[Speculation] Free Agency Notes: Stamkos, Stephenson, Toronto, Tanev, Teravainen

Just now, Devron said:

Long game might be a good strategy too having some cap space going into camp might not be a bad idea either. That is if we strike out on a big fish 

Playing with fire though. Trade market isn’t fully set till teams figure out their rosters during season play. 

Could be a buyers market for what you’re looking for or a sellers. 

I would prefer they spend cap even if they just go with lesser players on short term deals. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Playing with fire though. Trade market isn’t fully set till teams figure out their rosters during season play. 

Could be a buyers market for what you’re looking for or a sellers. 

I would prefer they spend cap even if they just go with lesser players on short term deals. 

Thats true. Guess it changes every year. Just recall some teams cutting it close and having to make moves in the pre season. Be nice to take advantage of something like that 

If Zub is available we should be interested if true! Hoglander can go the other way for sure or maybe they wan Podkolzin and we take that chance? Tocchet seems to believe in Podz tho so I hope we breaks out this year

Zub and Pinto would be a great duo to try snag from Ottawa. But would cost a lot

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Do not think Teravainen is the answer either. We need a goal scorer with Petey imo 

He did put up a career high in goals this past season and is a multiple time 20g scorer. 

He is not a bad shooter per se. 

I think he would be a fit because he is also a good defensive player for an offensive guy. He is a good possession player. He can PP and PK. Tocchet would like that. Only real knock is he isn’t that physical. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Viking said:

If Zub is available we should be interested if true! Hoglander can go the other way for sure or maybe they wan Podkolzin and we take that chance? Tocchet seems to believe in Podz tho so I hope we breaks out this year

Zub and Pinto would be a great duo to try snag from Ottawa. But would cost a lot

Why would we trade Hoglander when we are already missing 2 top 6 players. Hoglander had 24 goals? It would be nice to have Zub but I don’t think it makes sense for us to move either of those young forwards at this point 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Yep, read the tea leaves in the market and snap up players while everyone is waiting for Guentzel to make his decision.

(unless they already know they are going to get him through the Penguins mafia).

XX-Petterson-Toffoli

Teravainen-Miller-Boeser

Martinook-Suter-Garland

Duhaime-Blueger-Podkolzin

PDG

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Zub

Soucy-Juulsen

Friedman 

No Toffoli. Too slow for our roster.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Hmmmm.....your description is making it sound like splitting the Guentzel money to sign Teravainen to play on the top line and Tofolli to play with Petterson might just be a better alternative  than signing only Guentzel.

This

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I disagree.

I think those second tier guys end up being the most overpaid based on what they bring. Every team that doesn’t get one of the big fish are gonna create a bidding war for those players.

Id rather pay a little more for elite talent. Those players are more likely to produce close to the level of their contract.

Or you get Tavares ruining Toronto's cap structure for a decade...

Some of the mid-tier guys definitely end up in bidding wars, but others look for best fit. Also since there are usually multiple similar type players in that second tier you don't have to put all your eggs in one basket. But ultimately free agency is always at least somewhat of a gamble.

53 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

so he probably most likely disappears in the postseason then. pass. 

In the playoffs with Carolina he has put up 19 goals and 20 assists in 65 games and is +22. Averaging 19 minutes a game. 

At even strength in the playoffs with Carolina, his possession numbers are good with 50/50 ozone/dzone starts. 

He’s played in the playoffs 8 times. He’s only had two poor post-seasons where he didn’t produce much offence once in 2023 at 28 years old and the other in 2016 as an 21 year old. Every other year was either average or good production. He’s won a cup with Chicago in his 2nd year in his first playoffs. 

He seems like a net positive player with above average secondary scoring, defensive ability and possession play in the postseason. Not a game breaker though. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 hours ago, Devron said:

I’m guessing he’ll get it too. Someone will pay and it will be nice it’s not us. 

Ya no thank you as much as I like him thats kinda nuts to me

• Upvote 1