2024 at 8:50pm CST • By Brennan McClain

As the Tampa Bay Lightning attempt to clear out the necessary cap space to retain their captain Steven Stamkos, another team may have entered the fray. In a list of news items around the league as the hockey world heads into the offseason, Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic (Subscription Required) indicates the Nashville Predators will attempt to sign the star forward if he hits the free agent market on July 1st.

In addition to Stamkos, LeBrun notes that the Predators will also look into the market for Chandler Stephenson this summer as the team looks to add some punch to their lineup. As one of the most active teams of last year’s free-agent period; Nashville does not appear content to be a fringe contender next season. Even without Stamkos or Stephenson on the roster last season, Nashville was one of the best offensive teams in the league as they finished 10th in the NHL with a GF/G average of 3.24.

The Predators may be better served in putting most of their efforts toward Stephenson, as Stamkos will likely look for a team closer to Stanley Cup contention if he decides to leave Tampa Bay in the first place. In any case, money will not be a factor in the negotiations for either player as Nashville owns just north of $26MM of cap space heading into the summer. According to EvolvingHockey, Stephenson will command a four-year deal with a salary of $6.1MM while Stamkos is projected to get a three-year contract with an AAV of $8.4MM.

Other free agency notes:

There is no question that the Toronto Maple Leafs will be looking to add to their defensive core this offseason. However, as Pierre LeBrun reports, the team has not ruled out extending some of their current defensemen who are set to hit unrestricted free agency next Monday. That list would include Joel Edmundson, Ilya Lyubushkin, Mark Giordano, and T.J. Brodie although all signs indicate that the latter’s time in Toronto has ended. Edmundson and Lyubushkin are both physical defensemen who like to play with an edge while Giordano is a stabilizing presence on the back end. Depending on the cost, the Maple Leafs may decide to keep some of their current pieces around for next season.

Chris Tanev is looking to cash in on a solid 2023-24 NHL season as Jonas Siegel and James Mirtle of The Athletic (Subscription Required) report the veteran defenseman is looking for a four-year contract this offseason. The veteran defenseman is already engaged in contract discussions with the Dallas Stars on a new deal, but it is unknown how long the organization is willing to go on his next contract. If Tanev makes it to the open market, plenty of defensive-needy teams will be interested in his services, but the pack may thin out if teams are unwilling to make that long of an arrangement.

With the team’s sole focus on retaining Jake Guentzel before July 1st, it appears the Carolina Hurricanes will not make an offer to Teuvo Teravainen and he will hit the open market as suggested by David Pagnotta of The Fourth Period. Teravainen has quietly been one of the most effective players on the Hurricanes for eight years and should receive plenty of interest once free agency opens up. If his time in Carolina has ended, Teravainen will have amassed a total of 555 games in Carolina while scoring 137 goals and 415 points overall.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/free-agency-notes-stamkos-stephenson-toronto-tanev-teravainen.html#ref=home

Tanev wants 4 years!!! 

Teravainen would be a big pick up while other teams are focussed on Guentzel.

For us he probably is a fit on a Miller-Boeser line… and we likely don’t have enough money for that.

All reporting indicates the market is going to be stupid for Guentzel and it is likely best to stay out of that.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Was just thinking the same thing. Mixed signals tho, he was available for a mid round pick and now he's the 'sole focus '?

I doubt he'll be traded, Carolina typically doesn't like giving big money and term to older players but they seem to be intent on retaining him

I think they'll ultimately meet his ask

Just now, Coconuts said:

I doubt he'll be traded, Carolina typically doesn't like giving big money and term to older players but they seem to be intent on retaining him

I think they'll ultimately meet his ask

Man I wish we could see the white board in Rutherfords office, I'd love to know the different opinions they are really looking at.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Provost said:

For us he probably is a fit on a Miller-Boeser line… and we likely don’t have enough money for that.

All reporting indicates the market is going to be stupid for Guentzel and it is likely best to stay out of that.

Not sure about Teravainen's speed (I think of him as fast, but maybe just because he's not very big).  If he is fast though, you're right, he could be a really good complementary player on that line.  Regardless, he'd make that line more of a threat than the addition of Suter does, in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Man I wish we could see the white board in Rutherfords office, I'd love to know the different opinions they are really looking at.

No doubt, they've probably got a number of contingency plans like every other front office. 

I think they'll miss out on Guentzel but I think they'll be better for it. Even if they can get a legitimate second liner for Pettersson that's an upgrade on Mikheyev, who was a middle six tweener at best. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Was just thinking the same thing. Mixed signals tho, he was available for a mid round pick and now he's the 'sole focus '?

The media is getting worse and worse at picking a lane.

6 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Not sure about Teravainen's speed (I think of him as fast, but maybe just because he's not very big).  If he is fast though, you're right, he could be a really good complementary player on that line.  Regardless, he'd make that line more of a threat than the addition of Suter does, in my opinion. 

