Signing Big Z and Dakota Joshua over Jake Guentzel

• Mikeyman109 changed the title to Signing Big Z and Dakota Joshua over Jake Guentzel

We probably have the budget for all three and JG is an elite talent that raises his game in the playoffs. 
We probably won’t land him and will be looking at cheaper options ultimately anyway. 

I'm still split regarding JG signing. It's easy to imagine JG and Petey lighting things up and giving us two very competent top lines.

I wouldn't have a problem with 9mil contract if it was 4-5 years.

My prediction is Big Z and Guenzel gets done, DJ walks (Podz will get the chance to fit that spot)

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I honestly don't understand the hype with Guentzel. If we're going to pay him $8 million plus, why not just spend that money on Lindholm. Both players are the same age, but Lindholm is a right-handed centreman - something we don't have. Guentzel is a winger. 

• ThereItIs 1

19 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I honestly don't understand the hype with Guentzel. If we're going to pay him $8 million plus, why not just spend that money on Lindholm. Both players are the same age, but Lindholm is a right-handed centreman - something we don't have. Guentzel is a winger. 

I think the potential of Guentzel with Pettersson is huge. If you have a dual threat of Miller-Boeser then followed up with Pettersson-Guentzel then a 3rd line including Blueger and Garland, maybe Podkolzin you've got quite the attack.

Reason Lindholm stood out more so is there was nothing coming out of Pettersson's line.

All that said, the money free'd up in Mikheyev deal simply allows the Canucks to keep pace in terms of the roster they had last year while potentially adding a top six legit scorer in Guentzel. The team is still going to need to get more out of Juulsen and one of Raty, Bains, Karlsson will need to break in. My guess is Raty and Aman rotate on 4th C.

Something far too many people forget, players have to want to be here. Joshua may want to but his time in his career is now, if he can secure 12-16 million from signing elsewhere versus under 10 million in Vancouver he is going to have to do it. He is not a top six and he should not be paid above $ 3m per.

Perhaps a roster like this we see next season:

Elias Pettersson 11,600,000
JT Miller 8,000,000
Brock Boeser 6,650,000
Conor Garland 4,950,000
Teddy Blueger 1,800,000
Pius Suter 1,600,000
Nils Hoglander 1,100,000
Vasily Podkolzin 1,000,000
Nils Aman 825,000
Phil Di Giuseppe 775,000
Jake Guentzel 9,250,000
Aatu Raty 836,667
Brandon Duhaime 1,500,000

Quinn Hughes 7,850,000
Filip Hronek 7,250,000
Carson Soucy 3,250,000
Noah Juulsen 775,000
Mark Friedman 775,000
Tyler Myers 3,250,000
Brenden Dillon 3,750,000
Dmitry Kulikov / Justin Schultz 1,500,000

Thatcher Demko 5,000,000
Arturs Silovs 1,250,000

Totals $87,595,834
  • MillerTime 1

I actually think we pass on the biggest names. If you look at teams who have a few high-paid guys on their team, they usually have difficulty rounding out the rest of their team. Ultimately, I believe that's what kept Edmonton from winning the cup and is what's hurting Toronto's chances over the last few years as well.

I would instead suggest we go after a 2nd liner who can play similar to Miller in a physical role but also capable of scoring. Then for the top line, perhaps we go after a prior star who is now willing to take a steep discount similar to what we saw from Duchene. Here's what I whipped up today, assuming Skinner will be bought out and is willing to take that steep discount:

canucks.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wiener 1

4 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think the potential of Guentzel with Pettersson is huge. If you have a dual threat of Miller-Boeser then followed up with Pettersson-Guentzel then a 3rd line including Blueger and Garland, maybe Podkolzin you've got quite the attack.

Reason Lindholm stood out more so is there was nothing coming out of Pettersson's line.

All that said, the money free'd up in Mikheyev deal simply allows the Canucks to keep pace in terms of the roster they had last year while potentially adding a top six legit scorer in Guentzel. The team is still going to need to get more out of Juulsen and one of Raty, Bains, Karlsson will need to break in. My guess is Raty and Aman rotate on 4th C.

Something far too many people forget, players have to want to be here. Joshua may want to but his time in his career is now, if he can secure 12-16 million from signing elsewhere versus under 10 million in Vancouver he is going to have to do it. He is not a top six and he should not be paid above $ 3m per.

