[Speculation] Devils Notes: Smith, Necas, Pesce

Devils Notes: Smith, Necas, Pesce

June 27th, 2024 at 9:45am CST • By Josh Cybulski

James Nichols of NJ Hockey Now is reportingthat New Jersey Devils defenseman Brendan Smith will likely become a free agent on July 1st. Nichols added that a different source of his told him that if Smith reaches free agency, it will be his choice and not the Devils. Smith was a trade candidate at the NHL trade deadline but ultimately stayed in New Jersey, however, when the season ended, Smith told the media that he hadn’t discussed a contract extension with the Devils.

The Devils have been busy as of late and are expected to make some major moves this summer, Smith has acknowledged that there is a pecking order to things, and it seems entirely possible that he is open to re-signing with the team. The 35-year-old has stated to the media that he loves New Jersey, but the most important thing to him is staying in the NHL.

In other Devils notes:

Frank Seravalli has linked the Devils to Carolina Hurricanes forward Martin Necas saying that New Jersey may have offered their 10th overall picks in this year’s draft in an attempt to acquire the 25-year-old. At this point, it’s almost a foregone conclusion that Carolina is fielding a ton of offers for Necas, while simultaneously trying to sign pending unrestricted free agents such as Jake Guentzel. Necas had a solid, but unspectacular year with the Hurricanes, dressing in 77 games while posting 24 goals and 29 assists. He is a pending restricted free agent and is due a $3.5MM qualifying offer.

Rumors continue to fly about the Devils signing free-agent defenseman Brett Pesce. The chatter began when Elliotte Friedman of the 32 Thoughts podcast linked the two sides late last week. Devils’ general manager Tom Fitzgerald told The Jeff Marek Show that he was in the market for defensemen to add to his backend. Pesce is a defense-first rearguard who can play in a variety of roles, he posted a career-high 30 points in the 2022-23 season, but that dropped last year to just three goals and 10 assists in 70 games.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/devils-notes-smith-necas-pesce.html#ref=home

• Vintage 1

Really too bad NJ is playing hardball with Necas.  He would be the ideal acquisition IMO.  Still young, good size, plenty of upside. 

I'd include Lekkerimaki in a deal for Necas because let's face it, all we would really want is for Lek to turn into a player of Necas' ability anyways.  We just fast forward several years in terms of development time to get a player we need.

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Really too bad NJ is playing hardball with Necas.  He would be the ideal acquisition IMO.  Still young, good size, plenty of upside. 

I'd include Lekkerimaki in a deal for Necas because let's face it, all we would really want is for Lek to turn into a player of Necas' ability anyways.  We just fast forward several years in terms of development time to get a player we need.

$$$ saved in that same time period will be invaluable to this club though in a multitude of ways. Necas might be a nice fit but his price tag won’t be while we hopefully build on success and Lek’s development at a fraction of that expense. 

I think Carolina would opt for the 10OA over Lekkermaki, but that could also mean that it's a move that comes down to draft day. Who's on the board when could influence who Carolina trades him to. 

4 minutes ago, RWJC said:

$$$ saved in that same time period will be invaluable to this club though in a multitude of ways. Necas might be a nice fit but his price tag won’t be while we hopefully build on success and Lek’s development at a fraction of that expense. 

We're spending that cap space anyways though.  I guess the hope is Lek comes in as an ELC and performs well right away.  I have my reservations about that... not every prospect is gonna make an immediate impact like Petey and Hughes did.  Look how long Hoglander has taken... same with Podkolzin.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, HKSR said:

We're spending that cap space anyways though.  I guess the hope is Lek comes in as an ELC and performs well right away.  I have my reservations about that... not every prospect is gonna make an immediate impact like Petey and Hughes did.  Look how long Hoglander has taken... same with Podkolzin.

That’s what I meant…Lek could become a top 6 too given opportunity and playing alongside some high level talent, and at his price point it enables other moves to use the cap space difference. In other words, we may “obtain” a top 6 talent and 1-2 other NHL pieces for roughly the same cost. That’s a solid way to approach depth.
Would love to see Necas here especially if we don’t land JG, but given our circumstance some controls and prospect development need to be in place if we do. 

44 minutes ago, VanOriginal said:

Holy crap, some ridiculous monies going to get thrown out and signed today. That's too much, to long. Love the player but the way he plays will be tough to sustain. 

6 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Ouch, I don't want any part of that if true.

Jersey gets the drunken sailor award of the day already.

They just threw out almost 15 million on two players before free agency has even opened.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, VanOriginal said:

Oh man if Marchessault can get a contract like that I cant see why anyone would hold back on Stamko's contract. They are paying 8.5million until Marchessault is 39 years old lol.... The Tanev contract is crazy too. The salary cap increase has gone out of hand.