[Signing] Canucks sign Joshua

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

There is an argument that keeping Silovs to a 2 way deal makes sense as he is waiver eligible. Meaning you can keep him in Abbotsford to develop while allowing him to call up when needed. 

Plus this allows the Canucks to rotate the goaltending more, something needed considering Demko's late season injury 

He needs another pro season or play 61 games in the NHL before he is waiver eligible. As for 2 way vs 1 way it wouldn't effect our cap in the least to sign him anywhere south of 1.15 million on a 1 way and leave him in Abby.

Edited by Coryberg

18 minutes ago, LunarPoetry said:

I get it - Benning made quite a few mistakes and Allvin is doing some master work. But the operating climates could not be more different. Benning was dealing with an unprecedented flat cap world whereas Allvin has an increased and increasing cap situation.

This is 2 players now that have taken below market deals - we have something special here and the players know it. Great signings, bring on some more!

Benning wasn't dealing with a flat cap when he signed Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Baertschi, and Gudbranson. 

• Like 1

Taking a bit less to re-sign in VAN knowing how high the expectations and scrutiny will be (internally and externally) after signing his new deal makes me think Dak is ready to be that consistent, reliable pro.  No more bad off seasons etc.  Wants to be a major contributor for this group and im glad to see it

• Like 3

Just now, Provost said:

Lower than he could have likely gotten in free agency, still a super risky signing.  A lot of term and dollars for a guy who was a career AHLer/fringe player and had one career year on a line that all the metrics said was being driven by Garland.

I agree but to give him some flowers his departure and return from the lineup was very noticeable.

He was a key Pker away from Garland

He was a Hit Monster

He did show an improving finishing ability

Lets hope he has a big summer and doesn't just maintain or regress slightly but actually get better. 

The coaches, the players all believe he an be an even more impactful forward. Lets hope we get that! If he can turn this into a value deal where he provides surplus thats the world I want to hope for here for him thats where this is a win.

Another discounted contract; another win by PA/JR. 

I’d be more than happy to see us get the band back together and use Miks freed up money to nab Petey a winger. All doable. 

As another poster has stated here - it feels amazing to be shedding dead/wasted cap. Our cap is very well utilized and for those who want to hold onto the buyouts to whine - they were necessary to make the team we currently have so slag off!

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Lower than he could have likely gotten in free agency, still a super risky signing.  A lot of term and dollars for a guy who was a career AHLer/fringe player and had one career year on a line that all the metrics said was being driven by Garland.

My worry exactly. If his scoring touch dwindles that is a lot of money for an elite 4th liner.

on the other hand If he can be a 15g 15a player who is up at the top of the league in hits we have good value, anything more is a bonus.

i was wrong he did take the 3.2ish @Elias Pettersson predicted. it's not too bad it's definitely less than what he would have gotten in UFA. let's hope he can continue building on the season he had with that 3rd line of bluegar dj and garland. now let see what JR ends up doing with the top 6 winger situation and zadorov

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

Benning wasn't dealing with a flat cap when he signed Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Baertschi, and Gudbranson. 

We were also never going to be contending during that period. Totally different mandates. Benning was building a core, Allvin is building a contender with some of the core that Benning assembled.

Contracts just determine how you get paid in minors, not waiver eligibility.  If he is waiver eligible they can send him down to play extra games if they want. 
‘Silovs will sign 2X1.1M 1 way deal.  I hope most road games are an Arty party and we should have Demko on a steady pace for 50 games. 
‘They will likely sign a veteran fringe guy as third string/vet to go with Tolipolo 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

We were also never going to be contending during that period. Totally different mandates. Benning was building a core, Allvin is building a contender with some of the core that Benning assembled.

That's revisionist history based on the results of those seasons. We were trying to do the same thing we're doing now with the exception of Pettersson's first year in the NHL. Benning was just worse at it. Why would you sign a 6x6 mil contract that's buyout proof with an older player like Eriksson if you weren't contending? Why would you sign older bottom-six players like Roussel and Beagle to 4 year contracts if you weren't contending and potentially mess up the cap when one would be contending? 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I know I am still in the minority, but I STILL like that Beagle deal. Lol. It's no surprise the year immediately after we traded him our PK went from semi passable at 79% to 74% the year after and 71% the year after that. I don't think the player was bad nor do I think the contract was terrible, but he did have a good amount of injury woes. Never gave us more than 60 games. I dunno. I always liked Beagle. If he were healthier I think it's whatever. That contract wasn't the reason we sucked, same with Roussel.

• Huggy Bear 1