Perhaps a roster like this we see next season:

Elias Pettersson 11,600,000
JT Miller 8,000,000
Brock Boeser 6,650,000
Conor Garland 4,950,000
Teddy Blueger 1,800,000
Pius Suter 1,600,000
Nils Hoglander 1,100,000
Vasily Podkolzin 1,000,000
Nils Aman 825,000
Phil Di Giuseppe 775,000
Jake Guentzel 9,250,000
Aatu Raty 836,667
Brandon Duhaime 1,500,000

Quinn Hughes 7,850,000
Filip Hronek 7,250,000
Carson Soucy 3,250,000
Noah Juulsen 775,000
Mark Friedman 775,000
Tyler Myers 3,250,000
Brenden Dillon 3,750,000
Dmitry Kulikov / Justin Schultz 1,500,000

Thatcher Demko 5,000,000
Arturs Silovs 1,250,000

Totals $87,595,834

I'd rather chase Reinhart over Guentzel if I'm forced to pass on Lindholm. 

Having another strong centreman would do wonders for the team. It would bring versatility and allow Petey to play the wing whenever needed. Easier to get centres to play wing compared to the other way around.

4 hours ago, Reznor said:

I actually think we pass on the biggest names. If you look at teams who have a few high-paid guys on their team, they usually have difficulty rounding out the rest of their team. Ultimately, I believe that's what kept Edmonton from winning the cup and is what's hurting Toronto's chances over the last few years as well.

I would instead suggest we go after a 2nd liner who can play similar to Miller in a physical role but also capable of scoring. Then for the top line, perhaps we go after a prior star who is now willing to take a steep discount similar to what we saw from Duchene. Here's what I whipped up today, assuming Skinner will be bought out and is willing to take that steep discount:

canucks.jpg

Skinner is an intriguing plan b. Or marchessault if he isn't demanding 9M

2 hours ago, Bretzky said:

I’d like to see this defenceman lineup

Hughes - Juulsen

Zadorov - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

…and really happy we resigned Joshua.

I like Juulsen as a filler but I just don't have confidence in him as an everyday defenseman however I have a feeling the Canucks see him as just that now. Not overly liking that but if fans want Zadorov and Myers in Vancouver and an upgrade of the forwards then Juulsen fits into the top six to make the cap work.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reznor said:

canucks.jpg

I think Sprong would be on their radar before Duclair.

9 hours ago, smithers joe said:

they need a guentzel or a necas on petey's line to help maximize petey's talents.

i'ld rather bring back lindholm than some of the other choices.

Edit

Edited by Rocket-68

So after the Myers signing we have 14.5 in cap.  That could sort out as Guentzel @ 9.5 and Zadorov @ 5.  Pretty solid, but leaves Juulsen, Friedman, Woo and McWard to fight it out for the last RD position.  That's the weakest link but at least 4 guys have the chance to step up.

16 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

So after the Myers signing we have 14.5 in cap.  That could sort out as Guentzel @ 9.5 and Zadorov @ 5.  Pretty solid, but leaves Juulsen, Friedman, Woo and McWard to fight it out for the last RD position.  That's the weakest link but at least 4 guys have the chance to step up.

9.5+ 5 = 14.5   leaving no money for anyone on last pair right D, doesn't it?

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I like Juulsen as a filler but I just don't have confidence in him as an everyday defenseman however I have a feeling the Canucks see him as just that now. Not overly liking that but if fans want Zadorov and Myers in Vancouver and an upgrade of the forwards then Juulsen fits into the top six to make the cap work.

The lineup could be very interchangeable and work too, as per a committee.

• Like 1

Id rather just sign Tanev and Zedorov over Guentzel then bring up some of the young guys for forward spots

Garland Miller Boeser 

Hoglander Pettersson Lekkerimaki 

Joshua Blueger Karlsson

PDG Suter Podkolzin 

Hughes Hronek

Zedorov Tanev 

Soucy Myers 

Juulsen 

Edited by Rypien-Punch

8 hours ago, Rypien-Punch said:

Id rather just sign Tanev and Zedorov over Guentzel then bring up some of the young guys for forward spots

Garland Miller Boeser 

Hoglander Pettersson Lekkerimaki 

Joshua Blueger Karlsson

PDG Suter Podkolzin 

Hughes Hronek

Zedorov Tanev 

Soucy Myers 

Juulsen 

I have to agree, JG had some very good players on the Pens and they missed the playoffs the last 2 years, I prefer to have younger cheaper hungry players who never have won yet and have the desire to get there, like a younger JG before he won with Pens and Canada,

JG was a 3rd round pick, we just need to find someone younger and similar to JG who hasn't been given the opportunity or played with the right players in his career for a lot cheaper, But if management goes after him, I trust they know better, as they even know the player personally

Edited by Ballisticsports
  • Like 1

Rumor from the 32 thoughts today is that Carolina has met Guentzel's ask, but he can still decide if he wants to go elsewhere (edit) hmm see what we heard later today.

Edited by DSVII

Allvin has money to spend still.  We will get at least one more forward and at least one more D.  Hopefully he is able to leave us in a state where we can fit everyone under the cap such that we can save up cap room for the TDL.  

• Cheers 1