Signing Big Z and Dakota Joshua over Jake Guentzel

5 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I think people forget he *ONLY* cost us two late round picks (one of which was pick *SEVERAL* years down the road).  That tells him his play prior to wearing a Canuck uniform wasn't worth much.  In terms of dollars, we basically offered the same as the Ruins (only difference was the length of the contract offer).

this is the thing for me ..

Management did,  like you say , trade futures for Zadorov, going into a contract year.UFA.

So the key thing is this player needed to be watched and as soon as they realized HOW , in so many ways,   He positively effected our Core and Culture,

Management should have been praising and offering him the money he was looking for ( reportedly 4.5 per out of Calgary).

( or better)

He should have been signed before the playoffs.

That in itself would have raised the level of his game , realizing that in Vancouver , he found his Home.

Even at 5 m x 5 or 6 years ,.  This would have been a no loss situation.

instead 3m per went to Myers for 3years ,

6m that could have been utilized for Zadorov.

We lost .

Zadorov will push for the pairing on the top 2 D lines on any team .

And at 29 ,  JUST starting his prime , going for a new “ceiling” in the opportunities he showed well for.

At 5m for 6 years , taking him to 35 years of age ,. For the flexibility he offered our D Core , his PK strength , the intensity of his intimidation, His ability to overwhelm Power Forwards from opposing teams..

How many D men offer that type of compatibility in the League .

His contract could have been constructed like others on this Club  after 4 years , Clauses.

Watching Myers for these last 3 years is going to be painful .

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Pianoman said:

I don’t think I agree with the fact that he played better than Myers the 4 months here. Maybe at times, and he had flashy moments, but I don’t think it was that different. If Myers plays like he did last year, his contract is going to look so good. 

8 points in 13 playoff games ,  special teamed on the PK .

That is what he showed when finally getting the opportunities he had been  asking for with other clubs.

He was always “plugged “ as a bottom D man anywhere else because no one else could think he was any better ..

”but big”.

It’s a stereotype that is type cast.

• Cheers 1