Signing Big Z and Dakota Joshua over Jake Guentzel

If Tanev wants to come back to Vancouver, he will tell his agent to listen to the deal the Canucks offer on July 1st. If it is in his ballpark, he'll come back. But if they wouldn't go big for Zadorov, why would they go big with an older, more injury-prone Tanev? Tanev probably plays in Toronto because they'll offer something like four years with a $5.5M AAV. Vancouver can't throw that kind of money and term at a 35 year-old guy who is running out of bones to break and teeth to lose. Love the guy, but that train has left the station.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Zadorov is now linked to the worst place on the planet.  He may be playing along side fat face Austin. Ick. Still speculation at this point.

But Tanev could come back. I was against Chris coming back but now it doesn't sound so bad. No long term stuff though, that could be a stickler..

That interview where he toyed around about "what do you think I'm worth" as if he wasn't chasing the money and wanted to stay here? 

Loved him, but any player who doesn't want to be here can be shown the door. I get it, it's a business and you have to take care of yourself first. But if he goes to Toronto he'll be just another loser Leaf to me. See ya.

Really hope it's all just the game of cat and mouse and he shows up on our roster again but it doesn't seem likely.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

On 6/27/2024 at 10:17 AM, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I think the potential of Guentzel with Pettersson is huge. If you have a dual threat of Miller-Boeser then followed up with Pettersson-Guentzel then a 3rd line including Blueger and Garland, maybe Podkolzin you've got quite the attack.

Reason Lindholm stood out more so is there was nothing coming out of Pettersson's line.

All that said, the money free'd up in Mikheyev deal simply allows the Canucks to keep pace in terms of the roster they had last year while potentially adding a top six legit scorer in Guentzel. The team is still going to need to get more out of Juulsen and one of Raty, Bains, Karlsson will need to break in. My guess is Raty and Aman rotate on 4th C.

Something far too many people forget, players have to want to be here. Joshua may want to but his time in his career is now, if he can secure 12-16 million from signing elsewhere versus under 10 million in Vancouver he is going to have to do it. He is not a top six and he should not be paid above $ 3m per.

Perhaps a roster like this we see next season:

Elias Pettersson 11,600,000
JT Miller 8,000,000
Brock Boeser 6,650,000
Conor Garland 4,950,000
Teddy Blueger 1,800,000
Pius Suter 1,600,000
Nils Hoglander 1,100,000
Vasily Podkolzin 1,000,000
Nils Aman 825,000
Phil Di Giuseppe 775,000
Jake Guentzel 9,250,000
Aatu Raty 836,667
Brandon Duhaime 1,500,000

Quinn Hughes 7,850,000
Filip Hronek 7,250,000
Carson Soucy 3,250,000
Noah Juulsen 775,000
Mark Friedman 775,000
Tyler Myers 3,250,000
Brenden Dillon 3,750,000
Dmitry Kulikov / Justin Schultz 1,500,000

Thatcher Demko 5,000,000
Arturs Silovs 1,250,000

Totals $87,595,834

just bring one of the sedins back out of retirement and sign him to a 1 year contract!

On 6/27/2024 at 4:11 PM, DSVII said:

Skinner is an intriguing plan b. Or marchessault if he isn't demanding 9M

I was thinking Skinner. I know he's not a prototypical Tocchet player, but I think our team needs that extra scoring punch still.

On 6/28/2024 at 1:11 PM, kettlevalley said:

Allvin has money to spend still.  We will get at least one more forward and at least one more D.  Hopefully he is able to leave us in a state where we can fit everyone under the cap such that we can save up cap room for the TDL.  

Really good take! Pretty much what happened. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’m still pissed we signed Myers first , and didn’t prioritize Zadorov giving him at least the same offer that Boston did .

Zadorov ,   Was a big part in finishing the identity the Canucks Management wanted as “Culture”.

Our D is not going to look like it did after we acquired him.

Deharnais or Forbert would have replaced Myers.

A 34 yr old D man for 3x 3yrs is a waste..   one that didn’t play on  a 6x 6yr decently for 6 years previous .

We couldn’t match or beat a 5x 6yr for Zadorov ??

He played better than Myers in a timespan of 4 months , compared to Myers combined 6 years.

Don’t drink the Kool Aid ..  this one’s going to haunt us,

We are to miss Zadorov for a long time..

players like him are a rare breed,.  Worth keeping .

297A696F-9DC2-4603-801D-3782E24323B9.thumb.jpeg.85f1ba11e22fec04a128835291a863e4.jpeg

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 2

I liked Z, mostly because he plays the game within the game to a tee.  It gives the team an edge 100%

That said, as a player he can be replaced.  His playoff goals were awesome but fluky. He’s unique though.  If he’s a committed athlete for his duration in BOS hats off to him.

I really like the new guys that were signed.  There’s some potential there for this team to be a serious pita next season.  

• Cheers 3

50 minutes ago, Goose said:

I liked Z, mostly because he plays the game within the game to a tee.  It gives the team an edge 100%

That said, as a player he can be replaced.  His playoff goals were awesome but fluky. He’s unique though.  If he’s a committed athlete for his duration in BOS hats off to him.

I really like the new guys that were signed.  There’s some potential there for this team to be a serious pita next season.  

Yes! No more half-hearted pitas on this team!!👍

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I’m still pissed we signed Myers first , and didn’t prioritize Zadorov giving him at least the same offer that Boston did .

Zadorov ,   Was a big part in finishing the identity the Canucks Management wanted as “Culture”.

A 34 yr old D man for 3x 3yrs is a waste..   one that didn’t play on  a 6x 6yr decently for 6 years previous .

He played better than Myers in a timespan of 4 months , compared to Myers combined 6 years.

