[Speculation] Latest On Jacob Trouba - Detroit bound?

Latest On Jacob Trouba

June 27th, 2024 at 10:53am CST • By Josh Erickson

Rangers captain Jacob Trouba has been the subject of trade speculation ever since their season ended in Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Final. It seems internal discussions around trading him have gained a fair amount of credibility, as Arthur Staple of The Athletic reports that the team has asked Trouba’s representation for the 15 teams on his no-trade list, which kicks in on July 1 after having a full no-move clause for the past four seasons.

Staple and The Athletic’s Peter Baugh wrote Tuesday that “there’s no indication as of yet that the Rangers are entertaining a Trouba move,” so his report today is the first credible sign that general manager Chris Drury is considering it. No specific teams have yet been linked to the Blueshirts in Trouba trade talks.

Moving out Trouba, who has two seasons remaining at an $8MM cap hit, would open up a significant amount of cap space for Drury to make a big splash in this summer’s free-agent market. New York has been linked to Jake Guentzel, the top left winger available, in recent days after previously pursuing him at this season’s trade deadline.

Coming off arguably his worst season as a Ranger, Trouba likely won’t have much trade value, especially if the Rangers aren’t retaining any salary. The 30-year-old had three goals, 19 assists and 22 points with a -4 rating in 69 games, missing a significant chunk of games near the end of the regular season with an ankle injury.

In the playoffs, he saw his ice time dip to 20:59 per game from 21:15 in the regular season and had a decent offensive showing with a goal and six assists in 16 appearances. His usual pairing with K’Andre Miller struggled to control play at even strength in the postseason, posting an xGF% of 41.5 in 92 minutes together, per MoneyPuck. However, he fared much better in third-pairing usage alongside pending UFA Erik Gustafsson.

He may be their captain, but $8MM is a large chunk of change for someone past his 30th birthday set to potentially begin next season back in a bottom-pairing role with youngster Braden Schneider challenging for his spot in the top four. He’s become expendable, especially considering Schneider needs a new deal as an RFA this summer. Adding depth scoring will also be a priority for Drury, as is freeing up future cap space for an Igor Shesterkin extension. The perennial Vezina candidate will be in line for a mega-deal next summer as he enters his final season under contract at a $5.67MM cap hit.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/06/latest-on-jacob-trouba.html#ref=home

Edited by RWJC

this is one where I would try to get Utah or some other bottom feeder to retain 1/2 and get him here. I doubt he wants to be in Canada but at this point who knows, maybe he waives given that our window is open again. 

Not suggesting this because I don't know Trouba well enough as a player but hypothetically speaking, isn't Trouba the perfect RD partner for Hughes? Talented, rough, big hitter, decent age, and due for a bounce back season. If he could be acquired for a low amount, with the Rangers retaining $1M - $3M, would it not be worth it?

Hughes Trouba

Soucy Hronek

Dillon Myers

Juulsen

Friedman

High but could probably do this for under $32M...flame away haha

Edited by NoCupSyndrome
  • Like 1

Friedman suggests that Drury won’t buy out Trouba due to cap implications beginning next season and they $ they will have to allocate to extensions. Trade is realistically the lone option. Or waivers, which seems crazy. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

There would need to be some serious money retention and picks going the other way for this overpriced a hole to be moved 

I don’t agree. For the right amount of picks, SJ would take on Trouba like a fly on shit imho 

Edited by RWJC
  • Haha 1

He won't need to get bought out, they can retain and save more money than a buyout.

He is similar to Zadorov except much meaner and more talented.  I would be happy to have him on the team with $3 million retained and send Hoglander that direction for them to get a cheap secondary scoring forward.

He probably has bottom feeders and most Canadian teams on his no trade list, so he may be tougher to move than they think.  Of course his NMC also expires July 1st so if they just want to completely get rid of his cap I could see a bottom feeder taking him on the full freight.  It is only two years remaining and if you are Chicago, San Jose, or Utah with no cap worries, and want some protection for your youngsters and a guy with a style that would make him a fan favourite... it seems like a good fit.

Maybe he is amenable to a trade just to avoid that scenario of being waived and ending up in purgatory.

You pair him up with Hughes and Zadorov with Hronek and you do not have folks taking liberties on our players and open up space for our smaller skill guys.

A defence of:
Hughes-Trouba
Zadorov-Hronek
Soucy-Juulsen

Yikes... that is a rough and tumble crowd that also has skill.

Edited by Provost

14 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

Trouba - Juulsen pairing please. Heads will roll

Would be a bruising pairing but that’s two RHD playing together. I’d rather have Hughes’ bodyguard throwing elbows at anybody taking runs at him 😂. Also I’m an advocate of splitting up Hughes and Hronek I don’t like all the money tied up on one pairing. I think you need to get more from Hronek by asking him to anchor the 2nd pairing.

• Cheers 1

Report: Rangers & Red Wings Working on Blockbuster Trade 

Shane Seney 

Saturday, June 29, 2024 

The New York Rangers are one step closer to trading captain Jacob Trouba. Reports surfaced early Saturday morning, day 2 of the 2024 NHL Draft, that the Rangers and Detroit Red Wings were closing in on an agreement.

Larry Brooks of the New York Post is reporting, the two teams are in advanced trade talks - "Indeed, a well-placed source has told The Post that GM Chris Drury is working on a deal to send the captain (Trouba) to a trade that the Michigan native would presumably accept after having played as a freshman for the Wolverines in 2012-13.”

So far there's been no reports of who would be heading to New York in exchange or if there will be any salary retained. Trouba is owed $8 million for the next two seasons and submits a no-trade 15-team list on July 1. It's presumed, Detroit would be a team he's open to joining after spending one season at the University of Michigan and being a native of Rochester, Michigan.

The Rangers are looking to re-tool on the fly and spend some more money on impact forwards, leading Trouba to be a prime trade candidate this offseason. The Red Wings on the other hand freed up some salary cap space with a recent salary dump of Jake Walman to the San Jose Sharks and GM Steve Yzerman would like to upgrade his roster this summer. The Wings want to take a giant step forward next season and could see Trouba being a perfect #2 RHD option behind young star Mo Seider.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/06/report-rangers-red-wings-working-on.html

On 6/27/2024 at 9:19 AM, Bob Long said:

this is one where I would try to get Utah or some other bottom feeder to retain 1/2 and get him here. I doubt he wants to be in Canada but at this point who knows, maybe he waives given that our window is open again. 

Utah has a different game plan than Arizona did. They aren't going to be a cap dumping ground anymore. Besides that even if a team were willing to be a broker and eat 4 million for 2 seasons they would want us to pay through the nose.

• RWJC changed the title to [Speculation] Latest On Jacob Trouba - Detroit bound?

Brooks is reporting it is $2.5 million retained to Detroit.

I take Trouba at that price, $6.5 million for a mega top pairing guy.  Zadorov wanted more than 5 and he has little resume as a top 4 player.

Hughes-Trouba

Soucy-Hronek

Cole type vet - Myers

Juulsen

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

Brooks is reporting it is $2.5 million retained to Detroit.

I take Trouba at that price, $6.5 million for a mega top pairing guy.  Zadorov wanted more than 5 and he has little resume as a top 4 player.

Hughes-Trouba

Soucy-Hronek

Cole type vet - Myers

Juulsen

It would actually be 5.5 mil…

I do that deal all day long. Wonder if we were in on this.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It would actually be 5.5 mil…

I do that deal all day long. Wonder if we were in on this.

I would imagine that they would get an actual return if retaining this much, but they wouldn’t want to take money back.