Is he good at retrieving pucks on the forecheck?

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce

Teravainen + toff + zadorov + zucker + myers 

The sharks are swirling for guentzel unless alvin and rutherford have an upperhand with a personal relationship from the pens no way im trying to pay him 10milly

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

It is really his style, he is a set up guy and playmaker.  Boeser is a pure shooter and Miller really isn’t a natural play making Centre.  You give them a guy who is elite at dishing the puck like Teravainen and that is a lethal line.

He isn’t really a fit with Petterson as he is a playmaker too, and needs shooters not another high end passer.  That is why Mikheyev wasn’t a fit, he can do pretty much everything except finish.

Obviously if Guentzel is picked up and. Is that Blueger is signed, keeping a cheap Suter on that 2nd line is a decent use of cap space.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, TopCheese said:

Teravainen + toff + zadorov + zucker + myers 

The sharks are swirling for guentzel unless alvin and rutherford have an upperhand with a personal relationship from the pens no way im trying to pay him 10milly

Yep, read the tea leaves in the market and snap up players while everyone is waiting for Guentzel to make his decision.

(unless they already know they are going to get him through the Penguins mafia).

XX-Petterson-Toffoli

Teravainen-Miller-Boeser

Martinook-Suter-Garland

Duhaime-Blueger-Podkolzin

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Zub

Soucy-Juulsen

Friedman 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yep, read the tea leaves in the market and snap up players while everyone is waiting for Guentzel to make his decision.

(unless they already know they are going to get him through the Penguins mafia).

XX-Petterson-Toffoli

Teravainen-Miller-Boeser

Martinook-Suter-Garland

Duhaime-Blueger-Podkolzin

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Zub

Soucy-Juulsen

Friedman 

how’d we get zub? 

2 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

how’d we get zub? 

There have been reports of Ottawa making some moves like this…. Do you see Hoglander on our roster?  😄

There are a number of similar level and priced 2nd Pairing RD available in that spot… Tanev, Roy, Pesce, etc.

(We don’t have several players on the roster, it just shows what level of guys we can get if we don’t get Guentzel

Edited by Provost

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is really his style, he is a set up guy and playmaker.  Boeser is a pure shooter and Miller really isn’t a natural play making Centre.  You give them a guy who is elite at dishing the puck like Teravainen and that is a lethal line.

He isn’t really a fit with Petterson as he is a playmaker too, and needs shooters not another high end passer.  That is why Mikheyev wasn’t a fit, he can do pretty much everything except finish.

Obviously if Guentzel is picked up and. Is that Blueger is signed, keeping a cheap Suter on that 2nd line is a decent use of cap space.  

Hmmmm.....your description is making it sound like splitting the Guentzel money to sign Teravainen to play on the top line and Tofolli to play with Petterson might just be a better alternative  than signing only Guentzel.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

There have been reports of Ottawa making some moves like this…. Do you see Hoglander on our roster?  😄

Gotcha. Hate to lose hogs… I am really loving the idea of a super stout defence these days though. 

Edited by Dizzle

25 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

No doubt, they've probably got a number of contingency plans like every other front office. 

I think they'll miss out on Guentzel but I think they'll be better for it. Even if they can get a legitimate second liner for Pettersson that's an upgrade on Mikheyev, who was a middle six tweener at best. 

Well, lots of opportunities now.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

I think as a general rule you don't really want to go after the biggest fish in free agency as there will almost always be a bidding war leading to overpayment. The second tier guys can usually be had for much more fair contracts.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I think as a general rule you don't really want to go after the biggest fish in free agency as there will almost always be a bidding war leading to overpayment. The second tier guys can usually be had for much more fair contracts.

I disagree.

I think those second tier guys end up being the most overpaid based on what they bring. Every team that doesn’t get one of the big fish are gonna create a bidding war for those players.

Id rather pay a little more for elite talent. Those players are more likely to produce close to the level of their contract.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I disagree.

I think those second tier guys end up being the most overpaid based on what they bring. Every team that doesn’t get one of the big fish are gonna create a bidding war for those players.

If rather pay a little more for elite talent. Those players are more likely to produce close to the level of their contract.

Depends the circumstances. Sometimes 2nd tier guys want to be in certain places and might take a little less than what other teams may offer. 

It happens more so with older players though. Typically players in their prime always cash out. 

So we could go cheaper if we go older. That comes with a different set of pros and cons though. 

10 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If you can’t nab Guentzel then get either two 2nd line forwards or one 2nd line forward and a 2nd pair D

You can nab both for what you would have paid Guentzel for the most part. 

Long game might be a good strategy too having some cap space going into camp might not be a bad idea either. That is if we strike out on a big fish