[Buyout] Stars Buy Out Ryan Suter

Stars To Buy Out Ryan Suter

June 27th, 2024 at 9:07am CST • By Josh Cybulski

Jeff Marek of Sportsnet is reporting that the Dallas Stars are buying out the final year of defenseman Ryan Suter’s contract. Suter was owed $4.3MM in actual salary and was set to carry a cap hit of $3.65MM as part of the four-year $14.6MM contract he inked in July 2021. The buyout marks the second time in Suter’s career that his contract has been cut short as the Minnesota Wild bought out the final four years of his 13-year, $98MM contract back in July 2021. With the move, Dallas will add a $1.4MM charge to their cap for the 2025-26 season, but they will save $2.866MM this season (as per CapFriendly). Typically, a 35+ contract buyout wouldn’t lead to any savings, however, Suter’s contract was not frontloaded and had no signing bonuses after the first year, meaning the Stars will see some savings.

Suter played in all 82 games last season for Dallas but saw his offensive production drop for a second consecutive season as he tallied just two goals and 15 assists. His average ice time dropped to the lowest it has been since his rookie season with Nashville back in 2005-06.

While Suter isn’t the elite rearguard he once was, he remained an effective player for the Stars as he never missed a game in his three years with the team and was still a decent possession player, posting a CF% of 51% at even-strength. Suter can still skate and block shots and is responsible in his end, he is still an NHL defenseman despite being 39 years old. Suter will likely have interest from other teams in free agency if he elects to continue his career.

For the Stars, the move is surprising, but it makes sense given that they are hoping to retain pending unrestricted free agents Chris Tanev and Matt Duchene. Dallas had just over $16MM in available cap space coming into today and also has to try and re-sign restricted free agent defenseman Thomas Harley. If they do sign those three players it will eat into most of their remaining cap space and would have left little room to fill out the remainder of their roster.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/stars-to-buyout-ryan-suter.html#ref=home

Edited by RWJC
  • Thanks 1

He would be a solid 3rd pairing LHD for cheap.  He's still strong defensively.  He played 18:56 ATOI last season for Dallas.  I think we could drop that ice time down which would probably help his overall game.  He's a decent PK option too.  I'd imagine a $2M 1-year deal would probably entice him to come to another contender.  We need to find the cheap bargains wherever we can find them in the lower part of our roster (3rd pair D, 4th line F)

• Like 1
  • chaos 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

He would be a solid 3rd pairing LHD for cheap.  He's still strong defensively.  He played 18:56 ATOI last season for Dallas.  I think we could drop that ice time down which would probably help his overall game.  He's a decent PK option too.  I'd imagine a $2M 1-year deal would probably entice him to come to another contender.  We need to find the cheap bargains wherever we can find them in the lower part of our roster (3rd pair D, 4th line F)

Instead of Big Z? Be next season’s Cole? 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Instead of Big Z? Be next season’s Cole? 

Assuming Big Z wants too much (ie. $5.5M+), I'd use that money on Matt Roy instead.  Bring back Myers and have Suter on the 3rd pair with him.

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Roy

Suter-Myers

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Isn’t he like 50 years old ??

App for Declining Assets says he’ 39 .

Yeah , No.

Apparently Gary Suter is a UFA too!! 
We can get them both and rekindle some Sedinery on the back end!

• Haha 3
  • chaos 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Assuming Big Z wants too much (ie. $5.5M+), I'd use that money on Matt Roy instead.  Bring back Myers and have Suter on the 3rd pair with him.

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Roy

Suter-Myers

Suter needs to retire. Only way I would consider him is a league min salary. 

Just now, Grandmaster said:

Suter needs to retire. Only way I would consider him is a league min salary. 

I mean he has lasted because he’s smart,

wonder if he Coaches somewhere for a decade or so ?

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Scott72 said:

Would he be the first player with multiple buyouts in their career? 

Some kid should just plan it well...

Step 1:  Play lights out to get into NHL.

Step 2: Play lights out in contract year.

Step 3: Sign long term big contract.

Step 4: Suck until bought out.

Step 5: Sign new 1 year deal.

Step 6: Play lights out.

Step 7: Sign long term big contract.

Step 8: Suck until bought out.

Step 9: Retire before 30 with millions. 

Step 10: Profit.

• Haha 1

• RWJC changed the title to [Buyout] Stars Buy Out Ryan Suter
On 6/27/2024 at 11:55 AM, Scott72 said:

Would he be the first player with multiple buyouts in their career? 

From what I could find the only other player to have ever been bought out twice in their career is Tony DeAngelo.

On 6/27/2024 at 8:26 AM, HKSR said:

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-Roy

Suter-Myers

Not a terrible plan B if Zads won’t budge on price. I’d still feel comfortable with that defence.

18 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Might not be bad with Hronek for a year if we want to also get Tanev for Hughes. 

This is how we need to be thinking now.

Short term low cost signings to bridge the gap for guys like Willander and Pettersson to be ready.

Suter would be a great Cole replacement.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

This is how we need to be thinking now.

Short term low cost signings to bridge the gap for guys like Willander and Pettersson to be ready.

Suter would be a great Cole replacement.

Might save us enough money for Guentzel or a top 9 guy like Zucker + a 2nd line forward. 

2nd line forward for Petey and (top 9 guy like Zucker)/Suter can mingle between the top 2 lines to see what fits. 

The 2nd option might not be as ideal as Guentzel but it would be better than what Petey had last season.