297A696F-9DC2-4603-801D-3782E24323B9.thumb.jpeg.85f1ba11e22fec04a128835291a863e4.jpeg

I don’t think I agree with the fact that he played better than Myers the 4 months here. Maybe at times, and he had flashy moments, but I don’t think it was that different. If Myers plays like he did last year, his contract is going to look so good. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Uh.. why would you be pissed? We need a RHD you know. 3million for a 2RHD that we know is solid playing with Soucy and the coaching staff likes a lot, what more can you ask for? That's what the GM needed to do first actually lol. 

For those who says anyone like Zadorov can slot in the RHD position, they just don't know what they are talking about. And if you think Deharnais can play 2RHD,  you are overrating him way too much. He was benched in the finals lol. 

Edited by Drakrami

6 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Uh.. why would you be pissed? We need a RHD you know. 3million for a 2RHD that we know is solid playing with Soucy and the coaching staff likes a lot, what more can you ask for? That's what the GM needed to do first actually lol. 

For those who says anyone like Zadorov can slot in the RHD position, they just don't know what they are talking about. And if you think Deharnais can play 2RHD,  you are overrating him way too much. He was benched in the finals lol. 

I don’t subscribe to heavy arguments for “sides or handed”  positions,.

The generation of the game has advanced to everyone “roving” positionally during the action of the game and systems involved.

Yes ,.   Face off or “Set Plays “ from static starts its understandable .

Many players move to opposite zones in Defending Or Offensive action ,   Including Zadorov .

when I hear Right or Left handed these days I think of Wooden Sticks and Tube Skates.

Perhaps those who haven’t seen the game evolve into what I’m describing,   …. Are looking for a goal,

. and not seeing who was involved from where or what happened for the puck to get into the net.

7 hours ago, Pianoman said:

I don’t think I agree with the fact that he played better than Myers the 4 months here. Maybe at times, and he had flashy moments, but I don’t think it was that different. If Myers plays like he did last year, his contract is going to look so good. 

Then Myers  needs 1 year contracts to consistently be playing into a contract year of negotiations.

11 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I hear you. At the same time, this management has earned trust with me and I am curious to see what they have in store. Loved Big Z but also respect management sticking to an internal cap limit for players and positions. I hope this mentality will help us really build a contender moving forward and sign (and resign) players for reasonable deals.

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Then Myers  needs 1 year contracts to consistently be playing into a contract year of negotiations.

I think people forget he *ONLY* cost us two late round picks (one of which was pick *SEVERAL* years down the road).  That tells him his play prior to wearing a Canuck uniform wasn't worth much.  In terms of dollars, we basically offered the same as the Ruins (only difference was the length of the contract offer).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

To me, management had the following options:

(Myers at 3, Desharnais at 2, Forbort at 1.5 = 6.5 mil)

The minute you sign Zadorov for 5, you fill up your left side and have two huge holes to fill for 1.5 mil.  Okay, you can still get Forbort, another lefty.

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Zadorov

Forbort-Juulsen

I thought our LD who played off hand last year all struggled.  So it’s a no-go.  Capfriendly is down but maybe Schultz comes back to JR for 1.5? 

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Juulsen

Soucy-Schultz

Friedman

I could have lived with that, but Tocchet and Foote probably don’t love wasting rock solid Soucy with a niche offensive guy.

Meanwhile, maybe we forgo signing Heinen to open up 2+ mil more cap. Now we have 9 mil to play with.  We give Zadorov his money.  At this point, I’m running back to Myers.

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Zadorov-Juulsen

Friedman

honestly, when we re-signed Friedman this is where I saw us going. Basically a run-back without Cole. I would have been happy with this, as well.  Other options would be to leave Zad and Myers, and go with Roy or Pesce plus Forbort again. 

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Roy/Pesce

Forbort-Juulsen

i think that gives you a true “#3” but we’ve lost some of that size identity on the back end.

Plus, Heinen almost guarantees Suter to drop back to a bottom 6 C position - and that’s pretty big. As it stands our 4th line could be:

Podkolzin-Suter-Sherwood

and if Pods brings it like he was at the end of last year that’s a productive, physical, obnoxious, responsible 4th line. A poor man’s 3rd line if you will.

Bringing us back to:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Myers

Forbort-Desharnais

Juulsen

does have a lower ceiling, but higher basement as keeping Juulsen as #7 is a nice call up.

No doubt we look to add a #3 type D mid season - either hand would be fine. But I think management did a great job creating arguably the best bottom 6 in the league while still fielding a serviceable, huge, bottom 4 D with + PK utility.  Anyways, after a few weeks, it still looks like Allvin did a fabulous job at UFA. 

Edited by The Duke
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Another thought: signing and re-signing:

DeBrusk, Joshua, Heinen and Sherwood.

Allvin is adding speed / forecheck utility up and down the lineup. A huge shift in identity that aligns with his coach. Very good job getting on the same page.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I agree.

Its going to take awhile for me too to get over his departure.  He was just the exact D player this team has craved for for....ever. He's one of those special ingredients a team needs for playoff success.  They don't grow on trees, at least not that big.

It was even more than his stats, or hits, and I don't care about his goal totals.  He was a presence in the room. He rounded out the total character of the new Tocchet Canucks. His confidence, his humour, his bravado. You could literally watch other team's players purposely trying to avoid him. He created a lot of space for other team stars to do their work. So  many intangibles that are not evident on the surface.

Also spoke a lot to his character when he courageously came out against his home country in their aggression against Ukraine. I really respected that about him as well.

IMO one of the few mistakes, misreads that this management has made.   Gawd its going to be hard watching him in a Bruins jersey.   I'm sure I'll get over it, like I did with Tanev, but like Tanev, I'll always hold a little gripe that we let such a special player slip through our fingers.

• Vintage 1